Archived very few hours :( how long is this going to take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flow Team member here. Starting maybe 2 weeks ago they started severly cutting hours to every one! Both flow and backroom. I used to have 25 hours now I'm having 12 hours! With 3 hour shifts every truck day at 4am.

They also stupidly hired a lot of people, and of course that really affects a lot of flow people badly.

Why did this happen?

Also flow here so don't think I'm sympathizing with the man but Target wants their trucks knocked out fast. It sucks for us but trucks get done quicker with a lot of people with shorter shifts as opposed to a few people with long shifts. What you need to do is cross train in as many areas as possible and watch that swap shift sheet like a hawk. I don't like doing this either but its the same thing every year so might as well perfect your hour dance.

This time of the year sales are down compared to busier quarters so there's less hours to go around. Add in the fact that apparently sales are lower than usual right now company-wide and stores are looking to save payroll wherever they can.

If you need more hours, start looking into either another job or crosstraining into other workcenters and grabbing shifts you can. Once things get closer to summer and back to school, things pick up.

Can't help with the why. However, in many states you can file for Unemployment Compensation if your hours are 50% less than normal. Do not confer with HR before you file as they will likely tell you that you can't file. Just file and let the state make its own determination. After that you, Spot will likely increase your hours!

My biggest piece of advice is to try not take it personal. I know that I have made that mistake ( taking it personal) before and it leads to stress that you can do with out. Y ou start thinking...ok maybe I did something wrong...or they don't like me etc. I would also follow some of the feedback given in this thread about cross training. I can only speak for my store...but I know after the majority of the flow team has left...they will keep a few people to tie up loose ends Ie finish up a few repacks...or push autofills etc. I would just ask your Tl or etl, hey do you have any extra hours today...this serves a dual purpose. First, if they have extra hours it will help you out...secondly they will know that you want the hours and hopefully keep you in mind...and in time you wont even have to ask. Good luck

I have seen my store hire people...and didn't have the hours for their orientation...so the new hires had to sit around and wait. I would think that would send the wrong messagethe new employees out of the gate.
You are so correct!

I work flow, started as seasonal last fall. Since that time I've constantly made it known that I'm "Chasing hours". I always stay late when asked, work to my 6th hour, take a lunch etc. I've worked back room, pulls, audits, back stocking, pushed auto fills and CAFS, instocks, presentation etc. I get close to 40 hours a week. Availability and willingness to cross train is a key to getting more hours than what you are scheduled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back