Archived Wait, new hires have to wait A YEAR for insurance now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started working at Target in September last year. I was told I'd become eligible for insurance in 6 months, so I waited. Then, when Target changed their policies regarding which of their employees qualified for insurance, I made sure that I was above the 31.5 hour mark.

So my official 6 month mark came a day or two ago and I gave the insurance hotline a call. I figured my stuff was in the mail, but I just wanted to be sure. They told me Target won't cover me until I've been working there for a YEAR! This is the first I've heard from anybody regarding that.

So I went to my HR person and she is currently looking into it (will presumably have more info for me when I go in tomorrow). I'm just going to go ahead and assume it's the worst case scenario, and Target is pulling the rug from under me. But has anybody else heard about this? Really, really sucks.

Because it's only available to full-time people and full/part time status is figured at the end of the year, I would assume the earliest you can get on is if they are willing to refigure your status after a year. Unless you are an ETL, you aren't considered full-time after 6 months.

I believe you have to work 1000 hours first. At 32 hrs/week, you would have to work 8 months(31.25 weeks) to qualify.

Pretty sure you have to be there a year, was like that at my old store, didn't get open enrollment option until the next year.

Likewise I didn't get it this year since I quit and came back.

Considering the general track record for hours and the lack of PT health insurance, it kinda makes sense. If you're hired and getting more than FTE hours (or a TL) things may be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back