Archived "Wall Street Analysts Predict The Slow Demise Of Walmart And Target"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really that surprising. Of course they've been predicting the demise of big box retailers for some years now, it's just accelerating a bit. I wouldn't see Wal-Mart or Target going Chapter 7 for another decade or two. Chapter 11 much more likely, since it means the company reorganizes and attempts to remain solvent.

I don't believe it. Until we all have crazy 3D printers in our house, there will always be a demand for needing or wanting something now. While I think retail growth has hit a saturation point, their is still room for brick and mortar stores to integrate together with their respective shopping websites.

I do think that Target, barring more catastrophes will do a better job at integrating to this market than Wal-mart. I think our Customer(Guest) base is more tech savvy, and as we all age this will become even more important.

I don't think we will be seeing many more Super Targets however.

From an employee standpoint, I'd love working at a Target Express or Walgreens/DollarStore sized retail store as a TL or similar position. Granted, there wouldn't be much opportunity for advancement, but I like the all-around feel of small stores like that a lot more than ridiculously oversized retail stores

That's true, but delivery times are dropping every year. Amazon already offers same day delivery in major markets (it's available in my city on most anything that is sold by Amazon directly), and that's without a crazy fleet of drones or what-have-you. The gist of that article is that smaller convenience stores that are closer and offer more limited selection are covering a lot more all the time of what you need right now. Whereas Target's bread and butter usually isn't that kind of right-now need.

That's true, but delivery times are dropping every year. Amazon already offers same day delivery in major markets (it's available in my city on most anything that is sold by Amazon directly), and that's without a crazy fleet of drones or what-have-you. The gist of that article is that smaller convenience stores that are closer and offer more limited selection are covering a lot more all the time of what you need right now. Whereas Target's bread and butter usually isn't that kind of right-now need.

If that is true, it is a huge dream but, I could see a Target/Amazon merger as beneficial to reach those smaller markets for same day shipping.

Wal-mart however is way to huge to acquire.

The real winner will be whoever can both do Online Shopping, and In store shopping the best. I realize it is a huge pipe dream, but I'd imagine a Amazon/Target merger would inevitably put Walmart out of business (eventually).

It would especially work if they ever wanted less than a day delivery. Using each Target store as a mini-distribution center.

Last edited:

If that is true, it is a huge dream but, I could see a Target/Amazon merger as beneficial to reach those smaller markets for same day shipping.

The real winner will be whoever can both do Online Shopping, and In store shopping the best. I realize it is a huge pipe dream, but I'd imagine a Amazon/Target merger would inevitably put Walmart out of business (eventually).

It would especially work if they ever wanted less than a day delivery. Using each Target store as a mini-distribution center.

I could definitely see a Target-Amazon merger, and the sooner it happens, honestly, it's definitely more likely than Walmart-Amazon. I mean, Walmart doesn't even match Amazon's pricing so...at least we have that

Amazon won't downgrade to Targets level. Their logistics are light years ahead of ours.

The question is can Amazon survive without the brick and mortar stores to compare against?
Far too many people need to touch things before they buy them for the Internet to become the only source of products.
Look at how often people pull products out of the box when a display is sitting right in front of them.
I know for the bookselling end of it there are too many people who are looking for 'that blue book they saw on TV last month' for Amazon to replace bookstores completely.

This is the same as country music CDs topping the billboard charts. People that do not use the internet will continue to shop at wal-mart. Also poor people.

I don't believe it. Until we all have crazy 3D printers in our house, there will always be a demand for needing or wanting something now. While I think retail growth has hit a saturation point, their is still room for brick and mortar stores to integrate together with their respective shopping websites.

I do think that Target, barring more catastrophes will do a better job at integrating to this market than Wal-mart. I think our Customer(Guest) base is more tech savvy, and as we all age this will become even more important.

I don't think we will be seeing many more Super Targets however.

Walmart is already winning the website stuff, IMO (over target. Not amazon). They've had same day in store pickup for a long time, and before that, had site to store (target still doesn't do that). Wally even has an option to order from the website and then go to the store to pay in cash for your online items to be delivered.

I do hate that they're pulling an amazon/sears-kmart with the integration of other websites. So if I'm on the website, all the results are flooded with things sold from other e-retailers until I remember to select the option for wm only. Walmart has also had vudu for a number of years (target ticket competitor)

Edit: I wouldn't shop at target if I didn't work there. Dollar Tree is my favorite store... Then 5 below. Otherwise, amazon prime > shopping in store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Target and Amazon had a nasty breakup a year or two ago. Don't count on us getting back together again.

We still price match with them :D

Walmart is already winning the website stuff, IMO (over target. Not amazon). They've had same day in store pickup for a long time, and before that, had site to store (target still doesn't do that). Wally even has an option to order from the website and then go to the store to pay in cash for your online items to be delivered.

I do hate that they're pulling an amazon/sears-kmart with the integration of other websites. So if I'm on the website, all the results are flooded with things sold from other e-retailers until I remember to select the option for wm only. Walmart has also had vudu for a number of years (target ticket competitor)

Edit: I wouldn't shop at target if I didn't work there. Dollar Tree is my favorite store... Then 5 below. Otherwise, amazon prime > shopping in store.

We have same day in store pickup. I've seen it before. Someone ordered something on noon for FF that day and came in around 7PM when they got the e-mail.

A lot of markets are on the cusp of collapsing due to the convenience of the internet sucking up their business. The next twenty to thirty years should prove interesting.

As far as mass merchandisers, we'll see. No one seems to have broken the grocery market and people are inherently lazy. If the general merchandise is slightly more expensive but they can get it NOW compared to later today or tomorrow then retails like Target and Walmart may yet survive. May.

I know we have same day pickup now. I was saying that WM has had it for a longer time than us. Or maybe I didn't, but I meant to lol.

Oh, I see where my post got confusing. When I said "target still doesn't do that", I was specifically referring to the site to store thing which is when they'll ship items that aren't available at your store to the store of your choosing for free

Target has actually been responding quite well. They're piloting the order online and its shipped by store (same day) idea in some stores (bigger cities). They're getting into tech with the mobile coupons (cartwheel) flexible fulfillment once the word is out there better will create convenience that customers are looking for. We're already doing city target's with the smaller convenient size similar to the pharmacy stores... They're definitely moving in the right direction, and our maturity over last year isn't as bad as they make it.. I'd have to look at the company as a whole but my District overall only has 1 store that isn't in positive maturity in sales... While I do a lot of shopping on Amazon (mostly supplements lol) there will always be the times people want to get out of their house just to shop, or they want something now. While same day is nice, its still not NOW.. Say a college student, has a paper due in a few hours, are they going to order the printer ink online for same day delivery or run to the store quickly and grab it... (and of course many other situations can be applied here this was just a quick thought as I've had to do it myself.)

Pack and Ship or whatever it's called isn't gonna be any faster than ordering online from a distribution center. Depending on the carrier of course.

I went to the TECH Center (Temple U giant crazy computer lab thing. We all got an allotment of like a million prints per semester) when I ran out of ink a few times. Idk why any teacher isn't doing online submission though so it goes through turnitin for plagiarism check. That's not the point, though haha. I know what you mean. Your kid's stomach is all out of wack and you need pedialyte, you're not gonna order it. You're gonna run to path mark or whatever and get it ASAP.

Site to store or pack n ship aren't about quick fast for me. They're about "I need this but not enough that I wanna go looking for a store that carries it in store." Also "I need this but not enough to pay for shipping."

Target is definitely making tech moves (cartwheel, that new app that can pick target items from pictures, the new web design, the better search filters on the site, etc), but they're not doing anything to improve the store experience. My store has a dead zone right now where no PDAs work lol. There are some other non-tech reasons the store experience is shit, but I won't go into it.

I went to the TECH Center (Temple U giant crazy computer lab thing. We all got an allotment of like a million prints per semester) when I ran out of ink a few times. Idk why any teacher isn't doing online submission though so it goes through turnitin for plagiarism check. That's not the point, though haha. I know what you mean. Your kid's stomach is all out of wack and you need pedialyte, you're not gonna order it. You're gonna run to path mark or whatever and get it ASAP.

Site to store or pack n ship aren't about quick fast for me. They're about "I need this but not enough that I wanna go looking for a store that carries it in store." Also "I need this but not enough to pay for shipping."

Target is definitely making tech moves (cartwheel, that new app that can pick target items from pictures, the new web design, the better search filters on the site, etc), but they're not doing anything to improve the store experience. My store has a dead zone right now where no PDAs work lol. There are some other non-tech reasons the store experience is shit, but I won't go into it.

Back up whats this picturr app item thing

It's called "In a Snap," currently available for Apple devices only (figures). https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/in-a-snap/id879596104?mt=8

Sort of a decent concept, except that it only works like Google Goggles insofar as specially made ads work with it. You take a pic of the special ad and you can shop the items in the picture on Target.com.

Ohhhh, I didn't know it only worked with certain ads. That's sorta stupid, sorta handy. It sounds like a rudimentary version of one of amazon's fire phone features. That entire phone brings people back to amazon to buy moar stuff. It's evil genius. They could give the things away for free and they'd still be winning, but that's not what we're talking about, so moving on...

That article is from 2007 and yes Sears has been teetering back and forth with business problems along with JCP but they haven't folded yet keyword yet. I highly,highly doubt the dollar stores will take away Target's business. The only store that I believe has any chance of folding is Sears and JCP and they have been saying for years they are going out business and guess what? They haven't..... Same with Best Buy. People love doom and gloom. Target is the only store that people actually like ( seriously) it's clean and has nice clothing so again doubtful it is going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back