Archived Was "fired" for being on educational LOA for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Target allowed to do this? I didn't work most of last year because I was in school. I didn't work the holidays because I was taking Winter interim classes.

So fast forward to a couple of months ago, my mom said I got a letter and a check from Target. I told her to open it for me and it tells me that I "voluntarily terminated" my employment with Target.

I was told by HR multiple times that I could stay on educational LOA for as long as I need to. So why did they forge my signature on the voluntary termination paperwork? It's not voluntary if I don't have a say in it.

Anything I can do to help fix this? Or should I consider legal action against the store?

HR was wrong or they assumed you would come back within a year (most TMs do). It's their word against yours, nothing more you can do.

When you go back home, you can apply again. Due to the raises the past few years, you'll probably start out at the same or higher than you were making before.

And I highly doubt they "forged your signature" on anything.

Our educational LOAs are required to work Black Friday and the week before Christmas. There are no classes on those days. You basically abandoned your job so it is voluntary no signature needed.
Well now that's bullshit. What if my store is in LA and I go to school in Boston? If I decide not to go home for the holiday, I'm fired?

Dude it's retail Target expects you to work the holidays, you know the busiest time for them. Be happy they even give you an option for LOA, and besides focus on your school and have a job outside of retail.

First let me say that what happened to you sucks.

Now, I will also say that as a responsible adult it is your responsibility to manage your employer while you are on loa.

Did you contact them during your leave?
How many times?
Did they contact you?

If you are on infinite Loa and can't even work the holiday season, you have to expect them to just let you go. It's unreasonable to assume otherwise.

Don't waste your time trying to sue them, you'll lose, badly. And it would cost you significantly more money than you would get anyway.

5422a8c556f126809f35cd29768a03eb.jpg

Sorry I've been MIA, forgot to check for responses. I worked more than a few shifts last January
Our educational LOAs are required to work Black Friday and the week before Christmas. There are no classes on those days. You basically abandoned your job so it is voluntary no signature needed.
Was never told this, I contacted them multiple times about working. And I don't know where you went to school, but at my school we can take classes in the month between semesters. So yes, there are classes those days (friday and weeks before xmas)

Last question on your loa, did you put a date of return to spot on your loa? For ex: December 1st. If you not return on that date, could be the reason you were let go.
You can contact tmsc for more help.

To bump this thread educational LOA can go up to one calendar year. Should you not return HR is supposed to send you a certified letter via USPS to either terminate or contact the store.

Unfortunately I call a lot of our loas and they never call back. I don't feel bad terminating them if you want the job you would at least communicate with us.

did you maybe get any calls from HR? usually my store attempts to call the employee asking about when they're coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back