Archived Water on the salesfloor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLN13

Hardlines TM
I know we are supposed to get a doctors note to be able to keep a bottled water behind the service desk or something — I have a couple questions.

1. How hard is this to get? Does there really have to be a legitimate reason, or if I have my mom take me to the doctor will they write a note? There’s no specific reason. I just get thirsty running around picking flexes all day without a drink.

2. A GSTL ‘caught’ me before and asked me to put my drink away unless I have a doctors note. Should I show her the doctors note or like once I get it what do I do with it?

3. Open containers are a Steritech violation - if somebody has a doctors note, does that make it not a Steritech violation?

Thanks everyone. Might be overthinking this but just wondering.

Hide it inside of a spill station or keep it with you/in your vehicle while you’re picking

I know we are supposed to get a doctors note to be able to keep a bottled water behind the service desk or something — I have a couple questions.

1. How hard is this to get? Does there really have to be a legitimate reason, or if I have my mom take me to the doctor will they write a note? There’s no specific reason. I just get thirsty running around picking flexes all day without a drink.

2. A GSTL ‘caught’ me before and asked me to put my drink away unless I have a doctors note. Should I show her the doctors note or like once I get it what do I do with it?

3. Open containers are a Steritech violation - if somebody has a doctors note, does that make it not a Steritech violation?

Thanks everyone. Might be overthinking this but just wondering.
To actually answer your questions:

1.) super easy, any doctor should do it. Just tell them you need a note for work.

2.) the note should go to HR and just tell anyone who asks you have one. If they care they’ll just verify with HR that you indeed have one.

3.) the violation is only in good safe areas like Starbucks and the produce coolers and such. If you’re just doing reshop make sure you have a sealed bottle and you’re fine. As for my cashiers with notes I allow any water with a cover even the occasional Starbucks cup.

All the being said I don’t agree with the policy but I just try and enforce when necessary. I’ll vouch for any of my cashiers that want water at their registers as long as it’s sealed and it doesn’t interrupt the guest interaction.

Hide it inside of a spill station or keep it with you/in your vehicle while you’re picking
This is what I did and when I was putting away an order the GSTL saw it...

To actually answer your questions:

1.) super easy, any doctor should do it. Just tell them you need a note for work.

2.) the note should go to HR and just tell anyone who asks you have one. If they care they’ll just verify with HR that you indeed have one.

3.) the violation is only in good safe areas like Starbucks and the produce coolers and such. If you’re just doing reshop make sure you have a sealed bottle and you’re fine. As for my cashiers with notes I allow any water with a cover even the occasional Starbucks cup.

All the being said I don’t agree with the policy but I just try and enforce when necessary. I’ll vouch for any of my cashiers that want water at their registers as long as it’s sealed and it doesn’t interrupt the guest interaction.
My mom can’t believe that we require a doctors note but I don’t think it’s really that uncommon in retail.
Do I have to actually have some kind of medical condition to get a doctors note though? Or will a doctor write one anyways?

At my store we have water fountains
Obviously we have water fountains but not at the service desk... when flexes are dropping like flies, drive ups are on the way, and the phones ringing I don’t always have time to run over to the water fountain all the way down by the bathrooms. This is what I’m doing now but it’s just a hassle.

My mom can’t believe that we require a doctors note but I don’t think it’s really that uncommon in retail.
Do I have to actually have some kind of medical condition to get a doctors note though? Or will a doctor write one anyways?
I just went in and told him I need a doctors note to have water at work and he wrote me a note.

We just keep water hidden at our registers or under the Service Desk at my store and just make it a rule to not drink in the Guests' faces. Cashiers, drink when your lane is empty; Service Desk, same but go behind the wall (or just leave your bottle back there). Our ETL-GE is aware and we have never had issues.

I think the steritech thing is a made-up rule when we have guests spilling their pumpkin spice lattes and overpriced watered-down teas all over the store. We only ever hear about it when they're having problems with TMs leaving empty energy drink cans and those water cups from sbux all over the place, which is understandable to a degree. I always encourage new TMs to use reusable bottles they're less likely to abandon because they paid for them, and hope they don't ruin it for the rest of us.

I allow all of my TMs to have water in a closed bottle with a lid as long as they keep it out of sight and throw it out when they leave. I used to allow Starbucks and other drinks but too many times I've walked by and just see melted fraps and old soda bottle just piling up. I have to clean up enough after the guests, I'm not doing it for TMs. After months of warnings I finally put my foot down. Water only and if you leave it behind then you lose the privilege.

I mean my ETLs drink Starbucks and walk the store all day. My PTL drinks Mountain Dew and walks around with it. I once bought one of those 59 fl. oz. bottles of Honest Tea, taped the receipt around it, and drank that as I zoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back