Pricing and Presentation We Need Shelves

Anyone else hurting on shelving? We finished the ODL reset and needed even more shelves than we did for the Christmas set. Then with all the salesplanners resetting, we were stealing wherever we could which was a feat cause of all the flex, dcode and clearance taking up any available shelf.

Lozier (the company that makes the shelves) doesn't even show up in Go Cart, so ordering more is impossible (I know they were shut down during the start of the pandemic). My ETL has reached out to other stores, but it's the same across the board locally.

We get these shelf-intensive sets and no additional shelves are sent or available... what are you doing to get the workload done?

We haven't yet reached a point where we couldn't set something. Endcaps are a bit easier to fake out because you can combine shelves together at least. If it came down to it, I would remove clearance & flex items from the floor to set new items, even using Item Removal if necessary since it does give the option of No Room to Remerchandise now.

I know corporate has given direction to those who create the new Pogs for any and all areas that they cannot add shelves to any new Pogs. It has become so dire that I heard remodel/new stores are having to steal shelves from existing stores. Which seems so much like the Spot way- rob Peter to pay Paul. 🙄 Since supply isn't there, it would make better sense to just not remodel or open any new stores until it bounces back.

We make do with fewer shelves and refuse to share ours as a primary strategy. We will sometimes make ends with one less shelf and some slightly ugly spacing. I prioritize ends that have fewer shelves.

We haven't yet reached a point where we couldn't set something. Endcaps are a bit easier to fake out because you can combine shelves together at least. If it came down to it, I would remove clearance & flex items from the floor to set new items, even using Item Removal if necessary since it does give the option of No Room to Remerchandise now.

I know corporate has given direction to those who create the new Pogs for any and all areas that they cannot add shelves to any new Pogs. It has become so dire that I heard remodel/new stores are having to steal shelves from existing stores. Which seems so much like the Spot way- rob Peter to pay Paul. 🙄 Since supply isn't there, it would make better sense to just not remodel or open any new stores until it bounces back.
I was wondering about the supply of all types of fixtures for remodels. We're scheduled for a major one this spring.

They probably HAVE to expand or remodel as a budgetary requirement or risk paying more taxes or something related to the large influx of money they made over the past 2 years.

Honestly, I think this would be a great time to cut back on full resets and just have fronts be the primary and rears be seasonal reduction/flex.

I'm wondering if this is also why Toy reset was pushed to Feb (through it's still in Jan workload).

We had plenty of shelves till our dsd said we needed to consolidate our fixture room before 4th quarter now we need like half a pallets worth

Same here. Short on all sizes but especially end caps because we shared with another store last year. We make adjustments by deleting shelves for dually located merch and changing capacities. Not a perfect solution but it gets us by. Not everything looks great in the back but we try to keep the integrity of the racetrack endcaps.
We had PLENTY at one time - what hurt us the most was the fixture room refresh that said “no shelves on wall higher than eight feet” - we had nowhere else to put them at the time and swept 2 pallets back - miss those now.
I wish we had TIME to clean our fixture room PROPERLY. If we are given a hour or two the only thing we can do is throw stuff away to make it LOOk neat - would be far better to have the time to ACTUALLY put it away !

It's affecting most stores. Target is allocating resources to remodels and new stores, so it's pretty much impossible to get anything from Lozier.

Same here. Short on all sizes but especially end caps because we shared with another store last year. We make adjustments by deleting shelves for dually located merch and changing capacities. Not a perfect solution but it gets us by. Not everything looks great in the back but we try to keep the integrity of the racetrack endcaps.
We had PLENTY at one time - what hurt us the most was the fixture room refresh that said “no shelves on wall higher than eight feet” - we had nowhere else to put them at the time and swept 2 pallets back - miss those now.
I wish we had TIME to clean our fixture room PROPERLY. If we are given a hour or two the only thing we can do is throw stuff away to make it LOOk neat - would be far better to have the time to ACTUALLY put it away !
Our shelves go to the ceiling (when we have them). The only change was how we stored them. We used to hang a shelf, then put one upside on it before hanging another. This allowed you to store about 50% more shelves in a column. Now we're only allow to hang them, no stacking. Said it was a safety thing (though we've been doing it the other way for well over a decade without incident).

Only thing I like about not having shelves, is how clean and open my fixture room looks now. HA!

Not being able to order shelves is killing my store, the chip shelves used for Frito-Lay are broken (to the point where we had to zip tie them together....) and we are unable to order more to replace the broken ones... I told my PML to contact his boss to see if anything can be done since I don't think zip ties are good to use to hold shelves up. Additionally, I ran out of endcap shelves today...

Anyone else hurting on shelving? We finished the ODL reset and needed even more shelves than we did for the Christmas set. Then with all the salesplanners resetting, we were stealing wherever we could which was a feat cause of all the flex, dcode and clearance taking up any available shelf.

Lozier (the company that makes the shelves) doesn't even show up in Go Cart, so ordering more is impossible (I know they were shut down during the start of the pandemic). My ETL has reached out to other stores, but it's the same across the board locally.

We get these shelf-intensive sets and no additional shelves are sent or available... what are you doing to get the workload done?
If there is a store nearby starting a remodel soon, see if they can send you a few pallets.

If there is a store nearby starting a remodel soon, see if they can send you a few pallets.
If they start they won’t give any unless they are really stupid . One that’s ending yeah they will give it away since they don’t have to go thru the trouble of scheduling a pick up .

I had to significantly cut back on riser shelves for the holiday season in order to be able to set TAT and even then I was short base desks and had to use 20-inch shelves sloped as base decks (after PMBP approval). With the TAT set now taken down, I have a comfortable amount of 18s. The risers that do remain I will remove soon and move to Bulk Plastics. Basedesks and the gondola supports are what my store is dangerously low on. Unfortunately, our store partially got itself into this situation. My Presentation team had wrapped two pallets of shelves and one pallet of base desks and an ETL trying to clear and make space in the steel kindly metal recycled all three pallets and now we can't get any more parts. Borrowing from other stores doesn't work that well because all stores are facing the same struggles and it's everyone for themselves right now.

I had to significantly cut back on riser shelves for the holiday season in order to be able to set TAT and even then I was short base desks and had to use 20-inch shelves sloped as base decks (after PMBP approval). With the TAT set now taken down, I have a comfortable amount of 18s. The risers that do remain I will remove soon and move to Bulk Plastics. Basedesks and the gondola supports are what my store is dangerously low on. Unfortunately, our store partially got itself into this situation. My Presentation team had wrapped two pallets of shelves and one pallet of base desks and an ETL trying to clear and make space in the steel kindly metal recycled all three pallets and now we can't get any more parts. Borrowing from other stores doesn't work that well because all stores are facing the same struggles and it's everyone for themselves right now.
I’m just surprised you were allowed having risers .

Our riser shelves were taken earlier in the year for fulfillment so we didn't do them this year. I have the advantage that almost everyone in my store asks me before tossing anything in case we need it for later. And any pallets I make of shelves are labeled with Do Not Toss and for what area (Mini/Seasonal) they are needed.

Year round risers have recently been approved for my department by our group director. There are enough restrictions on how I can utilize them that the benefit is kind of meh. But, they'll help alleviate some backroom congestion at least.

Back