Archived What am I doing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am actually black so nothing I said was specific to race. In fact the store is extremely diverse and everybody just kind of acts the same. Maybe if I stick around long enough I'll eventually gain their "fuck this job" mentality and just won't care about how I represent target or how the guest precieve my service. What's really funny is I asked spoke to some of the ladies here and it turns out none of them want to work here. It actually confused me because they had been here so long. I went ahead and quit. If everyone is unhappy then I doubt it's a job I would enjoy doing no matter where they placed. Thanks for the feedback everyone and enjoy life at Target.

What? People...don't LIKE their retail job? Weird! I never heard of such a thing! I always thought retail and fast food companies had some of the happiest workers in the world!!!

Also you guys should really learn to read in between the lines better or don't do it all. Everything isn't always about race. You all took the word ratchet and related it to a whole race of people. When in fact anybody of any race can be seen as ratchet.
Or bourgeois.....

Or any other word. You all assumed I was talking about black people as if we are the only race to act a certain way at work. Then you guys also assumed I wasn't black because what? My high expectations for a company, my perception of how people act at work, or my use of the term ratchet to describe people? Nothing I said singled out race.

Is it kind of a take off on "wretched" that is turned up- really , REALLY wretched? ( ratcheted up like Kartman said)
The only person I ever heard use this word was Miley when she said she "wasn't no ratchet girl" I figured that was just Miley being Miley till I read this thread. I love to know what's up with the hip crowd. :eek::eek::eek:

Or any other word. You all assumed I was talking about black people as if we are the only race to act a certain way at work. Then you guys also assumed I wasn't black because what? My high expectations for a company, my perception of how people act at work, or my use of the term ratchet to describe people? Nothing I said singled out race.

That's all irrelevant. This is about you riding around on your high-horse and making the most petty complaints about your job, after only being there a week. And then you ask for our advice because you apparently can't make your own decisions in life. And then you got upset when no one said what you wanted to hear.
That

I also love the phrase "riding around on a high horse" we say it in our family all the time , as in " she gets up on her high horse whenever she has had a few too many "

I think it comes from a nursery rhyme about a " fine lady upon a high horse going to Banbury Cross"

Being on a high horse usually means a person who sees themselves as being better than everyone else. Some people on this thread probably think I'm on my high horse because of my opinion on the target employees.

Being on a high horse usually means a person who sees themselves as being better than everyone else. Some people on this thread probably think I'm on my high horse because of my opinion on the target employees.
Yes, that's pretty much how the tone of your post came across to me.
But you've now quit so it's over. Good luck and hope you find something that works out well for you.

Yes I figured that much. I'm just a stickler for customer service and professional behavior.

Wait a minute- you quit? I am sorry it didn't work out and I wish you well.
I always find honesty refreshing and brave. Keep on keeping on.

Sorry, I just read your post about quitting. I quit once too, but I asked them to take me back- like Sly and the Family Stone said " different st r ones for different folks"

Yes Patty I quit. The HR guy is extremely nice. I spoke with him again to quit and told him it wasn't for me but I would stick it out for two more weeks since the schedule was made. It would be an ahole move to just leave them hanging. He offered to transfer me to a different store but I declined. Although I already signed my papers every time he walked pass my register he would tell me to reconsider.

tumblr_mine16c3ZQ1qg44uto1_r1_500.gif

PRO-TIP: Using the word "ratchet" is the quickest way to become "ratchet."

Maybe she meant cashiers you'd see at Wal-Mart. Jkz

I'm sorry to have offended you. What I said was inappropriate, racist, and totally wrong. It was insulting to the OP as a Person Of Color, and insulting to all People Of Color to assume that being ratchet is at all associated with race.

Patty if someone came to you and said, " omg there are a bunch of ratchet females being obnoxious in front on the store ", would you automatically assume they where black? You can't take a description of behavior and assume the race. I'm not going to make this thread about race interpretation though.

Patty if someone came to you and said, " omg there are a bunch of ratchet females being obnoxious in front on the store ", would you automatically assume they where black? You can't take a description of behavior and assume the race. I'm not going to make this thread about race interpretation though.

I would think there's a bunch of thots in front of the store. Haha.

I don't communicate very well and I really don't want to dig myself into a hole trying. I am going to delete my post .

Race is a sensitive issue. If you're not black, you really shouldn't be telling this black woman that her experience/observation about racism is invalid. Just be quiet and stay in your lane. If a person of color says something, then you should just listen or ignore it. And yes, I think it was pretty racist to automatically think that she was talking about black people when she described the people as ratchet. But everyone's a little racist, it's better to understand that and own up to it rather than talk about "how it's not racist."

It's the equivalent of you really hurting someone (emotionally) and then you being like "well I didn't mean it" - so what? It doesn't matter if you didn't mean it. You still hurt the person's feelings so own up to it.

Disclaimer: Before you guys get all "fuck this social justice warrior"-mode. I'm talking very generally, and I do not want to get into an argument about race.

Btw, young (non-black) people in urban cities constantly use African American vernacular such as "ratchet" or "on fleek" or "on point." I'm from a very "valley girl" area and have seen middle/upper-class blonde white girls describe each other as "ratchet." Back then people had issues with "fo shizzle" or "in da house" I guess now the issue is all the new words.

Sidenote: this is the second occurrence here that I've seen (within just one day) where people just don't like the usage of certain words, in a thread I made about "selling" the redcard someone was like "you don't SELL a redcard, people don't BUY a redcard, they signup for it" - just an observation.

Anyway, OP, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I also expected Target employees to be "classier" (not just the employees, but the job in general), but (like someone said) a lot of Target employees seem to be just as "ratchet" as Walmart employees. I keep reading that the cashier position is like the worst job at Target because of the Redcard, but you really should've expected it to be repetitive. I'm curious what the TL said/did to you.

Last edited:
Race is a sensitive issue. If you're not black, you really shouldn't be telling this black woman that her experience/observation about racism is invalid. Just be quiet and stay in your lane. If a person of color says something, then you should just listen or ignore it. And yes, I think it was pretty racist to automatically think that she was talking about black people when she described the people as ratchet. But everyone's a little racist, it's better to understand that and own up to it rather than talk about "how it's not racist."

It's the equivalent of you really hurting someone (emotionally) and then you being like "well I didn't mean it" - so what? It doesn't matter if you didn't mean it. You still hurt the person's feelings so own up to it.

Disclaimer: Before you guys get all "fuck this social justice warrior"-mode. I'm talking very generally, and I do not want to get into an argument about race.

Btw, young (non-black) people in urban cities constantly use African American vernacular such as "ratchet" or "on fleek" or "on point." I'm from a very "valley girl" area and have seen middle/upper-class blonde white girls describe each other as "ratchet." Back then people had issues with "fo shizzle" or "in da house" I guess now the issue is all the new words.

Sidenote: this is the second occurrence here that I've seen (within just one day) where people just don't like the usage of certain words, in a thread I made about "selling" the redcard someone was like "you don't SELL a redcard, people don't BUY a redcard, they signup for it" - just an observation.

Anyway, OP, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I also expected Target employees to be "classier" (not just the employees, but the job in general), but (like someone said) a lot of Target employees seem to be just as "ratchet" as Walmart employees. I keep reading that the cashier position is like the worst job at Target because of the Redcard, but you really should've expected it to be repetitive. I'm curious what the TL said/did to you.

4768681697_077a6cc116_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back