Archived What are Target's Break Rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im 4am flow. We normally take our first break at 8am, that's all fine and cool. Now if were schulded until 11:00 were told by our ETL that we should take out second break(a fifteenth ) at 10:45 and then leave at 11am. So we've been doing that for the last year. Ok, so now I've recently talked to the ETL HR and he said we should be taking another 30(paid) because we were scheduled for 7 hours.

So does anyone know if it should be a 15 mintue break or a 30? I'm not sure if I should listen to my ETL-LOG or the HR-ETL.

If you work more than six hours you must take a 30 minute unpaid break and you should get at least one 15 paid.

In some states, you get a 45 min. meal. Your first break is probably supposed to be a 30 min. meal (or 45 min., depending on what state you're in) - how my ETL has it set up is that you take your 30 min. meal first (usually between 8am and 9am....we are 4am flow as well), then if scheduled til 11, you get a 15 min break, however, if scheduled til 12 or 12:30, there should be 2 15 min. breaks in there.

Sorry forgot about the 45 minute states.
Good catch @PricingMaster

When I worked flow they actually combined the two 15 minute breaks into a 30 minute for the people working an eight hour shift.
Worked out very well and everybody liked it.
It wasn't until a new ETL HR came in and freaked out that they changed it.

I'm 4am at the moment and we take our 1st 15 around 6, 30 minute lunch between 8 and 9 and our last 15 at 11 (if we are gunna be there till at least noon.)

We're a 4AM store and flow goes on a 15 around 6. If anyone is staying after 9 they take a 45 somewhere between 8-8:45. When on overnights a 30 min lunch is all that is required (as per the posting on the wall in TSC).

in PA you have one paid break if you work under 6 hours. a break and a lunch over 6 hours and 2 breaks and a lunch over 7 hours. My 4am store takes their first break at 6:15 lunch at 9:30 and they are rarely there for a last break but if they do its at 11

If you work 7 hours or more you get 2 15 minute breaks and a 30 min meal. At our store they take their 30 minute at 8 am and then they take there two 15s together at 1030.

Here, we have to take our lunch before our 5th hour. Depending on the state, if you've been working 7 hour days with no lunch for a whole year, its very possible Target's going to get in big trouble.

Last edited:
Here, we have to take our lunch before our 5th hour. Depending on the state, if you've been working 7 hour days with no lunch for a whole year, its very possible Target's going to get in big trouble.
Same with my state....the labor laws here state you are required to get a 30 minute break by the 5th hour & Target gives 2-15 minutes if you're scheduled 6+ hours. Are you taking a 30 (well, 31) at 8 am? If so, then they're fine...

At my store they use the time we are supposed to leave to schedule our breaks. It is unusual for us to leave when we are supposed to. So most of us that should get a second break never do. It's always bugged me because our store looks the other way if BP is ignored when it works in their favor.

Our store takes a 15 at 6am then does the early morning huddle. The majority of team members leave by 9:30. Only a few take a lunch and stay.

Different from everyone as expected...our store does 45 minute lunch before 5th hour of work, second breaks come if you work at least 7 hours scheduled. Although each store should clearly have the guidelines posted on the communication board containing the schedule.

Theres not really a "rule" but a lot of people utilize the two hour rule.... every two hours you should have a break or a lunch. So if you come in at 4am, your first break should be 6am, then lunch at 8am, then your last break at 11ish. Not all people utilize this idea but its often helpful to keep track if you have people coming in at multiple times...

When I worked flow they actually combined the two 15 minute breaks into a 30 minute for the people working an eight hour shift.
Worked out very well and everybody liked it.
It wasn't until a new ETL HR came in and freaked out that they changed it.

This is how our overnight teams do their breaks. After 3 hours or so, they take lunch (45 min). 2 or 3 hours later, they take a 30-min break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back