Archived What can you tell me about working at a distribution center

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the work like, hours, benefits, pay, vacation, all that stuff? Also do you need to know how to drive forklift or do they train you to do that?

You'll work for group leaders, instead etl's. You have to do a physical test when hired. You will get certs on all equipment. Dc's are runned differently than a store.(me)

You'll work for group leaders, instead etl's. You have to do a physical test when hired. You will get certs on all equipment. Dc's are runned differently than a store.(me)

So I won't need prior forklift experience then?

Also what do shifts normally run?

Oh and thank you for the help so far

Spot likes to have cert tm's on equipment, with the spot name on it. Don't you will get the cert, just for all certs. It could lead more hours for you.

Shifts are Tues-Fri 6-430 and 430-1 Sat-Mon 6am-6pm and 6pm-6am
Attendance is the easiest way to get cut. Try not to be even a minute late in the first 90 days.
after that keep it under under 4days in a 12 month period. DON'T OPERATE EQUIPMENT YOU ARE NOT CERT FOR!!!
Ask your trainer questions and how you are doing. Most have been around for awhile and know how to get the
job done the easiest way.

ok, hours are slightly different at my DC B1 runs 6am-4pm, B2 runs 4pm-2am. B3 isn't really a concern for most but they run 9pm-7am

Those are the 4 day work keys at a DC, they work Tuesday thru Friday. B3 is a FacOPs key where the majority of the PM's are preformed. Of course there are the A keys A1 6am to 6pm and A2 6pm to 6am, A keys work on Saturday Sunday and Monday. If your just starting your likely to get put on A2, it tends to be a feeder key, people move to day shifts as they get the chance.

Alright, let's try this. Can you explain the different positions at a DC?

I have 0 clue what a key is. PM. Feeder key.

Not a clue.

Sorry about that a "key" is targets name for a shift. PM is short for preventative maintenance that's what the maintenance guys do.

the departments in a typical DC are

Outbound, where most of the new people get put they pack out the trailers to go to stores, also depalitize freight, and operate the sorter and get all the hate from the store people.
Inbound, the people who unload trailers coming into the DC
Warehousing, when a product must be stored in the DC prior to being shipped to a store these are the people that put it away and pick it so it can go to packing or outbound
Packing, they pack out reusable boxes to be shipped to a store from case packs received from the supplier.
FacOps, Targets strange little name for a maintenance department.

yes I know I'm over simplifying things here, trying to keep it simple and quick

Can you ever be rehired at a DC? I had applied before for a packing position but at the time was told none would be open until that september (I had applied in july). I could have waited but my other job had already cut my hours back drastically and I needed something so I took an outbound job. I wasn't fired but because I was so out of shape I had really problems keeping up. So one night I had a heart to heart with my GL (who I got along with really well) and told him I didn't think I was the right person for the job. He told me he thought I was a hard worker and praised me for never complaining (I could tell he was sincere too). So I don't feel I left on bad terms at all. But I'm just wondering when a packer position opens up again in my area and I apply for it if I'd even be considered having already worked for target DC before.

Can anyone give me more information about my job at a DC?

I was recently hired at around $15.00/hr, A-2 key in warehousing.
I start soon and am just trying to find out as much information as I can.

I figured I'd just revive this thread instead of starting a new one.

Thanks.

Can anyone give me more information about my job at a DC?

I was recently hired at around $15.00/hr, A-2 key in warehousing.
I start soon and am just trying to find out as much information as I can.

I figured I'd just revive this thread instead of starting a new one.

Thanks.

Welcome to The Break Room! Greenshirt is our DC expert, he can provide you with more info.

Good morning, evening or what ever this is (It's an A2 way of looking at things you'll find that out after a while)

Well Aperson, what do you want to know about the wonderful world of target distribution? A2 typically runs from 6pm to 6am (this varies a little from state to state) breaks are at 10pm and 2 am( at least at my DC)now since you've said your starting in warehousing you will likely start with the basic tasks of running repal or feeding.

Repal consists of taking cartons off the direct to flow line and sorting them into there appropriate cage carts so they can be sent to the packers. This sortation is based off of information on the conveyable flow label. I really need to do a picture of a label to properly explain but that might be tricky to arrange without making my building # to public.

Feeding is simpler, each packing mod has it's own backlog of freight that will need to be processed, you will cut open case packs and keep freight on the line for the packers.

Once you show up you'll have a little tour of some of the key parts of the building, I.E. where the bathrooms are, breakrooms, where your supposed to be so on and so forth. You'll learn the basics from a trainer and get put to work. Should you have any questions that day a week from that day or at any time ask your trainer or group leader, remember there are no stupid questions just stupid people. lol.

Now please remember the following 2 things. 1rst NEVER operate equipment your not certified on, TGT doesn't care if you have 45 years experience running forklifts, if they haven't trained you your not allowed. 2nd if you break something please let someone in Engineering and Facilities know, we can't fix it if we don't know it's broke.

Theres some good info in this thread, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask of private message me.

Good morning, evening or what ever this is (It's an A2 way of looking at things you'll find that out after a while)

Well Aperson, what do you want to know about the wonderful world of target distribution? A2 typically runs from 6pm to 6am (this varies a little from state to state) breaks are at 10pm and 2 am( at least at my DC)now since you've said your starting in warehousing you will likely start with the basic tasks of running repal or feeding.

Repal consists of taking cartons off the direct to flow line and sorting them into there appropriate cage carts so they can be sent to the packers. This sortation is based off of information on the conveyable flow label. I really need to do a picture of a label to properly explain but that might be tricky to arrange without making my building # to public.

Feeding is simpler, each packing mod has it's own backlog of freight that will need to be processed, you will cut open case packs and keep freight on the line for the packers.

Once you show up you'll have a little tour of some of the key parts of the building, I.E. where the bathrooms are, breakrooms, where your supposed to be so on and so forth. You'll learn the basics from a trainer and get put to work. Should you have any questions that day a week from that day or at any time ask your trainer or group leader, remember there are no stupid questions just stupid people. lol.

Now please remember the following 2 things. 1rst NEVER operate equipment your not certified on, TGT doesn't care if you have 45 years experience running forklifts, if they haven't trained you your not allowed. 2nd if you break something please let someone in Engineering and Facilities know, we can't fix it if we don't know it's broke.

Theres some good info in this thread, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask of private message me.

Thanks for the reply.

Didn't really have any particular questions. Just looking for as much info and tips as possible.

How does the power equipment certification work? In the warehousing position, how often do you get to use the power equipment?
I work at a certain home improvement store right now and have experience driving pickers, reach trucks, and fork lifts. The lifts are about the only thing I like about my current job B)

2nd if you break something please let someone in Engineering and Facilities know, we can't fix it if we don't know

Lol, i was wondering if the name change was corporate wide or just our DC. They will always be FacOps to me tho

To Aperson,
At my DC, warehousing people spend 95% of their shift on equipment. Getting certified is easy. If the job your assigned requires a particular peice of equipment then beforehand they will assign a trainer to fill out some paperwork for you, then give you a basic rundown of how to operate it. The first couple of days you will have to wear a bright orange vest so everyone will know your training and can watch out! Lol.

Strong piece of advice. You would be amazed how devastating it is for your feet to stand on the same equipment for 10 to 12 hours. Invest in some VERY comforterable shoes (target approved of course). Buy some gel insoles or something, because otherwise it will feel like your feet were beaten with a bat by the time you get home

oh same here Super, i'm always going to think FacOps but it's one of those great corporate ideas.

Aperson: once you get started your GL will decide what rolls you are needed in, be it cartonaire, FPP, GPM, ect these rolls determine what equipment you'll be certified on.
Cartonaire = cartons in the air, go get an order picker and pick freight from the racks
FPP= Full Pallet pulls/ puts, reach truck some times Crown RC forklift
GPM= general Pallet movements, Tugger and at my DC Crown PR.
equipment will vary slightly with DC, I.E. I've seen Crown PR's with short 80 inch forks and know that somewhere in the pyramid they used to have TSP's

If your certified on a piece of equipment you'll need to use that equipment to do your job so expect to spend most of the night on it. in order to get certified you'll first get what's referred to as a permit, you watch a video and take a test, you then put on a nice high-vis orange vest to ID you as a new operator and get to begin your hands on training. We typically run our new operators through a course constructed of pallets away from anything they could actually break and they get instructed on how to preform simple tasks. you'll be shown how to change the battery on the exact equipment and how to red tag it if it's defective. you'll have to wear the orange vest for the first night of operating most equipment. I will say if you've got experience operating powered industrial truck bring that up to your GL that makes you a lot more valuable to TGT, it means your trainable on our equipment and there for maybe worth keeping. If you hit something with the lift stop get off and go tell your GL, TGT likes accountability. Now if you cause over $200 dollars of damage your going to have to go out for a tidy bowl test, but hopefully you don't need to worry about that.

Now I really don't know the greatest amount of detail about all warehousing operations but i think that's a good basic explaination.

Hey thanks for all the answers.

A couple more questions and I'll be done.

First, what do you all think the better job is in a DC or what is your favorite?

Second, are most workers pretty happy with their jobs?

Last, what's the dress code? I didn't really notice any kind of uniform. I dont really care either way, just curious. Are hats allowed?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back