Archived what do i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
guest comes in with a pre paid phone. no box, no reciept. his dad's with him

dad: we've spent hours on the phone with the company, and they can't activate the phone. you didn't do what was needed.

me: finds out he has nothing, just the phone. is there any proof you bought it from us?

dad: this cost under 20 bucks. its unfair to make the consumer keep a receipt or box on such a cheap item

son: i could dig through the trash..

dad: you're going to make him dig through the trash?

me: well i'll do anything that i can do to help. tell me when he bought it so i can make sure you bought it from us.

son: i have no idea when i got it.

so to recap. i can't have someone review video. he paid cash. he doesn't have the box.

the dad finally gets pissed enough for him to send the kid to dig through his recycling.

dad: "so if its your fault, what type of compensation do i get for the hours i spent dealing with this?"

he got his cost back on a gift card. he was not happy we didn't pay him for his kid not saving the box/receipt on something the kid paid cash and verfied worked before destroying every proof he had.

What do you get? A good story to tell the kids. :D Dress it up though, "So this fucking asshole comes up to me, and I tell him he's an asshole!"

Yeah I hate that crap. It's like they waltz in with an act they rehearsed, looking for any opening to try and get money form us.

A lesson learned?

Check to make sure everything is in working order before you throw away the box?

My wife would save the packages on things, especially electronics for years in case she had to send them back.
But since she always went out and bought the cutting edge stuff I would throw out the boxes the minute she upgraded.

After my husband's receipt box exploded (yes, exploded sending faded slips of 3m paper everywhere), I told him we were going paperless.
Whenever he makes a purchase of $50+, I have him scan the receipt & it goes into a computer file.
He set up the files by like items rather than year.
One file is computers, laptops, pads, external hard drives & the like; another is large appliances; there's one for power tools & so on. When ever we get rid of a particular item, I delete the receipt.
Keeps 'em from fading & we can print out a copy for warranty purposes, the exception being for rebates.
I'm going to have a receipt bonfire soon.

After my husband's receipt box exploded (yes, exploded sending faded slips of 3m paper everywhere), I told him we were going paperless.
Whenever he makes a purchase of $50+, I have him scan the receipt & it goes into a computer file.
He set up the files by like items rather than year.
One file is computers, laptops, pads, external hard drives & the like; another is large appliances; there's one for power tools & so on. When ever we get rid of a particular item, I delete the receipt.
Keeps 'em from fading & we can print out a copy for warranty purposes, the exception being for rebates.
I'm going to have a receipt bonfire soon.
That's really clever!

Are stores generally ok with using a copy for returns/exchanges/warranty issues?

Some aren't because of attempts at fraud but if it shows critical info (date purchased, trans #, amt paid, DPCI/stock #), it's hard to deny.
Thing is, receipts don't last that long because the paper fades over time so scanning makes it last.

A lesson learned?

Check to make sure everything is in working order before you throw away the box?

My wife would save the packages on things, especially electronics for years in case she had to send them back.
But since she always went out and bought the cutting edge stuff I would throw out the boxes the minute she upgraded.

I do that too, even if I have no intention of returning the items. I do this so if I ever have to ship something to the manufacturer for repair, I already have the perfect packing materials. Also, it's great for moving. Keeping the box and styrofoam for my TV was definitely a great decision. I DIDN'T keep the box for my Xbox though...so when I moved, I had to awkwardly wrap it up in towels and shove it in a backpack. Lesson learned.

i really don't understand they don't want to pay through a method we can track, keep receipt or packaging and its all our fault.

and on top of that we need to compensate them for their efforts that a reciept and packaging could have handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back