Archived What do you do with Items with no location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pushing an enormously stacked flatbed that was 90% items with no location. The TL told me to flex some of it, but eventually it just gets ridiculous. I hate flexing in general because of my experiences in SFS. I would rather it be at least backstocked so it can be found for whatever purpose needed. What are all your ideas on this? What do you do with items with no location?

at guest service, a lot of the time i end up salvaging it out because it just continuously gets sent back up to us anyway. if it’s something cool (aka will def sell quick) or we have it in different color (something like that) i’ll send it to the department for them to flex, but other than that it’s usually easier just to make it disappear.

I wonder if those items could have a location soon, but I really don't know. This was bran new product we just off loaded, so I don't understand why it would be like that.

I wonder if those items could have a location soon, but I really don't know. This was bran new product we just off loaded, so I don't understand why it would be like that.
If you go to the backroom screen on myWork, it'll show any upcoming POGs. If it's transition, it either needed to be trapped with the transition freight or should be backstocked so it comes out when POG sets that aisle.

Call you TL or LOD , make it there problem. Back in the day NOP was Not Our Problem.
My TL was the one that gave me the flat, but she might not have realized how bad it was. I did what I could with it, but ideally I think that stuff should be backstocked, instead of people putting it just anywhere on the floor. Obviously this creates more work for the backroom and we don't have the hours to do everything, but a man can dream, can't he?

If you go to the backroom screen on myWork, it'll show any upcoming POGs. If it's transition, it either needed to be trapped with the transition freight or should be backstocked so it comes out when POG sets that aisle.
Thank you! I will check that out next time I come across this.

Click the item description and scroll down. It will tell you if there are upcoming pogs being set with this merchandise.

Store tie it when you flex it so it can always be found...price change team.

Depends what it is:

If it's for an upcoming transition: backstock or put it on a transition pallet if that's what your leaders want.

If it's D-code (it will say "discontinued" next to the price on the device), flex it out somewhere.

If it's a return of an online only item, put the appropriate sticker on it and put it in a clearance section.

If it's another return of an item that just isn't sold at your store but is at other Targets, backstock unless told differently.

If it's seasonal plu, toss that shit on the shelves.

If it's a vendor item, put it where it's supposed to go on the floor. If you don't know where that is, give it to your receiver so it can be given to the right vendor to deal with.

Whatever you do, don't do what too many idiots at my store do and just toss it on the shelves near similar items.

I am betting it was transition product. It can be sorted and/or put on pallets in the back room. Usually a note is put on the pallet - “ Domestics transition.” Or an aisle or POG #.

If it was a question of it just not being set yet, then we'd back stock it so it can be pulled from the back when the POG is done. If it's product that's coming in but is just about to go clearance (or has already), then stuff is getting untied and probably doesn't have a location - so yeah, flex it out.

Thank you from SFS/OPU teams everywhere!
Yes! This is my problem with even the idea of not putting an item exactly where it is supposed to be. This is why we keep getting higher INFs and I feel terrible when I can't find stuff. I understand it can depend, but I just want the item to be where it should be. Of course softlines are the worst to find, but I can't help but get angry at where some of the people stocking hardlines put stuff sometimes.

Yes! This is my problem with even the idea of not putting an item exactly where it is supposed to be. This is why we keep getting higher INFs and I feel terrible when I can't find stuff. I understand it can depend, but I just want the item to be where it should be. Of course softlines are the worst to find, but I can't help but get angry at where some of the people stocking hardlines put stuff sometimes.

Softlines is a pain. But, at least I can use the RFID gun and enlist a TM to help if needed. When a hardlines item isn't where it's supposed to be it's a major pain in the ass. The TM who put it in the wrong place is unlikely to be in the store and even more unlikely to admit that they know something is wrongly located and didn't fix it. Sure, I can check vehicles in the back. I can scan the shelves to look for it. I can even look in wacos in the appropriate backroom aisle. Meanwhile, goal time is approaching and we all know that most of the time stuff that isn't located properly isn't going to be found in time. The other day for one item my ETL said, "If you are confident we don't have it, go ahead and INF it." I responded, "I'm confident we do have it based on the on hand counts. We have 2 or 3 casepacks somewhere in the back. They weren't placed in location properly and they aren't in the backroom section where this stuff belongs. We have it, but if I keep searching I'm going to miss goal time. What do you want me to do?"

It's frustrating. What should be the easist task to do: follow directions and pick things out of their proper locations instantly becomes a mess when other TMs don't do things right.

Softlines is a pain. But, at least I can use the RFID gun and enlist a TM to help if needed. When a hardlines item isn't where it's supposed to be it's a major pain in the ass. The TM who put it in the wrong place is unlikely to be in the store and even more unlikely to admit that they know something is wrongly located and didn't fix it. Sure, I can check vehicles in the back. I can scan the shelves to look for it. I can even look in wacos in the appropriate backroom aisle. Meanwhile, goal time is approaching and we all know that most of the time stuff that isn't located properly isn't going to be found in time. The other day for one item my ETL said, "If you are confident we don't have it, go ahead and INF it." I responded, "I'm confident we do have it based on the on hand counts. We have 2 or 3 casepacks somewhere in the back. They weren't placed in location properly and they aren't in the backroom section where this stuff belongs. We have it, but if I keep searching I'm going to miss goal time. What do you want me to do?"

It's frustrating. What should be the easist task to do: follow directions and pick things out of their proper locations instantly becomes a mess when other TMs don't do things right.
Yeah, it comes down to what is more important to them: Make the goal time or find the item, but sometimes it takes so much time to look for it, it's not worth it. And yes, there are many items that I am positive are somewhere in the building at least, but where? Who knows? Many times I've gone looking for an item, looking through a bunch of repacks, go backs, items shoved in the back, etc and have never found it. And that wastes too much time.

Even when pushing, I see areas that are a mess and can tell that stuff is all over the place. This might be due to guests as far as I know, but I'm not sure. I would honestly like to zone it a bit while pushing, but we have to finish the push before the end of our shift. I will still do it a little when I see stuff horribly out of place. I have also seen stuff in wacos while backstocking that seem like some one just dumped the whole box in there and didn't even bother to actually put it in the system (that is the most messed up thing I have seen). Honestly, I'm kind of happy working inbound this week so I don't have to deal with the opu/sfs stuff.

Even when pushing, I see areas that are a mess and can tell that stuff is all over the place. This might be due to guests as far as I know, but I'm not sure.
See this all the time, every shift. If it's one piece out of place, yes, probably a guest decided against buying something and set it down wherever they happened to be. But when I find 3 of the same thing in the wrong place, and I know that product comes in 3-packs? That bugs me. Or when I find a bunch of something on a peg, all hanging backwards. Is it really that hard?

See this all the time, every shift. If it's one piece out of place, yes, probably a guest decided against buying something and set it down wherever they happened to be. But when I find 3 of the same thing in the wrong place, and I know that product comes in 3-packs? That bugs me. Or when I find a bunch of something on a peg, all hanging backwards. Is it really that hard?

Just wait until those morons start being responsible for price changes and revisions in their sections....

I was told that the future Target store will be similar to TJ Max/Marshall’s/Homegoods, stuff on shelves, NO POGS, no locations, visually merchandised like the Hearth and Hand stuff.
In the same conversation I was told that increasing online shopping is the future.
The two do not compliment each other !
Poor Fullfillment Team members ! They have a hard time finding specifically located items and I am told those locations are going away.
.................... Can you say needle in a haystack ? INF through the roof !

I was pushing an enormously stacked flatbed that was 90% items with no location. The TL told me to flex some of it, but eventually it just gets ridiculous. I hate flexing in general because of my experiences in SFS. I would rather it be at least backstocked so it can be found for whatever purpose needed. What are all your ideas on this? What do you do with items with no location?
If it’s active, and not super-obviously old, I backstock it. If it’s discontinued, it needs to stay on the floor. If it’s super old but active, like old calendars etc, I defect it out. When flexing it, do so thoughtfully and store tie it if there’s a lot of it.

Just wait until those morons start being responsible for price changes and revisions in their sections....

I know at my store that the work won't be completed. Not correctly, anyway. I see it already (fake ties, POG/REV tied but not set, activated pricing - but not actually done, shitty backstock, unfinished freight + backstock piled up.) We aren't fully Modernized, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back