Archived What do you guys do with re-shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gs7nx.jpg

We hide ours in back.

And assholes like me will take it right back to the front lanes. No shopping carts in the stockroom, period. During the holidays, we convert the conference room into a reshop sorting area. Since the conference room is adjacent to the stockroom, I will allow a few carts to be staged in the stockroom during the sorting process but I will raise hell if it's out for more than an hour or 2. The rest of the year, reshop is at guest service with any overflow at checklane 32.

I have conquered guest services! I left tonight and every single cart had been sorted, all of the miscellaneous crap that had been piling up behind the counter is cleared out. And the sorted carts of strays are down to manageable levels. It's a beautiful thing. I have tomorrow off. I will be very sad if I come in Tuesday afternoon and things are a mess again.

I think my store has started to just give up on the reshop. We're still getting the same amount of guests shopping as we did in the week before Christmas, but there's all the returns.

No hours, good profits, massive returns = One messed up store.

We have a smaller store, and we seem to be doing this a little differently? Our re-shop is sorted in guest services as guests return items. The sales floor team members (about twice per shift) bring up re-shop that they find while zoning in their area, and collect their sorted re-shop. Stocking re-shop seems to fall entirely on the sales floor team members and sorting re-shop is the domain of guest services and sales floor as they bring up their found re-shop. It seems to work pretty well for us except on an odd day here and there.

My store is like this except they recently stopped using carts and started using bins because we were running out of carts in the mornings*. This makes it pretty mandatory for Sales floor TMs to pick up strays often. They are training all of the cashiers how to sort (it is easy) so that we can all help over there if needed. GSTL spends a lot of time over at guest services as well.

I, as a CA, got asked to take the CRC/Salvage/Backstock stuff to the back room and got yelled at by a BR TM. Apparently half of the stuff that comes up as backstock on the computer needs to be scanned with a PDA as well, and most of it needed to go out to the floor. I did always wonder why that one Service Desk TM has a big cart full of backstock and no one else ever does...

* We run out of carts mostly because they don't schedule CAs. I have mostly cashier hrs now and the other 3 CAs are all below 28 hrs every week. Some days we have no CA until noon, this includes weekends. Sad times coming in to an empty cart well.

I might be going out on a limb. But our team is actually pretty good at following Best Practice at Guest Service. Meaning, we actually smart sort 99% of our reshop (minus anything missing a DPCI or barcode or untied seasonal). When we remodeled from GM to Pfresh I pushed our team hard on getting in the habit and it stuck. During remodel our scores went from red to green. The bright side 2 years later is we actually get the hours we need for the salesfloor to work the reshop and zone (back-up cashiering not included).

Its a rarity if something from area of a store gets sent to the wrong dept.

During the holidays we leave them in a staging area in the back to try and process as our store prototype just left us no room on the floor to leave them. Generally they were taken care of by next day by the morning crew with maybe the flow team helping if all the planets aligned and they managed to finish their workload ahead of schedule (Ie: never as there are always callouts).

Ours is just sorted at the service desk and pushed to the floor whenever a cart is full, There have been 1-2 days ever where I have closed and not had all reshop finished (as in all the carts emptied and everything in its proper place in the store, not merely sorted into the proper carts) before leaving.

No clue what it was like prior to being p-fresh though, I started during the remodel.

We also certainly don't have a shortage of carts since we use two-tier carts for reshop, not shopping carts.

I sort softlines at the fitting room....even yesterday with how dead we were there were 9+ carts to sort my shift. I then take the items that are found in softlines that are hardlines items at the end of my shift and sort at guest services.

The misc. carts are brought up at different times and only in 4th quarter are they sometimes not sorted at guest services by the end of the night. Reshop for hardlines is just "staged" in the section that it is for....in other words just left along the back walls.

My first 4th quarter hardlines would crow over leaving no reshop.....until we found their hiding spots. Softlines usually leaves less reshop right now than electronics...yup, we had 4/5 sorted carts last shift to electronics 7 (maybe sorted)

Not going to lie in my earlier Target days I used to hide it as I zoned, pulled the items in front of the diamonds put a piece or two of reshop behind those pretty looking zoned aisles! Or put it in the flow teams repacks lol... Looking back on it I feel bad but this is also when I used to stay until 12 or 1am while in high school, before they actually inforced any minor laws at my store

One of my TLs told me about a TL at his old store would take the overflowing carts... and dump them in the baler. While that did cut down greatly on the reshop they needed to push... it caused him to not have a job for much longer.

I'm not gonna lie, I just laughed out loud...oh geez.

I, as a CA, got asked to take the CRC/Salvage/Backstock stuff to the back room and got yelled at by a BR TM. Apparently half of the stuff that comes up as backstock on the computer needs to be scanned with a PDA as well, and most of it needed to go out to the floor. I did always wonder why that one Service Desk TM has a big cart full of backstock and no one else ever does...

When the Guest Service registers sort items as backstock, it's because they have no locations on the sales floor. If the items have been sitting at Guest Service for a while, they might be on recently tied planograms, so it's a good idea to re-sort those items just to be safe. Also, the backroom will like you if you put backstock on a logistics vehicle (flat, tub, or tiered cart) instead of a shopping cart.

I might be going out on a limb. But our team is actually pretty good at following Best Practice at Guest Service. Meaning, we actually smart sort 99% of our reshop (minus anything missing a DPCI or barcode or untied seasonal). When we remodeled from GM to Pfresh I pushed our team hard on getting in the habit and it stuck. During remodel our scores went from red to green. The bright side 2 years later is we actually get the hours we need for the salesfloor to work the reshop and zone (back-up cashiering not included).

Sounds like your store did its homework. When we had a whole bunch of visits at once last year, my STL told the front end to start scanning every item in Smart Sort, close the carts, and print the worklists*. Then, when a cart was finished, the TM who worked it would scan their worklist to tell the system that their cart was finished. My STL said that if we did this, then we would get more sales floor hours due to the amount of re-shop being handled. Of course, the GSTMs got lazy after a couple months and stopped Smart Sorting, which resulted in inordinate amounts of frustration for the hardlines team and no increase in sales floor hours.

*For those who don't know, the worklists can also be accessed on the PDA. If you close a cart without printing the worklist, a white ticket with a number will print out. On the PDA, go to Putaway (in All Applications). It will have a list of all the unfinished re-shop carts. You can either search for your cart number or scan the white ticket that printed out. Putaway is a neat (albeit slow) application. Of course, if you don't have a PDA, you can just print the worklist instead. And get this: THE SMART SORT WORKLISTS SHOW 2ND LOCATIONS!!

When the Guest Service registers sort items as backstock, it's because they have no locations on the sales floor. If the items have been sitting at Guest Service for a while, they might be on recently tied planograms, so it's a good idea to re-sort those items just to be safe. Also, the backroom will like you if you put backstock on a logistics vehicle (flat, tub, or tiered cart) instead of a shopping cart.

Sounds like your store did its homework. When we had a whole bunch of visits at once last year, my STL told the front end to start scanning every item in Smart Sort, close the carts, and print the worklists*. Then, when a cart was finished, the TM who worked it would scan their worklist to tell the system that their cart was finished. My STL said that if we did this, then we would get more sales floor hours due to the amount of re-shop being handled. Of course, the GSTMs got lazy after a couple months and stopped Smart Sorting, which resulted in inordinate amounts of frustration for the hardlines team and no increase in sales floor hours.

*For those who don't know, the worklists can also be accessed on the PDA. If you close a cart without printing the worklist, a white ticket with a number will print out. On the PDA, go to Putaway (in All Applications). It will have a list of all the unfinished re-shop carts. You can either search for your cart number or scan the white ticket that printed out. Putaway is a neat (albeit slow) application. Of course, if you don't have a PDA, you can just print the worklist instead. And get this: THE SMART SORT WORKLISTS SHOW 2ND LOCATIONS!!

Our store does it mostly right, I never stopped smart sorting, everyone else apparently did, or at least the TL's did, as today the Sr. TL told me to start smart sorting again, I looked at him funny, he explained what smart sorting was, I laughed, and said I'd nevr stopped doing it, he looked embarrassed and said that I was a "better man than he was" - much later in the day the GSTL told me to not bother smart sorting since we were too busy, I ignored him and continued doing so via PDA anyway.

I however did not now how to access the worklists via PDA, good to know, I've seen several TM's annoyed when the cart was closed w/o printing the worklist at the same time and none have ever had a clue ow to print or access it at that point.

Last edited:
I hate how guest services sorts the carts. During fourth quarter, I try not to complain too much, but the rest of the year, it's a little frustrating to have to constantly be bringing back the few toys that go in infant hardlines because they aren't in the damn toy department. Or bringing back the One Spot stuff that gets sorted everywhere else. IT HAS A LITTLE TRIANGLE ON IT. IT GOES OVER IN THE ONE SPOT.

Same. I get non-infant toys, dollar spot hats/socks, sporting goods team clothes alll the time. I send it back, they send it again, then I write passive-aggressive post-it notes on it. Never-ending cycle.

I however did not now how to access the worklists via PDA, good to know, I've seen several TM's annoyed when the cart was closed w/o printing the worklist at the same time and none have ever had a clue ow to print or access it at that point.

Another thing I forgot to mention: If the cart is closed without printing the worklist and you don't have a PDA, you can scan the barcode on the white ticket and the register will print out the worklist for that cart.

One of my TLs told me about a TL at his old store would take the overflowing carts... and dump them in the baler. While that did cut down greatly on the reshop they needed to push... it caused him to not have a job for much longer.

I have to admit there have been some nights (especially in the 4th quarter) when that does sound like a really, really good idea :pardon:.

That is reshop? Bi$%h, please! :D Reshop is when your days starts with 80+ carts of reshop in the whole store, and where are no carts for guests for the first couple of hours after opening. :p

After backroom gets so full you can not fit reshop, because there are pallets and flats all over receiving and backroom.

Last edited:
We usually leave sorted carts next to guest service by our ATM. Our DTL recently came by and told our ETLs that we're no longer going to be keeping reshop there and now have to take it back to the back room. Doesn't make sense to me. It usually gets forgotten back there and sits there for the remainder of the day until flow discovers it in the fixture room.

Yeah, I think it is just this one SD TM that told me to do that (of course she is the only one that has me doing all of her work lol). I started putting them in 3 tier carts w/ the little clip, I already know the Salvage/CRC part well. I think she just needs to double scan with the PDA too because the PDA is showing the location in the store, but the computer says it is backstock when you sort it.

Yeah, I think it is just this one SD TM that told me to do that (of course she is the only one that has me doing all of her work lol). I started putting them in 3 tier carts w/ the little clip, I already know the Salvage/CRC part well. I think she just needs to double scan with the PDA too because the PDA is showing the location in the store, but the computer says it is backstock when you sort it.

That's weird, the register shouldn't be sending items to backstock if they have locations on the sales floor (or are on planograms with no schematics like softlines racks and Fan Central). The only reason I can think of for that is if the items are discontinued NOP and should be flexed instead of being backstocked (this varies by store).

I've seen this as well. We had a lot of people through things in the box that should be flexed out at this time of year, so I was going through the stuff that wasn't obvious holiday stuff with a PDA. Some of the stuff which came up NOP on smart sort actually had a specific location on the planogram.

Items guests have returned, changed their mind about buying & left it:
at the checklane
on the checklane endcap
on any given endcap
on a row of carts
on furniture displays
across the electronics boat
over the DVD racks
on the handle of the fire door (NEVER just yank it off)
all over One Spot
on top of accessories displays
on the counter at FA/SB
over the registry kiosks
*add your favorite location here*

Items guests have returned, changed their mind about buying & left it:
at the checklane
on the checklane endcap
on any given endcap
on a row of carts
on furniture displays
across the electronics boat
over the DVD racks
on the handle of the fire door (NEVER just yank it off)
all over One Spot
on top of accessories displays
on the counter at FA/SB
over the registry kiosks
*add your favorite location here*

Pretty much everywhere except where the items actually belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back