What do you wish your TL would do? And what do you wish they would stop doing?

Lay out your expectations clearly. Let your team know that they can trust that you've got their backs by supporting them and calling out when they've done a great job. Make sure that they've all had the training and daily get the tools needed to do their jobs. COMMUNICATE and don't expect what you tell one team member to get to all of your team members... tell them yourself and ask for feedback/questions/etc...help them to own their job. Work hard to trust that your team knows how to do their job. Leading doesn't mean that you micromanage.

Every leader has "their" priorities. If you value zone, speed, push, reshop over everything else make that clear. In my store it's not possible to get everything done as leaders want it but the leader I work for most values cleanliness over tge rest so I make sure everything is cleaned up before I leave.

Every leader has "their" priorities. If you value zone, speed, push, reshop over everything else make that clear. In my store it's not possible to get everything done as leaders want it but the leader I work for most values cleanliness over tge rest so I make sure everything is cleaned up before I leave.
I remember a TL who just didn't want to see anything on the base decks by closing. Easiest to close with.

One piece of advice I can give you as a tl is that when you adjust plans and what they are expected to do as tm, something that happens nearly every day, make sure they understand why you are making that change and let them know you understand that what they were expected to get done you understand won't be done.
It's something I do every day and it definitely puts way less stress on the tm. Understand though that of you are taking someone off that say truck push to do something else that that push will still be there for that tm and they may not be happy that you are just postponing them from doing that freight and they will still have to get it done at some point.

What @happygoth said. Also, if you have good TMs who know how to do their jobs and do them well, let them - don't hover and micro-manage. You'll have other TMs who need closer supervision.
Most of the TLs at my store will help push truck, jump on a lane, collect reshop, etc. The only one who doesn't, as far as I know, is our HR ETL although she will pick orders for SFS and OPU. Leading by example is very effective.

say what you mean. and mean what you say.

be kind. if you see someone is underperforming, don’t say you’re underperforming and dragging us down. Ask them what’s wrong. why has it dropped. and what can WE do to improve this.

You’re a TEAM leader not a manager treat your team as a team and not employees if that makes sense

Back