Archived What does a gsa really do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends entirely on the store. At my store, the GSA does all the work on the lanes while the GSTL stands in the front and "touches every cart." Our GSAs work the back, filling change requests, picking up abandoned, hangers, answering lights, whatever needs to be done, including CA duties if the CAs are overwhelmed. And working out EXF. On opening shift, the GSA unlocks the magnetic keys, funds GS, and shoots EXF. Closing shift is drawer funding and 3239 and help with zoning.

In some stores, the GSAs work the Cash Office. That is not the case in our store. The GSAs hardly have time to breathe, much less do CO.

GSAs are supposed to be head cashiers basically. Assistant to the GSTL. However you want to coin it.

However a lot of stores schedule GSAs instead of GSTLs to cut payroll costs.

Your mileage may vary.

GSAs are basically GSTLs without the direct supervisor role. GSAs will assist coin and cash, cash office operations, front lane operations, probably will rotate Food Service/Guest Service/Cashier Shifts during the week. All you can do is motivate the team and pass along info from the GSTL. You will not be able to coach or correct TMs directly.

Our GSAs run the front end...never GSA/GSTL overlap. To get the rest of their hours, they either do service desk or salesfloor. They only seem to get cashiering shifts if they pick them upon the swap board.

It seems to be the larger the store, the more likely the GSA will assist the GSTL on the schedule.

Our GSAs run the front end...never GSA/GSTL overlap. To get the rest of their hours, they either do service desk or salesfloor. They only seem to get cashiering shifts if they pick them upon the swap board.

It seems to be the larger the store, the more likely the GSA will assist the GSTL on the schedule.

Not really. We never really get GSTL/GSA overlap hours, we'd have to be working service desk or something for there to be any overlap. No matter how high volume a store is, GSAs are pretty much always going to be GSTLs on the cheap to some degree.

And my store is huge... Check how many TLs we have a page back lol.

Depends on store-by-store basis. Depending on volume, existing GSTL/GSA headcount, cash office responsibilities, etc.

Let us know how many GSTLs/GSAs you have and what a typical sales goal is for you, and we can give you a better idea ;)

I normally do cash office then am either scheduled for GSTL or Service Desk to finish out my day.
Sometimes I'll also get full GSTL or Service Desk shifts depending on the schedule that week.

I pretty much do either a 7 to 3:30 cash office/cashier shift or I close once or twice a week. We have a total of 5 GSA's and 2 SrGSTL's. Whenever I am scheduled with a GSTL I can count on having to watch the lanes most of my shift so they can do paperwork, reset endcaps, etc...Since I am trained in Food, Starbux and Guest Service it's also possible I will be called to help with breaks and lunches or to cover any call-outs.
I think we are an A volume store, with pFresh.

My store has 1 GSTL and 2 GSAs, our GSAs just act as gstl's when our gstl isn't there. Without all the paperwork of course.

For whatever it's worth since I am not GSA or any other ... uhhh...how shall we say, prestigious position, I'll say this:

Your role, if it's anything like my store (?!?) , is something like:

Assist heavily with training of new cashiers, or delegate that out to senior cashiers, depending on who you are and how you feel that day.
Assist with all kinds of various and sundry Guest Service duties.
Perform Cash Office duties as oulined to you and/or your store sees fit.
Perform Food Ave duties as you are appropriately trained (same goes for Starbucks).
Drive RedCards by ANY MEANS NECESSARY, up to and including the threat of written corrective actions ( ahem... )
Miscellaneous duties that will no doubt be oulined by people far more experienced and knowledgeable than I am...

Good luck,, have fun, and have mercy upon your future cashiers... :)

( And to somewhat amend and further clarify my post, GSA is responsible for change orders, dealing with a lot of kinda AP-type stuff too, so, to sum up...depending on what kind of GSA you want to be and what kind of references you want on your resume and how far you want togo with Spot or any similar company will kinda dictate if you're a "hands-on, involved" GSA, or a "oh, who cares, I gave up a long time ago/just taking up space/ oh whatever" GSA )

we have two gstl s and four gsa s.one gstl world her ass off and one doesn't do a bloody thing.likewise with the gsa s.two of them work really hard and the other two arnt worth **** on a shingle.

i work at a new store as well - the gsa's respond to blinking lane lights, give break schedules, fill up the cash register when it runs out of money/coins, help cashiers or service desk team members with problems, price checks.

The thing is most stores don't have 2 GSTLs working 40 hours each, and at least 4 GSAs to work cash office. Heck didn't somebody here say their store had 0 GSTLs and just GSAs? Rofl.

Then you got stores like mine who think that GSAs need at least 50% of their hours scheduled in GSTL/GSA, so in order to get scheduled 40 hours a week I need 20 GSTL/GSA hours. Trying to figure out if thats my ETL-HR or HRBP's genius idea, because that doesn't seem to matter at other stores.

Maybe I should ask my ETL-HR why GSAs aren't in cash office anymore since we're technically supposed to own it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Cash Office duties are part of the GSA core roles on AE12 page, but is the actual best practice for that under Cash Office Procedures on workbench?

Just to be an annoying little **** I'm going to do just that when I get the chance this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back