Archived What does it take for a store to CLOSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullseyekindaguy

Former logistics/guest experience intern!
Just out of curiosity.. What does it take for a store to close (as in go out of business) or for a store to relocate.

I'm in a ULV and sales have been pretty crappy...We haven't hit sales in a couple years, and if things don't pick up there is a possibly of this being the worst year yet. So, rumors have been pretty nasty and it hasn't helped that the STL is brand new and we've had a couple new ETL's placed in the store.

Just wondering.

There is one near me closing, apparently the closing rumors have been floating for a few years. I know nothing beyond that tho...

A store in our district was closed 2 yrs back because sales were consistently below forecast, it was located in a high-crime area (nicknamed "Targhetto" as a result) & endured a LOT of theft.
Despite frequent changes in leadership, performance never improved so it was closed. Rumor has it that another location is being selected near a new retail development.

Just out of curiosity.. What does it take for a store to close (as in go out of business) or for a store to relocate.

I'm in a ULV and sales have been pretty crappy...We haven't hit sales in a couple years, and if things don't pick up there is a possibly of this being the worst year yet. So, rumors have been pretty nasty and it hasn't helped that the STL is brand new and we've had a couple new ETL's placed in the store.

Just wondering.

It is damn near impossible for a store to close. Basically, it has to have serious ongoing problems that cannot be resolved over a long period of time. (the one exception to this is if a store votes for a union, then it is closed the next day)

Closing stores = company is on the path of going under. When you hear a retailer is starting to "close stores", even if it is just a handful, 95% of the time that retailer is out of business within 2-3 years later. Therefore, closing stores is to be avoided at all costs.

Just wondering.

It is damn near impossible for a store to close. Basically, it has to have serious ongoing problems that cannot be resolved over a long period of time. (the one exception to this is if a store votes for a union, then it is closed the next day)

Closing stores = company is on the path of going under. When you hear a retailer is starting to "close stores", even if it is just a handful, 95% of the time that retailer is out of business within 2-3 years later. Therefore, closing stores is to be avoided at all costs.

I hope that's true. Not for all the faithful target employees, but because it's been a long time coming.

Sorry y'all will be out of a job, but that's what happens

You will gain employment with an actual company paying an actual wage.

I seriously hope that this DOESN'T happen.

Every year Target closes a handful (like 4 or 5) stores.

Yes but they also open a couple new stores here and there.

Target's closing 4 stores on February 4th.

http://pressroom.target.com/news/target-to-close-store-in-chandler-ariz
http://pressroom.target.com/news/target-to-close-store-in-morrow-ga
http://pressroom.target.com/news/target-to-close-store-in-leesburg-fla
http://pressroom.target.com/news/target-to-close-store-in-chula-vista-calif

They're all old and there's probably newer stores that have taken their business. Also the area could be in decline.

In my area there are 2 Targets .8 miles away from each other on the same road; one opened in the late 90s I believe and the other one in the late 00s. They are both B volumes. Why they don't close the old one is beyond me.

I just think it's sad, for everyone. It's sad for the community, and small business, that surround that store, that desperately depend on that foot traffic, and clientele that Target brings in for them to survive. And it's a sad moment, for the ones who have patronized such store for years, and have grown up shopping there and made memories.

What's even worse though, is most of those team members won't get to keep there jobs. There's never enough positions for them to transfer over. :( There gonna be knocked to there feet, and struggling to find something else, in this horrible job market. I feel very bad for them.

Last edited:
I've been to the Leesburg store. Honestly not surprised it's being closed. Target doesn't need to be in that area of lake county.

It's depressing.

Just wondering.

I hope that's true. Not for all the faithful target employees, but because it's been a long time coming.

This is kind of a cruel attitude. Just because people are forced out of their jobs doesn't mean they will get a better job.

In my area there are 2 Targets .8 miles away from each other on the same road; one opened in the late 90s I believe and the other one in the late 00s. They are both B volumes. Why they don't close the old one is beyond me.

I've heard that Target actually likes smaller volume stores as opposed to anything AA or higher. They pay less shift differential, don't have to hire as many workers, and they are still profitable. Of course, AA and above get all the product and make a lot more money.

I have seen stores close (not my own though).

Its usually not just due to poor sales. It has to be age of the store, physical location (next closest stores), economic development of the surrounding area, then sales. Usually relocation/combining stores is more of an option.

I used to work at a store near the mountains of Tennesse for years. Opened in the mid-90s, and the only store within 2 hours in any direction in an area dominated by Super WalMarts. Never remodeled except for the bathrooms. And it never really made sales or was ever green in much of anything. Then Target started bringing other new stores to the surrounding area. And it really started missing sales and falling short in scores. But Target keeps it open.

But I used to shop regularly at this one store in the suburbs of Nashville (then working a sister district store) years ago, then I just heard it closed early this year. Basically the whole shopping area (nearby mall, hotels, area strip malls, restaurants, everything) went into a economic nose dive due to increase crime, poor economy, and real estate costs. And with 10 other stores within a 30 minute drive and its age, it was decided by Corp to close it.

Then there was another store in my current area that was closed due to its age and a Super was built within a 5-10 minute drive. Its now a Garden Ridge.

Last edited:

I've heard that Target actually likes smaller volume stores as opposed to anything AA or higher. They pay less shift differential, don't have to hire as many workers, and they are still profitable. Of course, AA and above get all the product and make a lot more money.

Small volume = easier to manage.
Large volume = large revenue.

Gotta have both to succeed.

Just wondering.

This is kind of a cruel attitude. Just because people are forced out of their jobs doesn't mean they will get a better job.

you missed the point of my post apparently it flew right over your head lol

Target's closing 4 stores on February 4th.

http://pressroom.target.com/news/target-to-close-store-in-chandler-ariz
http://pressroom.target.com/news/target-to-close-store-in-morrow-ga
http://pressroom.target.com/news/target-to-close-store-in-leesburg-fla
http://pressroom.target.com/news/target-to-close-store-in-chula-vista-calif

They're all old and there's probably newer stores that have taken their business. Also the area could be in decline.

I know about the one in Leesburg, Fla. My Mother-in-law lives in Leesburg. Apparently, the whole mall is closing down.

I don't think my store is profitable, honestly. It's not a bad store by any means, but sales are pretty poop, even during 4th quarter. I've always wondered if it's a consideration to let it go at some point.

I'm worried that my store will be on the chopping block soon. My store is located in a very poor area. Most other stores in the area have closed or relocated. In the past year 3 different stores have closed. The drive into work is very depressing because there's abandoned buildings everywhere. The area my store is located in has a huge problem with theft and drugs. It's not uncommon the hear on the news about robbery and shootings happening in the area. My store has been broken into and robbed 3 times in the past couple of months.

We don't make sales and our hours are constantly being cut. We have had multiple ETL and store manager changes in the past year. I feel like they know the worst is coming but no one will tell us. There's rumors every few weeks that we are going to close or relocate. I feel like the company is just holding on to us to see how we do during fourth quarter.

There's nicer, newer Targets in better neighborhoods just a few miles away from my store. I really wouldn't be surprised if it closes, it just feels like a matter of time at this point.

I know about the one in Leesburg, Fla. My Mother-in-law lives in Leesburg. Apparently, the whole mall is closing down.

Are you sure? It's been a while, but, when I was last there, I remember they had a JCPenney, Sears & a Belks, and Target (of course) as there Anchors. It was a pretty nice mall, imo, for a smallish town. The Target itself was renovated. It has at least the P08/09 Scheme, if not better. I think it was B Volume when I was there.

I'd be shocked to see that whole mall just shut down. Although it has been a while, and I do know things change... :(

I've seen whole malls/shopping centers go to pot within a couple years. Those anchors mean nothing.

JCPenney: In trouble and trying to reinvent itself.

Sears: Sears/KMART is in really bad shape. Not a surprise to see some stores close.

I don't know what a Belks is, but I am sure if two major anchors are closing out (and even a third), then a lot of the smaller stores of course aren't going to stick around. Overall, Target most likely doesn't want to stick around in a deadzone, even though the store itself might be doing just ok. At that point it's just good business to shut down that particular store. Sad, but true.

Are you sure? It's been a while, but, when I was last there, I remember they had a JCPenney, Sears & a Belks, and Target (of course) as there Anchors. It was a pretty nice mall, imo, for a smallish town. The Target itself was renovated. It has at least the P08/09 Scheme, if not better. I think it was B Volume when I was there.

I'd be shocked to see that whole mall just shut down. Although it has been a while, and I do know things change... :(
Its on the auction block at the least, which could have something to do with the decision to close. There isn't much ileft n the mall at this point.

JCP is pulling out, I'm not sure if they are relocating or not.

Apparently since they built the one further east there have been talks of it being closed for a couple of years.

I only know what my Mother-in-law told my husband when she called a few days ago. Unless he got the part about the mall closing wrong. But the Target is definitely closing.

I've seen whole malls/shopping centers go to pot within a couple years. Those anchors mean nothing.

JCPenney: In trouble and trying to reinvent itself.

Sears: Sears/KMART is in really bad shape. Not a surprise to see some stores close.

I don't know what a Belks is, but I am sure if two major anchors are closing out (and even a third), then a lot of the smaller stores of course aren't going to stick around. Overall, Target most likely doesn't want to stick around in a deadzone, even though the store itself might be doing just ok. At that point it's just good business to shut down that particular store. Sad, but true.

Belks is along the lines of a Seats or JC Penneys but is mostly in the Southeast and is a bit more high end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back