Archived What does it take for a team lead to be fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in the four months our Inbound Team Lead has been here, they've...
-Had at least four No Call No Shows (two of which everyone was waiting outside 2+ hours for another manager to let them in)

-Gone in the back room off the clock (our store manager was pissed when he found out).

-Told us to "work around it" when we've had chemical spills in the truck. Multiple times. And once when they actually DID clean up a chemical spill, they sprinkled the dust high up from the ground and the fan in the truck blew it in two employees' faces. This only happened once but they've had to go to the doctor multiple times because of that. And yes, these coworkers have gone to HR.

-Hit on at least three female employees.

-Come in stoned/hungover a number of times.

Just to name a few

Amazing numbers/ green scores won’t save him if a member of upper management wants him gone. Dismal numbers/red scores won’t sink him if upper management sees him as their golden boy. Apparently team leaders get set up to be performanced out for the following transgressions:
  1. Not kissing the ETLs ass.
  2. Not worshipping the ETL.
  3. Not drinking the kool-aid
  4. Not jumping under the bus to make incompetent upper management look good.
  5. Treating team members like human beings.
  6. Working to benefit the store, not the ETLs promotion.
  7. Merely existing in the presence of the ETL who wants him gone.
This list is not totally inclusive, job performance and/or conduct don’t seem to matter, and if someone higher than the ETL likes him, he’s safe as long as his protector is there.

Don’t know what is going on with your store, but four no call/no shows in four months would get you termed at my store, especially for an opener who wasn’t there to let the team in twice.

Has this person:-
Ever slept with TMs he hit in?
Did the “dust incident” blind the TMs?
How cold was it outside when he NCNS?
Are you sure he NCNS? (cause other people’s attendance is none of your business”

This TL is obviously doing all the right things, you jelly ,bruh?

Has this person:-
Ever slept with TMs he hit in?
Did the “dust incident” blind the TMs?
How cold was it outside when he NCNS?
Are you sure he NCNS? (cause other people’s attendance is none of your business”

This TL is obviously doing all the right things, you jelly ,bruh?

1. How would I know?
2. No.
3. It was memorial day and a few other days in summer.
4. Considering our ETL said "no call no show," I think it's safe to assume it is.
5. I promise they aren't doing all the right things.
6. None of my business? They're not even making an effort to hide it. It's kind of a problem when another manager has to open the store 30 minutes after it's supposed to open.
7. Why would I be jealous? I'm not interested in being team lead.

1. How would I know?
2. No.
3. It was memorial day and a few other days in summer.
4. Considering our ETL said "no call no show," I think it's safe to assume it is.
5. I promise they aren't doing all the right things.
6. None of my business? They're not even making an effort to hide it. It's kind of a problem when another manager has to open the store 30 minutes after it's supposed to open.
7. Why would I be jealous? I'm not interested in being team lead.
Good answer.

It's hard to say.

In most cases, a bad TL is better than no TL. So unless it is so egregious that it can't be overlooked, they will try to have a replacement in the wings. Which is hard to do without tipping their hand.

As far as hitting on TMs goes, unless the TMs that were hit on are willing to make statements and push the issue (and know HOW to push the issue) HRs hands are tied.

Stoned/hung over is really difficult for HR as well. All they have to do is claim disability/medical (which addiction is) and it muddies the water badly. It's possible, but extremely difficult when you are facing major federal employment laws. The NCNS could be tied in as a side effect of the addiction.

It takes a shrewd HR to make any of these issues into fireable offenses. It's possible, but hard and requires a lot of support within the company.

Four no call/no shows is termination on a platter for anyone, particularly a leader. ASANTS, but at my store HR loved to term for attendance because there’s an evidence trail that makes it difficult for the person involved to dispute. You were either there/on time or you weren’t, not subjective like performance write-ups, and extenuating circumstances can be conveniently ignored. If the store leadership wanted him gone, and he has four no call/no shows, he would be gone. He could be the golden boy, and safe, or he could be in the process of being performanced out, but management needs him in place until they find a replacement or until back-to school is over, whichever comes first. Bad practice because it submarines morale, but with Spot’s leadership these days, who knows what they are thinking. Or doing.

Amazing numbers/ green scores won’t save him if a member of upper management wants him gone. Dismal numbers/red scores won’t sink him if upper management sees him as their golden boy. Apparently team leaders get set up to be performanced out for the following transgressions:
  1. Not kissing the ETLs ass.
  2. Not worshipping the ETL.
  3. Not drinking the kool-aid
  4. Not jumping under the bus to make incompetent upper management look good.
  5. Treating team members like human beings.
  6. Working to benefit the store, not the ETLs promotion.
  7. Merely existing in the presence of the ETL who wants him gone.
This list is not totally inclusive, job performance and/or conduct don’t seem to matter, and if someone higher than the ETL likes him, he’s safe as long as his protector is there.

Don’t know what is going on with your store, but four no call/no shows in four months would get you termed at my store, especially for an opener who wasn’t there to let the team in twice.

My store with the last STL you kiss his ass and any NCNS was a "Schedule error" and if he didn't it was a NCNS. Why I am stuck with a TL almost as described as above. He kissed enough ass that he was a going away present from the STL.

The dust incident should have been a hotline call in my opinion. The others possibly as well, depending on how you present the issue.

If I had a lead who was late that many times and made me wait, I'd have made a hotline call for sure. Light a fire under their ass.

The dust incident should have been a hotline call in my opinion. The others possibly as well, depending on how you present the issue.

If I had a lead who was late that many times and made me wait, I'd have made a hotline call for sure. Light a fire under their ass.
The dust incident sounds like an incompetent accident, to use absorbent in an effort to clean it up not realizing the fan would blow it everywhere. A hotline call would result in the PMT and AP having to teach people how to properly clean spills.

The dust incident sounds like an incompetent accident, to use absorbent in an effort to clean it up not realizing the fan would blow it everywhere. A hotline call would result in the PMT and AP having to teach people how to properly clean spills.
I had a TM us it at Starbucks and the same thing happened. It went everywhere and we had to shut it down for an hour to clean. It’s non toxic yes but people wouldn’t be excited to see it in a good service area lol

He must be someone's golden boy to get away with this crap. I'd call the hotline about the chemical spills (OSHA violations potentially) and the clean-up dust (same thing), hitting on TMs (potentially harassment, but it probably wouldn't mean anything unless one or more of those TMs called), and coming in stoned (potential safety issue with the baler, etc.) although hung over might not be reportable unless they're still drunk.
The TM who's had multiple doctor visits because of the dust getting in their eyes would be within their rights to file a worker's comp claim, although there might be a time limit on that.
As someone who used to do HR stuff in a completely different field, I read your post with my mouth hanging open. That TL is a disaster. Your store is making a huge mistake holding on to them.

He must be someone's golden boy to get away with this crap. I'd call the hotline about the chemical spills (OSHA violations potentially) and the clean-up dust (same thing), hitting on TMs (potentially harassment, but it probably wouldn't mean anything unless one or more of those TMs called), and coming in stoned (potential safety issue with the baler, etc.) although hung over might not be reportable unless they're still drunk.
The TM who's had multiple doctor visits because of the dust getting in their eyes would be within their rights to file a worker's comp claim, although there might be a time limit on that.
As someone who used to do HR stuff in a completely different field, I read your post with my mouth hanging open. That TL is a disaster. Your store is making a huge mistake holding on to them.

It's weird because they did go to HR about the dust incident. I wasn't there when they did it, but from what they said, both our HR rep and store manager seemed apologetic and livid.

Update: he's been fired.
Good! And I suspect @BoxCutter is correct about making sure they had everything documented and then some. I wonder if he's been written up before and threatened lawsuit if he was fired. Target is an at-will employer but if your TL was in a protected group, he could have claimed discriminatory practice and made a stink about it. Whatever, I'm glad for your sake that he's gone.

Good! And I suspect @BoxCutter is correct about making sure they had everything documented and then some. I wonder if he's been written up before and threatened lawsuit if he was fired. Target is an at-will employer but if your TL was in a protected group, he could have claimed discriminatory practice and made a stink about it. Whatever, I'm glad for your sake that he's gone.

A coworker of mine worked with him at another store. Apparently he got fired there for drinking on the job and flirting with the female employees.

A coworker of mine worked with him at another store. Apparently he got fired there for drinking on the job and flirting with the female employees.
At another Target store? If so, that's crazy. If not, the guy sounds like a total loser and you're well rid of him at your store.

At another Target store? If so, that's crazy. If not, the guy sounds like a total loser and you're well rid of him at your store.

Meijer, actually. And yep. My OP was the tip of the iceberg. There've been a number of instances where he's put my team in danger. I've told our old team lead (she quit in spring) and she said he'd end up costing the company a lot of money down the road if something wasn't done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back