Archived What exactly is a "coaching"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
I've been "talked to" about things, like don't do such and such, sometimes in a stern tone. A TL who no longer works with Spot questioned my attendance after my second callout (though it occurred after my 90 days). Other than that, I haven't heard any negative comments from my leaders, nor have I dealt with anything that I feel would be considered a "coaching," though I have to wonder if the "talkings-to" are considered coachings. Are they? If not, how would I know if I was being coached on something? Would I be written up?

The fun part about Spot is that they don't tell you! It might just be a conversation, or it might be a coaching where they write it up and then stick it in your file where it remains for the next two years. The form specifically says not to show it to the TM. So there are only about three ways you would know it was a coaching:

A) they tell you (not reliable)
B) you find it on the computer in the TSC because the genius tl didn't bother to empty the recycle bin upon deleting it.
C) some states allow you to formally request to review your personnel file every so often. But my guess is that would just tick off HR and they would fight it as much as they could.

And they can stack your coachings into a formal write up if they are feeling so inclined.

I think that some people also forget that a coaching isn't necessarily a bad thing. If used in the right way it can be used to correct something, and to teach and train your team members what they need to improve on. Now, when I've had the same conversation with you repeatedly that's when it's a bad thing and we're looking at it moving to a CA.

A coaching is a conversation to discuss a win or an opportunity that a TM might have. To discuss an opportunity, this is typically preceded by a seek-to-understand conversation, also known as "Here is your 2 seconds to change my mind before I verbally abuse you and make you feel like a pile of shit conversation." If you manage to change your leader's mind, which rarely happens, the process is over. There will be no coaching in this case. However, when you fail to change their mind the leader will continue with their coaching conversation. They will tell you what was wrong, why it was wrong, and the plan to correct it so it doesn't happen in the future. Once the conversation is over, the leader will scurry back to TSC to find an open computer and document the discussion. Most likely the leader won't find an open computer, will get busy, and will forget all about documenting the coaching conversation. If your leader has nothing better to do they will shoot the shit with HR until a computer is free, then they will take their time writing the best coaching ever while sipping a PSL and talking badly about other TMs to HR.

Documented coachings are needed to progress a TM to a Corrective Action or Final Warning if they keep screwing up. Some offenses can go directly to a CA or FW but I won't discuss those. Most require documentation showing the TM had an opportunity to correct themselves before being put on CA. The TM does not have to see the coaching documentation, however the leader should make it known that the conversation they are having is a coaching. Not all leaders will say coaching while talking to you but will go and document the conversation. Some document the conversation without having the conversation - a tactic used to expedite the termination of really crappy TMs.

When I use TM above, this applies to everyone in the store. From TM to ETL - even STLs can get coached but I've noticed most of their coachings are verbal then followed by immediate termination when things don't get better.

I think that some people also forget that a coaching isn't necessarily a bad thing. If used in the right way it can be used to correct something, and to teach and train your team members what they need to improve on. Now, when I've had the same conversation with you repeatedly that's when it's a bad thing and we're looking at it moving to a CA.

This. Coaching doesn't have to be negative. A good leader uses positive coaching to help TMs.

Situation: A TM struggles to complete a zone every shift.

Negative coaching: You're zoning too slowly. You need to get faster. (fills out PDD form, hoping to advance to a CA)
Response: TM continues to struggle, and is now worrying that he/she will lose his/her job.

Positive coaching: Hey, I've noticed it takes you a bit longer to get through your zone. If you do so-and-so this way and try not to do so-and-so too much, it might help you get through your zone more quickly. (follows up with TM in the future to see if the coaching helped)
Response: TM appreciates the TL's advice and tries zoning the way the TL suggested. After experiencing success, TM reports back to the TL to say thanks, it really helped.

Our GSTL actually "coaches" the higher-performing TM's the most. Not in a negative manner though.

My biggest gripe with him is he is scared. He fears that his teams mistakes make him look bad so he tries to micromanage them and not let them do anything which opens potential for error.

The TM's he doesn't trust don't get coached, they just have their hands held. The TM's he does trust (most of which are actually GSA's, not cashiers) he lets make decisions for themselves, and then "coaches" afterwards on what he'd have done differently and why.

When I make a mistake he seems to deem it as a learning opportunity, and instead of telling me to not make such decisions in the future he just explains what he'd have done in the scenario that was different from whatever I did. Unfortunately when most of the cashiers make a mistake, he instead tells them they should have called him over so that there wasn't the potential for them to make a mistake, and instructs them to do that in the future. It seems to teach them to be reliant upon him rather than actually helping increase their overall competence.

Well tonight I am worried I was coached. We have been having some in-fighting between two Softlines TMs over some sort of petty scheduling issues. I was told by one said TM that she would like to "punch in the face" the other TM. I told this to the other TM rather than report it to the LOD, which was a stupid move on my part. Tonight I was taken into a room and spoken to by an LOD (who happens to be my ETL) and a Sr. TL, by whom I was told that next time I need to report such incidents immediately to the LOD. They stressed to me that I was "not in trouble" but I don't believe it. I really wanted to avoid being coached because I'm trying to promote.

Well tonight I am worried I was coached. We have been having some in-fighting between two Softlines TMs over some sort of petty scheduling issues. I was told by one said TM that she would like to "punch in the face" the other TM. I told this to the other TM rather than report it to the LOD, which was a stupid move on my part. Tonight I was taken into a room and spoken to by an LOD (who happens to be my ETL) and a Sr. TL, by whom I was told that next time I need to report such incidents immediately to the LOD. They stressed to me that I was "not in trouble" but I don't believe it. I really wanted to avoid being coached because I'm trying to promote.

Yep, that's a coaching.
Anytime you get taken in a room with two bosses and they explain you done screwed up, you've been coached.
As long as you didn't have to sign anything you're cool but you better believe it got written down.
As long as you don't make a similar mistake any time soon, it's fine.

Yep, that's a coaching.
Anytime you get taken in a room with two bosses and they explain you done screwed up, you've been coached.
As long as you didn't have to sign anything you're cool but you better believe it got written down.

So chances of being promoted are down to nil? Great. Just when my ETL-GE had finally given me a GSA shift on the new schedule and seemed to be willing to give me a chance.

Always good to know that no matter what I do, I'm doing something wrong. And right before the holiday, too.

Last edited:
Yep, that's a coaching.
So chances of being promoted are down to nil? Great. Just when my ETL-GE had finally given me a GSA shift on the new schedule and seemed to be willing to give me a chance.
Always good to know that no matter what I do, I'm doing something wrong. And right before the holiday, too.
Don't give up, yet. Learn from it. I know you will be ok. Your Etl seems to like you.

Transferring or being promoted when on corrective action is unlikely, coachings though don't prevent such things typically as far as I am aware.

I think my stores as transparent as most though. My GSTL has discussed wins/opportunities with me on numerous occasions, sometimes just at the service desk, other times in the supply closet or in an office, but never with another leader present, and never been asked to sign anything - so no clue how many times I've officially been "coached", but if at all it didn't stop me from switching positions.

I get sat down to a two tl chat at least every couple months. Usually as the result of whining by the petty child I have to work with...it usually becomes apparent that whatever they were told us a blatant lie and they back pedal quickly...no clue if it's written down or not. And I'd dare then to use it as an excuse to not promote me.

No coaching here, just winning that TM of the month thing (twice!) where you can get 20 bucks worth of whatever you want on the floor and they requisition it. I got 40 bucks worth of chili and tuna.

No coaching here, just winning that TM of the month thing (twice!) where you can get 20 bucks worth of whatever you want on the floor and they requisition it. I got 40 bucks worth of chili and tuna.

Good for you, but what was the point of posting that?

Good for you, but what was the point of posting that?

Trolling. It's the point of most of Kartman's posts IMO.

Yep. That's it.

Derp!

I was banned from I Hate Target because I didn't have anything bad to say.

Go figure!

Yep. That's it.

Derp!

I was banned from I Hate Target because I didn't have anything bad to say.

Go figure!

Go figure that a forum for Target would have so many shills from corporate posting.

Hahahaha! They called me that over there, too.

I'm a retired tree surgeon, just needed a job to keep me busy and make a couple bucks.

Corporate shill! LULZ!!!

It really depends on what you do with that coaching. You can either take it and slink off, or you can come back and say, "hey, I get this, I want to improve, please help." The second one, if sincere, can take you places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back