Archived What happens if you walk out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
you get fired for job abandonment and flagged as non-rehirable and in some states forfeit your pay for the day and some states the previous week.

The previous week?! How is that even legal? I thought you always had to be paid for time worked.

Um, I'd call it unrecommended....but that's just me. It might come back and bite you in the back later if you get canned for walking out. Give the proper 2 week notice and save yourself a bad rap.

At any job, it's never a good idea to walk out and never return without proper notice.

Having said that, I was in a position, at a non-SPOT job, and it became my life. I ended up working 10 - 12 hour days. This isn't an issue unless you're married, your wife wants to see you, your wife wants you to have a life, and you're hourly. Unfortunately, I was salaried. The point of diminishing returns always hit, each and every week, and I'd push on because work became my life. I was fully consumed. I ended my 18 month stay by walking out. I simply packed up my office, loaded my car, said goodbye to a few people, spoke with the secretary, and left. I regretted it because I was making 573.60 p/week. I, however, didn't fully regret my decision because I was able to clear my mind and get my life back, somewhat.

If push comes to shove, and you're 100% sure, you do what you have to do. In the case of SPOT, at the very least, call the Helpline, and report any and all misgivings you've experienced before you decide to abandon ship and walk out.

Or if you are asked to come in on a day that you aren't scheduled for. At least that's how it has been at my store so far.

Or if you are asked to come in on a day that you aren't scheduled for. At least that's how it has been at my store so far.

True. I did miss that. Though whoever calls you in should just add you to the schedule for that day so you don't have to worry about it, but we all know that doesn't always happen.

True. I did miss that. Though whoever calls you in should just add you to the schedule for that day so you don't have to worry about it, but we all know that doesn't always happen.

I was honestly surprised that my ETL actually remembered to add me to the schedule this time so I wouldn't need LOD approval to punch in.

You'd think it would happen every time. It takes about 5 second to add someone in, especially since they're probably looking at the schedule when they call you anyway.

I wasn't planning on doing it, was just wondering what happens if someone did. xD Mainly because I heard a co-worker of mine did it.

I wasn't planning on doing it, was just wondering what happens if someone did. xD Mainly because I heard a co-worker of mine did it.

Dude, this is not the soviet union. You are free to leave any job you want.

Absolutely nothing at all would "happen" if you walked out other than not have a job anymore. You make it sound like you think Target could "do something" to you, or it would be illegal or something.

Honestly, the worst that would happen would be that you would never work at Target again... but if you are ready to quit, so what? 99.9% of people who leave Target never come back. And even if you wanted to, there is no guarantee they would hire you back anyway.... even if you were marked rehireable.

In non-right to work states employers aren't obligated to pay you for not meeting your expectations.

<sigh> "Right to work" laws *only* mean that you are not required to join a union if a union exists at your job. They don't mean anything else, and they certainly don't mean employers don't have to pay you for time worked. Any non-exempt employee (i.e. a person who earns an hourly wage) is being paid for their time worked. They are *not* being paid for "meeting expectations". If you hired someone as a contractor, THEN they are being paid to "meet expectations" in that they are providing a service. A TM at Target is not a contractor, they are hourly employees.

Employee-employer is a special relationship under law, and an implied contract exists between employee and employer. In an "employment at will" situation, either the employer/employee can terminate employment for a myriad of reasons. (however, there are several reasons that an employer can not use to terminate employment even in employment at will) However, up until the minute that the employee quits or the employer terminates the employee, the employer is legally obligated to pay for all time worked.

Recently, I am starting to see why Target requires a degree for ETLs..... I learned all of this in business classes at community college. STLinMaking, if you were actually an "STL" you would have just opened up Target to a mega lawsuit....

Last edited:
<sigh> "Right to work" laws *only* mean that you are not required to join a union if a union exists at your job. They don't mean anything else, and they certainly don't mean employers don't have to pay you for time worked. Any non-exempt employee (i.e. a person who earns an hourly wage) is being paid for their time worked. They are *not* being paid for "meeting expectations". If you hired someone as a contractor, THEN they are being paid to "meet expectations" in that they are providing a service. A TM at Target is not a contractor, they are hourly employees.

Employee-employer is a special relationship under law, and an implied contract exists between employee and employer. In an "employment at will" situation, either the employer/employee can terminate employment for a myriad of reasons. (however, there are several reasons that an employer can not use to terminate employment even in employment at will) However, up until the minute that the employee quits or the employer terminates the employee, the employer is legally obligated to pay for all time worked.

Recently, I am starting to see why Target requires a degree for ETLs..... I learned all of this in business classes at community college. STLinMaking, if you were actually an "STL" you would have just opened up Target to a mega lawsuit....

Thank you. I couldn't figure out on what planet an employer could withhold pay from an employee for working.

Just to be clear, there are a few situations where pay can be withheld, but I don't know of any that Target has for regular TMs and if they existed they would have been explicitly stated in your papers you signed when hired. I have been employed previously where we were issued uniforms and equipment, this was done with the advance notice that final checks would not be issued until all company owned items were returned in serviceable condition. They can't just hold your pay because they "felt like it" or anything, but there are situations that exist that "might" merit such actions.

Yeah, I've had employers threaten to withhold the last paycheck until uniforms were returned. It wasn't legal, but they still did it banking that most people either didn't know it was illegal or wouldn't want to fight them on it.

If you worked the hours, they have to pay you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back