What happens to your Target 401K if terminated?

Welp boys I think I messed up pretty badly, my 3 year anniversary with Target is in October but it's not looking like I'm gonna make it to that right now.

I did some stupid stuff with work relationships and here in Tennessee that stuff doesn't fly, or anywhere really. Makes it worse that I'm a leader and the other person was a TM...anyway let's just say the relationship is over and now I'm catching the heat from my actions.
Bare minimum I'm looking at a final but I'm prepared to lose my job tomorrow when I come clean on everything. I made the decision to come clean on my actions with dating a TM rather than it being discovered in an investigation of sorts and me not saying anything up front. Hopefully, it looks slightly better even though I know either way I'm probably screwed.

But my question is, I've been investing into my Target 401K and I was wondering what happens to that money, can I cash it or is it stuck in that account and property of Target forever?
Also if I am terminated tomorrow would I have any grounds for an unlawful termination case? Or is it really just over?

Welp boys I think I messed up pretty badly, my 3 year anniversary with Target is in October but it's not looking like I'm gonna make it to that right now.

I did some stupid stuff with work relationships and here in Tennessee that stuff doesn't fly, or anywhere really. Makes it worse that I'm a leader and the other person was a TM...anyway let's just say the relationship is over and now I'm catching the heat from my actions.
Bare minimum I'm looking at a final but I'm prepared to lose my job tomorrow when I come clean on everything. I made the decision to come clean on my actions with dating a TM rather than it being discovered in an investigation of sorts and me not saying anything up front. Hopefully, it looks slightly better even though I know either way I'm probably screwed.

But my question is, I've been investing into my Target 401K and I was wondering what happens to that money, can I cash it or is it stuck in that account and property of Target forever?
Also if I am terminated tomorrow would I have any grounds for an unlawful termination case? Or is it really just over?
Dating a tm is a bad thing depending on your store. If the tm was ap even worse. You won't lose your 401k. You will get the paperwork on it within 30 days.
Being the inbound ops Tl is high expectations job. Spot might give you a break, because you have come clean.

Last edited:
Dating a tm is a bad thing depending on your store. If the tm was ap even worse. You won't lose your 401k. You wil paperwork on it within 30 days.
Being the inbound ops Tl is high expectations job. Spot might give you a break, because you have come clean.
I'll find out soon when I speak to my SD. But likely he/she will say they need to speak to HR before they have a decision on what to do with me. Unless they just fire me on the spot. Really hoping this isn't the case.

I'll find out soon when I speak to my SD. But likely he/she will say they need to speak to HR before they have a decision on what to do with me. Unless they just fire me on the spot. Really hoping this isn't the case.
Be positive. Everyone makes mistakes. They may put you on final only. Don't defeat yourself before you go in. Your sd selected you for the job because they thought you are a good fit. You made through Christmas & easter with a good review. Be honest & open minded with them. If they fire you, it happens. A new job could be a new ops for you.

Be positive. Everyone makes mistakes. They may put you on final only. Don't defeat yourself before you go in. Your sd selected you for the job because they thought you are a good fit. You made through Christmas & easter with a good review. Be honest & open minded with them. If they fire you, it happens. A new job could be a new ops for you.
Thanks that's how I'll look at it. I'll post back in a few days with what happens.

cash it out or roll it over to the new company you work for

cash it out or roll it over to the new company you work for
If you cash it out there will be tax implications.

I would not it leave at Target because I don't believe you have any say it on how it is invested.

I would also look for another job because I doubt Target will ever promote you ever again.

You have been then three years so it shouldn't affect your career much.

Live and learn though!

Dating a tm is a bad thing depending on your store. If the tm was ap even worse. You won't lose your 401k. You will get the paperwork on it within 30 days.
So the team member was actually a fulfillment team member falling under a totally different TL & ETL than myself.
I looked into the dating policy doesn't this mean I'm good? Since the team member does not report directly to me but another leader?
This would mean they really have no grounds to terminate either of us right?

A leader is a leader regardless of the area. If you give job-related direction you would expect it to be followed. Maybe its slightly better that you don't write their schedule or give reviews to that TM but it's still a conflict. Good luck. You might get through this with only a temporary (3-5 year) lack of promotions

So the team member was actually a fulfillment team member falling under a totally different TL & ETL than myself.
I looked into the dating policy doesn't this mean I'm good? Since the team member does not report directly to me but another leader?
Geezuz. Paranoid much? I as a tl married an etl ap at the same store.

This actually doesn't sound like an issue seeing as you are not in the same departments and you are not the tm's supervisor. We have married and engaged and dating tm/tl's at our store as well as members of the same family. Yes, HR is aware and things do have to be taken into consideration with regard to assignments due to conflict of interest, but not a big deal.

Geezuz. Paranoid much? I as a tl married an etl ap at the same store.
Some people seem to have a real problem with dating in the workplace, and their reactions can make one paranoid.

At my old job, AP dated staff left and right. Countless relationships, from brief flings to marriage. At least five on the AP team (myself included) met our spouses at that store.

People go on like it's a horrible idea, but work is a natural place to meet and form relationships.

Technically yes. As now tls have become key carriers and you can be the person in charge of the whole store at any given time it can be a little bit of a grey area. If they really want you gone they could paint the picture that way. Really depends on how messy it got. Best advice is to not do it but seeing its already happened just gotta hope they want to keep you.

Technically yes. As now tls have become key carriers and you can be the person in charge of the whole store at any given time it can be a little bit of a grey area. If they really want you gone they could paint the picture that way. Really depends on how messy it got. Best advice is to not do it but seeing its already happened just gotta hope they want to keep you.
Not all TL's are key carriers. Our store has like 1 TL that's a key carrier during the day, the others either don't want the responsibility or the SD doesn't trust them with keys. All the Inbound TL's & Closing TL's are key carriers though.

Not all TL's are key carriers. Our store has like 1 TL that's a key carrier during the day, the others either don't want the responsibility or the SD doesn't trust them with keys. All the Inbound TL's & Closing TL's are key carriers though.
While it is true most stores aren't high enough volume to justify extra closing leads. I'd be pissed if I was a TL and had to close all my weekends because other leaders don't want the responsibility or are not trustworthy.

While it is true most stores aren't high enough volume to justify extra closing leads. I'd be pissed if I was a TL and had to close all my weekends because other leaders don't want the responsibility or are not trustworthy.
We are a 24 hour process store, so the Closing TL's probably wouldn't even need to be key carriers since the Inbound TL's are in the store long before the store actually closes. They do the Safe & Secure walk, arm the perimeter, and let the Inbound TL's know it's done so the Inbound TL's can focus on Inbound things. They wouldn't even need to be key carriers if the Inbound TL's took on that extra work and let the Closing GM team/Leaders out.

@Hardlinesmaster
So I have an update, the SD called me to the office we spoke for a good 15 mins about the whole situation.
Basically, he/she said if I had not come out and told the truth about the situation they would have fired me. But since I did finally after they asked me multiple times and I kept denying it.
He/She said they are not going to fire me, BUT there will be some kind of documentation since I lied multiple times to my superiors about the situation.

I'm not sure but with the little HR skills I have as a TL if I had to guess lying to a superior probably falls under a DA (Disciplinary Action) or could be a (Corrective Action) but I'm leaning toward DA. I doubt the decision will be made to make it a Final since there isn't any prior documentation or prior DAs / CAs in the system to warrant a Final but I think it will at least be a CA/DA non-Final.

I did ask if maybe they would only put the documentation in as a PIP/PC (Performance Improvement Plan) trying my luck to get out of a CA/DA but they stated they will need to partner with HR ETL to see what it will be entered as before they have an answer.

But that's pretty much it, I think it's over. Nobody was terminated only a write-up, I just don't know the severity of the write-up yet.

@Hardlinesmaster
So I have an update, the SD called me to the office we spoke for a good 15 mins about the whole situation.
Basically, he/she said if I had not come out and told the truth about the situation they would have fired me. But since I did finally after they asked me multiple times and I kept denying it.
He/She said they are not going to fire me, BUT there will be some kind of documentation since I lied multiple times to my superiors about the situation.

I'm not sure but with the little HR skills I have as a TL if I had to guess lying to a superior probably falls under a DA (Disciplinary Action) or could be a (Corrective Action) but I'm leaning toward DA. I doubt the decision will be made to make it a Final since there isn't any prior documentation or prior DAs / CAs in the system to warrant a Final but I think it will at least be a CA/DA non-Final.

I did ask if maybe they would only put the documentation in as a PIP/PC (Performance Improvement Plan) trying my luck to get out of a CA/DA but they stated they will need to partner with HR ETL to see what it will be entered as before they have an answer.

But that's pretty much it, I think it's over. Nobody was terminated only a write-up, I just don't know the severity of the write-up yet.
And the crazy part is the write-up has nothing to do with the relationship as they would have been okay with it. There may have been a shift change here or there to ensure I wasn't the only leader in the building with the team member but that would have been the most action taken. My lying is what caused the write-up. Not the relationship.

@Hardlinesmaster

Thanks for the update. Now the what if stress level goes down.

Thanks for the update. Now the what if stress level goes down.
Right! Now I'm stressing about what level the write-up will be. 🤣🤣 It was good though at the end of the conversation the SD and I were laughing it off. Great end to a crazy convo.
I'm not really stressing about what level the write-up is more just curious about what HR will decide to enter it as.

I'll know tomorrow if I see that ominous red ping in my Workday inbox it's probably a CA/DA I need to accept. Or nothing and maybe I got out with a PIP.

Back