Archived What in the world does a TPS actually do?

Does the TPS position provide meaningful Asset Protection experience?

• Yes

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do they not wear uniforms any more?

My ETL-AP said that after the riots, it's not a good idea to look like a cop. I'm not sure if this is Spot's official reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of it.

I would do that too. If the TPS stands up front and notices we need backup. Why wouldn't the TPS call?

We have a TPS who does this. But he only does it because one of the GSAs is terrible at paying attention to what's going on.

I remember when my store still had a TPS there were these kids thst would come in all the time after school and ask why she was always guarding the carts... But I have seen instances where a presence of uniformed security has made some shady people nervous enough to leave. No, they can't do much, but sometimes just being there is all that it takes.

My ETL-AP said that after the riots, it's not a good idea to look like a cop. I'm not sure if this is Spot's official reason, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of it.
The new TPS uniforms were a pilot for at least the past year at some stores. Target wants the TPS' to be more approachable.

The new TPS uniforms were a pilot for at least the past year at some stores. Target wants the TPS' to be more approachable.

The uniform never made me less approachable to the people that ask me questions at every turn. It's only when I approach people and ask them "if they need help with anything" that they get the creeps occasionally.

OP, you're going to have fun being a TPS, especially if you're at a high risk store. As long as you manage your time properly, the job's totally manageable and at times exciting. Only real downside to any sort of action is the paper work that comes after. You learn a lot about Target's AP systems and protocol, at least that's how my experience has been.

Things you won't look forward to include having to physically find things unaccounted for, and having to do merch protection.

Last edited:
and having to do merch protection.
Grr, the flow team at my store sucks (!) at actually putting on merch protection properly. All the razors are pushed without keepers and the spider-wraps are so loose my four year-old brother could take them off.

Grr, the flow team at my store sucks (!) at actually putting on merch protection properly. All the razors are pushed without keepers and the spider-wraps are so loose my four year-old brother could take them off.

The spider wraps our flow team puts on merch is down right embarrassing. The level of looseness is just so laughable that I've had guests ask why they're put on in the first place, and I think it's just one or two people that are the culprits.

The spider wraps our flow team puts on merch is down right embarrassing. The level of looseness is just so laughable that I've had guests ask why they're put on in the first place, and I think it's just one or two people that are the culprits.
At least, they did try to do the right thing. You might want to show them, the correct way with a magnet at the register...

Last edited:
OP, you're going to have fun being a TPS, especially if you're at a high risk store. As long as you manage your time properly, the job's totally manageable and at times exciting. Only real downside to any sort of action is the paper work that comes after. You learn a lot about Target's AP systems and protocol, at least that's how my experience has been.

Things you won't look forward to include having to physically find things unaccounted for, and having to do merch protection.

And by physically finding things unaccounted for, this includes helping guests find their car keys. Count on it.

Your flow team actually puts on merch protection? My morning starts off with pushing around a cart of razor keepers and spider wraps doing merch protection for a hour or more.

And the reply I get from leadership is hours are low so they don't have time to do the protection.

And the reply I get from leadership is hours are low so they don't have time to do the protection.

It sounds like your ETL-AP needs to have a conversation with the ETL-LOG and remind him/her that spider-wraping is one of Flows core roles. (So I've been told, anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back