Archived What in the world does a TPS actually do?

Does the TPS position provide meaningful Asset Protection experience?

• Yes

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I will be starting Target as a TPS in the upcoming weeks, but I have a few concerns that hopefully some of you might be able to solve.
What does a TPS actually do? During my interview, the interviewer made it seem like I would be in fact watching CCTV at times and working to prevent theft, without performing apps, but other forms across the interwebs almost talk as if the job is pretty much being a greeter like at Wally World (Cue the uniform change to be more 'Approachable'). Spot's official job description is so completely vague it raises more questions about what I would be doing.
Edit : Typo

Last edited:
The TPS at my store does spend a day or two's time doing some door time providing guest service while scanning for suspicious guests. He usually steps off when he notices something or when a TM gives him a call out. I think the uniform change has some upsides and downsides. It definitely makes the TPS more approachable and slightly more incognito, but it is less intimidating.

However, when he is at the door he does take on some "greeter" responsibilities. Our TPS has made numerous recoveries based off of what he has witnessed from guests coming into the store, so it can't be that poor of a strategy.

Our TPS does inventory checks. He will poke around electronics and the backroom to make sure counts are correct.

Ours calls for backup and asks who's getting endymes...oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had promoted yourself to a team lead!

I had enough of my GSTL and his stupid voice one day, and did exactly this. Cut him off every time I heard/saw fast service. "Team, who's getting that?" "I need one up front for backup. Don't make me call out names" it was the best day of my life, and I actually got out of fast service for a couple hours by doing this.

The TPS at my store does spend a day or two's time doing some door time providing guest service while scanning for suspicious guests. He usually steps off when he notices something or when a TM gives him a call out. I think the uniform change has some upsides and downsides. It definitely makes the TPS more approachable and slightly more incognito, but it is less intimidating.

However, when he is at the door he does take on some "greeter" responsibilities. Our TPS has made numerous recoveries based off of what he has witnessed from guests coming into the store, so it can't be that poor of a strategy.

Why do they not wear uniforms any more?

Hello all, I will be starting Target as a TPS in the upcoming weeks, but I have a few concerns that hopefully some of you might be able to solve.
What does a TPS actually do? During my interview, the interviewer made it seem like I would be in fact watching CCTV at times and working to prevent thief, without performing apps, but other forms across the interwebs almost talk as if the job is pretty much being a greeter like at Wally World (Cue the uniform change to be more 'Approachable'). Spot's official job description is so completely vague it raises more questions about what I would be doing.

Well, it really realllllly depends on your activity and who your boss is. Also, the longer you're there the more you'll expand the scope of your job.

For starters, you'll arrive to work and immediately walk the PITLOG. It's a list of 50 items of your stores choosing. Count it, submit it, and report any major discrepancies to your boss.

After that you'll check your board for TPS DAILY ASSIGNMENTS. You'll learn more of this in position. Your boss may tell you a certain amount of time to stand at the doors, they might not.

I work at a super so i do 15 on one side then 15 on the other. In a regular Target i would do 30 minutes at the door. Do a walk around the store, share AP trends with TMs, try to be out there a good 10min. Then I hit the sidewalk for "parking lot patrol" for 10 minutes. Then i spend the last 10 minutes or so in the office watching the cameras. Repeat every hour or replace the floor walk with your daily assignment card.

Also, see that cute girl at guest service? She's off limits(and everyone else), gotta let that douchebag TL from hardlines have her.

When piddling in the back, make sure to leave the tub that you pulled out of the aisle.

I will flip off the camera as I put it back.

Well, it really realllllly depends on your activity and who your boss is. Also, the longer you're there the more you'll expand the scope of your job.

For starters, you'll arrive to work and immediately walk the PITLOG. It's a list of 50 items of your stores choosing. Count it, submit it, and report any major discrepancies to your boss.

After that you'll check your board for TPS DAILY ASSIGNMENTS. You'll learn more of this in position. Your boss may tell you a certain amount of time to stand at the doors, they might not.

I work at a super so i do 15 on one side then 15 on the other. In a regular Target i would do 30 minutes at the door. Do a walk around the store, share AP trends with TMs, try to be out there a good 10min. Then I hit the sidewalk for "parking lot patrol" for 10 minutes. Then i spend the last 10 minutes or so in the office watching the cameras. Repeat every hour or replace the floor walk with your daily assignment card.
Pretty much this. I usually spend 30 minutes per door, though I don't work in a Super, just one connected to a mall. I also do a PLP once every two hours and it only lasts about three minutes and don't go into the office unless I want to watch someone or am writing reports.

Also, see that cute girl at guest service? She's off limits(and everyone else), gotta let that douchebag TL from hardlines have her.
LOL, this too. Big no-no, a TPS got fired for dating a girl in softlines.
@Sushi2Go Corporate, in all their infinite wisdom, is getting rid of the professional looking, dark navy, uniforms to go to weak, rent-a-cop looking, Walmart blue polos because we weren't "approachable enough." My counter-argument iais that we're not supposed to be approachable, but instead should be semi-intimidating that makes those that would come to steal think there's better places to steal from, and those that are honest feel safe.

Thanks for the replies guys! I also have another question, I read on a Loss Prevention forum that for some company's training provides you with a state license as a security guard. Does Target do this in any of your states?
LOL, this too. Big no-no, a TPS got fired for dating a girl in softlines.
Can they do this? I know we are at will employees, but that seems kinda petty. I would have thought they would have asked if I was currently dating/have any friends that work in the location that I will be working at (I don't, but you'd think they would ask if it is such a severe offense.)

Thanks for the replies guys! I also have another question, I read on a Loss Prevention forum that for some company's training provides you with a state license as a security guard. Does Target do this in any of your states?

Can they do this? I know we are at will employees, but that seems kinda petty. I would have thought they would have asked if I was currently dating/have any friends that work in the location that I will be working at (I don't, but you'd think they would ask if it is such a severe offense.)
The handbook states that relationships between regular team members is ok, but AP, TL's, and ETL's cannot date other team members. It also didn't help that he told the whole store they were dating (not in a bragging kind of way).
As for a State License, California requires a "Proprietary Private Security Officer" license through the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS) for in-house security, like loss prevention, and Target paid me back for the $125 it cost to apply.

Dating a team member is a huge security breach. A dishonest AP team member could tell the girl/guy that they are dating the location of cameras, Ingore reports about there girl/guy.

Dating a team member is a huge security breach. A dishonest AP team member could tell the girl/guy that they are dating the location of cameras, Ingore reports about there girl/guy.
Following that logic, AP team members should be termed if they associate with any team member outside working hours.

Last edited:
It really depends on your team.

Spot just busted out "tps daily assignments" where you're assigned what to do that day. From standing at the doors to cosmetics to electronics to backroom etc. If your store I'd busy with shoplifting and you have an aps or a dedicated etl-ap you'll spend a good amount of time in the office doing surveillance. The office is the best place to be but a tps rarely has a reason to be in there. Make sure you get a lot of recoveries, the more you get, the more reports to write, the more time you spend in the office.

Also remember to take initiative and sometimes charge. There's a lot more opportunity to move up in ap than a standard salesfloor role, and they like a tps that goes above and beyond (but not overstepping). Produce a lot of quality recoveries while showing you can perform your tasks and they'll love you. Where I work, having your etl-ap and apbp love you is a lot more important than your stl or etlhr

It really depends on your team.
Also remember to take initiative and sometimes charge. There's a lot more opportunity to move up in ap than a standard salesfloor role, and they like a tps that goes above and beyond (but not overstepping). Produce a lot of quality recoveries while showing you can perform your tasks and they'll love you. Where I work, having your etl-ap and apbp love you is a lot more important than your stl or etlhr
How do TPS team members get recoveries if they are not allowed to detain?

I had enough of my GSTL and his stupid voice one day, and did exactly this. Cut him off every time I heard/saw t fast service. "Team, who's getting that?" "I need one up front for backup. Don't make me call out names" it was the best day of my life, and I actually got out of fast service for a couple hours by doing this.
I just got hime from work and had to listen to that stupid voice for 8 hours. Your post made me laugh out loud!! I am going to copycat you tmw!
My favorite line is Dont make me start calling out names. Bunch of pinheads!

Recoveries aren't just from apprehensions. You see a guy pushing a TV to the door, he sees you, he leaves the TV and walks out. That's a recovery. Preventing the loss of merchandise is the purpose of your role.

And depending on the amount of theft in your store and state you live in, you may be involved in apprehensions as support to someone who is app certified. But most recoveries will come from your presence.

Following that logic, AP team members should be termed if they associate with any team member outside working hours.
Its just a conflict of interest, if the IC told you to investgate your girlfriend or boyfriend and make the arrest, chances are you would tip them off.

Easy, your security presence deters that theft. You will be required to receipt check all high dollar items that are in plain view such as TV'S...if the guest doesn't have a receipt that is a recovery. Also depending on your store you will be in a lot of physical struggles with shoplifters assisting the ETL or APS detain them. Once you and your partner get them controlled, it will be your job placing the cuffs on.

It's sort of a unwritten rule at my store that you shouldn't associate with people from the store. But I don't think it's official handbook policy.

I know some ap people around my district that do date or even have family that works in the same store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back