Archived What is Hol Prem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutifulTM

Cashier
I hope this is the right forum for this.

Anyways, was looking at my pay statement on eHR and noticed something called "Hol Prem"

What is that? I think this is the first time I recall ever seeing it. o_O

Just worried... because it's like 13.25/hr or something, and I have 6hrs under it... and I always make sure I don't hit overtime, or that I don't hit compliance... or work six days in a row in a single target-considered week (sun to sat) ...

eta: and just noticed the pay&benefits board. good grief... I'm out of it. u__u;

Last edited:
Holiday premium. It's usually time and a half for working holidays.

Holiday premium is the time and a half for holiday pay. I think the last check had Memorial Day so if you worked that Monday you got it

Holiday premium. It's usually time and a half for working holidays.
Okay, that explains it then.

Part of me was thinking, "holiday premium...?" but then my tendency to worry took over. Dx

So glad it's nothing that could get me fired. ^^;

Is black friday considered a holiday?

Okay, that explains it then.

Part of me was thinking, "holiday premium...?" but then my tendency to worry took over. Dx

So glad it's nothing that could get me fired. ^^;

Is black friday considered a holiday?

I believe so, Somebody correct me if im wrong, but last Black Friday a friend of mine at work told me that we were going to be paid extra for working that day.

A lot of major retailers will offer holiday pay for working Black Friday as a way to compensate for working the busiest day of the year and dealing with the crazies that come out.

i think black friday holiday premium hours end around noon-1 if im mistaken, thats what some1 told me last year.

but holidays including memorial day, 4th of july, labor day for dayside tm's u will get hol prem. If you work overnight, then i believe that days where the store closes like easter, thanksgiving, and christmas are hol prem as well.

I don't think that you get Holiday Premium for Black Friday, but, if you are full time you will get 8 hours of holiday pay for Thanks Giving.

We were always told we got shift differential for working Black friday and that as long as you clocked in no later than 5am you were paid for the whole shift you worked. And that's the way it's worked out on my checks for that day. And for Thanksgiving, I'm full time, and I didn't get 8 hrs but received whatever my average daily hrs were.

And for Thanksgiving, I'm full time, and I didn't get 8 hrs but received whatever my average daily hrs were.

I may be mistaken on the 8 hours part of it... you may be right, or it may be a state law that determines how much you get for those holidays,

A lot of major retailers will offer holiday pay for working Black Friday as a way to compensate for working the busiest day of the year and dealing with the crazies that come out.

Heck, they ought to pay combat pay for working that morning! :eek:

I never got extra pay for Black Friday. Although at the time I was only a seasonal hire, plus I only worked a mid shift.

If Spot opens at 10pm on Thanksgiving for BF will we get holiday pay for those 2 hours or the whole shift?

Any shift that is a partial shift differential means that the whole shift is at the higher pay.

A few years ago Target stopped having ad set people come in at 4am because the workers got the shift differential for the whole shift. The "new"
time for coming in is 6am and this time is not considered part of a shift differential. Target saved a lot of money changing the ad set work time.

Some retail stores pay people one dollar extra for working on Sunday....wish we did.
Some retail stores let managers work Monday thru Friday with every weekend off. While having weekends off would be nice, I don't think that this is a fair practice.

Any shift that is a partial shift differential means that the whole shift is at the higher pay.

That's not the case any longer. It changed earlier this year. Only hours worked during the differential period earn differential, and you have to work (if I recall correctly) at least three hours during that period to qualify. So a 4a-12:30p shift earns 4 hours of differential, a 5a-1:30p earns 3 hours, and a 5:15a-1:45p earns 0.

Of course, that's not applicable to the question that was asked about holiday premium pay, which never worked the same way as differential to begin with. Only hours worked on the holiday earn holiday premium pay. So a 10pm Thanksgiving shift would earn two hours of holiday premium, and shift differential for any part of the shift between 10pm and 8am (I think 11pm stores actually don't start paying differential until 11pm, though, so you might not get it for 10-11 in those stores.).

This stinks ^^......wonder then what time the stores will open on BF?

For our store the earlier opening was ok, but then most of the rest of the day our sales weren't what they were expecting.

Hopefully Target will got back to a more (reasonable?) opening time.....like 6am BF morning.

This stinks ^^......wonder then what time the stores will open on BF?

For our store the earlier opening was ok, but then most of the rest of the day our sales weren't what they were expecting.

Hopefully Target will got back to a more (reasonable?) opening time.....like 6am BF morning.

We can only dream, can't we?:girl_sigh:

Confirmed - I worked a 4am-10:30 shift recently and I only received shift diff for 4 hours.

spot changed the shift differential from a whole day to 8am. for ex come in at 4am & get differential till 8am.
thanks to this great forum, we were warned prior to reviews. every tl/tm dislikes the change.

spot changed the shift differential from a whole day to 8am. for ex come in at 4am & get differential till 8am.
thanks to this great forum, we were warned prior to reviews. every tl/tm dislikes the change.

I like the change! Anyone that was regularly working those shift got part of the shift dif rolled into their base pay. I for example got half of the shift dif since my whole shift previously was coverd by shift dif and now only half is. Now even if I don't work those hours I'm getting the benefit especially with vacation and holiday pay. Also I got screwed under the old system. A couple of times I worked a 13 hour shift which meant more of my hours were worked outside of shift dif hours and I lost my the shift dif for those hours. Under the new rules I would still get the shift dif for the hours that I worked between close and open.

I like the change! Anyone that was regularly working those shift got part of the shift dif rolled into their base pay. I for example got half of the shift dif since my whole shift previously was coverd by shift dif and now only half is. Now even if I don't work those hours I'm getting the benefit especially with vacation and holiday pay. Also I got screwed under the old system. A couple of times I worked a 13 hour shift which meant more of my hours were worked outside of shift dif hours and I lost my the shift dif for those hours. Under the new rules I would still get the shift dif for the hours that I worked between close and open.

Unless your store is like mine and they did away with shift diff completely (6am unload ULV store). Now people at my store can work overnight / 4am shifts and will receive 0 shift diff.

Unless your store is like mine and they did away with shift diff completely (6am unload ULV store). Now people at my store can work overnight / 4am shifts and will receive 0 shift diff.

Are you sure that is correct? The way that it was rolled out is that all stores were changing to the close to open shift diff for shifts before 4am. If you work a 4am shift, even though you have a 6am process, you should get the shift dif. The only difference should be between overnight stores closing at 10 and those closing at 11. At least that is how I understand it.

The idea was that you would not be depending on those shifts for extra pay and could instead take a mid or closing shift without a huge impact on your paycheck. The idea was to minimize the impact that it had on team members but to compensate those already with the company so they would not be impacted by the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back