Archived What is IcePeasant Doing!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcePeasant

Flock Leader
BUT FIRST..A little background on me without being too specific to give myself away... Seasonal TM-> Reg TM->Temp TL-> FSTL -> SFTL

Now in the transitions, I’ve only had one interview session, my initial hire interview. Under specific circumstances, became temp in q4 last year because of multiple factors ( TL LOA, TL supervising too busy to supervise, plus more). Flash forward a year, I was talking leadership and the subject of the next step in leadership came about. I know we have an opening for SRTL. I’m no stranger to taking initiative, helping support other areas, supporting LOD, etc. Sometimes I take LOD calls while LOD is busy. Okay, enough background, now my perdictaments. I own a large area of the floor, I rely on my team to ensure much of things are completed while I am not working.

First perdictament: How Do you current SRTLs balance everything? I have projects that I’d love to complete to improve, but I am also mentoring TMs to develop their skills further in becoming even more self sufficient about the business and leadership. I have the mentality that I can always improve something, so I consistently ask leadership for feedback what I can improve on.

Second Perdictament: As you’ve read above, I had one interview since my time at Spot. I’ve read and re-read all the posts regarding the TL/SRTL interviews(this site is my best friend) TBR has helped me in understanding my new role (SFTL). I always strive to do my best and achieve more than I know I can. Is it necessarily a negative talking solely about your own area. Granted, I have helped Softlines, Consumables, the front, Electronics, but if I can’t think of any high scope, impact situations, would falling back on my own area’s be necessarily seen as a negative?

Third: I have talked to the DTL maybe a handful of times, granted I am either fixing something for LOD when they enter the room(Line, trash, cardboard, UPS, Reshop control). Anything the DTL points out gets fixed automatically and I mention it to the team so we can improve overall not just myself. How much influence does the Leadership team’s desire for a TL to become a SRTL hold in regards to the decision of a DTL?

If you lasted this long, I applaud you, I’m pretty sure talking to me in person, this would probably be an hour long conversation. :p

EDIT: Should’ve/Could’ve posted in Leadership Columns.

Last edited:
I think you are getting the srtl job via your Stl. Apply for it, too. Your mgt trusts & likes your hard work. We had 2 TL's get srtl jobs & interview was a few weeks later. But, spot did do the background check first, so they could codes & keys.
Good luck, ip.

TBH, if your store wants you for Sr, it is pretty much a done deal. The DTL would have to really hate you for you to get turned down. Prep with a trusted leader. I prepped very well, and got asked all sorts of low scope questions, lol.

I think you are getting the srtl job via your Stl. Apply for it, too. Your mgt trusts & likes your hard work. We had 2 TL's get srtl jobs & interview was a few weeks later. But, spot did do the background check first, so they could codes & keys.
Good luck, ip.

TBH, if your store wants you for Sr, it is pretty much a done deal. The DTL would have to really hate you for you to get turned down. Prep with a trusted leader. I prepped very well, and got asked all sorts of low scope questions, lol.

They haven’t talked about it yet, but the leader did mention they’d bring me up as a consideration in their meeting and had a feeling that their peers would feel the same way. I know they are in a rush to find replacements for the open positions we have, especially coming into the end of q4. I would like to see if it’s a possiblity for maybe next year, new year, fresh start.

How do you manage your area while taking LOD shifts throughout the month/weeks? I know it’s a large step, granted my total time at Spot has been 2.5 years and counting, I’m sure it’d be similar to that when I close with and other given LOD, just not having another me to help me out lol.

How do you manage your area while taking LOD shifts throughout the month/weeks? I know it’s a large step, granted my total time at Spot has been 2.5 years and counting, I’m sure it’d be similar to that when I close with and other given LOD, just not having another me to help me out lol.

You need some strong team members who can work independently and some team members who can lead when you aren't around.

My CTL who is a senior and has bucks cafe and market has finally started to flourish because she got a strong team.

No one respected the PAs a few months ago and she was LOD 3 times a week. All our departments struggled. Now she has some team members who can lead and the department is flourishing.

You need some strong team members who can work independently and some team members who can lead when you aren't around.

My CTL who is a senior and has bucks cafe and market has finally started to flourish because she got a strong team.

No one respected the PAs a few months ago and she was LOD 3 times a week. All our departments struggled. Now she has some team members who can lead and the department is flourishing.

I’m mentoring one TM in particular who I am taking under my wing, they’ve expressed a desire to move up and I have taught them the main roles that I do/have done. They’ve had the same issue as your PAs, not being listened to, respected, etc. It will take them time to manage and maintain the area productively and efficiently without me managing 100% of the time. I have probably a handful of other team members who could potentially take on the role, I’d need to talk more to them regarding it.

But I have relatively a large area to maintain, while I’m in my area, I fill outs, brand, get in a super-zone here and there, etc. I don’t want my areas to suffer, but I know it’s part of the deal if you’re a SRTL, not being in your area 100% of the time (I’m not already, but it’s just going to be even more).

They haven’t talked about it yet, but the leader did mention they’d bring me up as a consideration in their meeting and had a feeling that their peers would feel the same way. I know they are in a rush to find replacements for the open positions we have, especially coming into the end of q4. I would like to see if it’s a possiblity for maybe next year, new year, fresh start.

As @HRZone says, know your strong team members well, who don't need a babysitter & are global. They help you out the most. I learn the most about the team when I do the training for new folks. I know who weak ones are & the strong ones are.

Train and delegate. You shouldn't be the one super zonng, for instance, but training, delegating, and following up on it. All tasks.
Sadly, their availabilities and staffing isn't the best, and I mentioned that when training. I’ve been usually training on the weekends or delegating when I’m closing, otherwise, not enough hands on the floor to complete anything and don’t want anything piling up for closer-reshops, trash, cafs, etc. When we do have a big team, that’s when I am usually given a smaller team to delegate, or help delegate the entire team. When I had told a TM to Super zone an area, the LOD questioned me like I didn’t know what I was doing or planning ahead for, so I usually do that myself or else they’ll skip over it LOD with overturn my directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back