What is something you wish your ETL-HR knew / did?

Hi!

I am currently in the pipeline to become an ETL-Human Resources. I come from the sales floor, unlike the current ETL-HR at my store, and have since realized how important the connection between sales floor experience and being an ETL-Human Resources is. Sure, the metrics say it takes x amount of time to get y done, but reading the numbers vs being trained to do the task personally makes you a different kind of leader.

I think the first thing I'd want to ask TMs now that I have more experience in HR is: what do they wish their ETL HR knew about their job? What are some gaps that truly affect your work? Is there anything that they do that you wish they'd do differently? Are they too focused on being friendly with team members or are they not approachable enough? etc, etc.

Also, is there something that your ETL HR does that you do like? What, in your mind, makes a great ETL HR?

You knowing how long a task takes to complete , has no bearing on how you’ll perform your job.
You WILL tow the company line. You WILL be beholden to metrics.
One thing you can do more of is keep feeding the TMs. If their mouths are busy chewing, they won’t have an opportunity to ask questions/complain. Plus, stuffing ones self is a good way to fight depression that any position at Target surely cause.
A good/great etl , is a dead etl

HR used to be the face of "Fast, Fun and Friendly", but that's long gone. Feed the team when you can, keep candy in your office so people will come see you.

I have seen 9 ETL HR come through my store - 3 left Target, 2 transferred, 2 were fired, 1 was a temporary fill-in between a fire and a hire, one currently in role.
The worst of them: acted immature, played favorites, talked to tm’s about other tm’s, micro-managed, never left their office, always put you off (not now to any question), outwardly disagreed with SD, pretended to know what they didn’t, never addressed concerns to improve anything, weren’t approachable,
The one/two decent ones : kept confidentiality, treated all equally, listened and made improvements/addressed concerns, walked the salesfloor and talked to tm’s (even pitched in a little), Knew their stuff/had answers, smiled, not overly demanding (Remember we all answer to other chiefs).

I have seen 9 ETL HR come through my store - 3 left Target, 2 transferred, 2 were fired, 1 was a temporary fill-in between a fire and a hire, one currently in role.
The worst of them: acted immature, played favorites, talked to tm’s about other tm’s, micro-managed, never left their office, always put you off (not now to any question), outwardly disagreed with SD, pretended to know what they didn’t, never addressed concerns to improve anything, weren’t approachable,
The one/two decent ones : kept confidentiality, treated all equally, listened and made improvements/addressed concerns, walked the salesfloor and talked to tm’s (even pitched in a little), Knew their stuff/had answers, smiled, not overly demanding (Remember we all answer to other chiefs).
So only 1 out of 10 etl hr was decent . That’s quite a statement.

So only 1 out of 10 etl hr was decent . That’s quite a statement.
Actually, I have worked for many very good ETL’s - however, our assigned HR ETL’s have all been very terrible. Except 1 very good and 1 not entirely terrible.
My tenure has seen more ETL’s than I can remember But the HR ones won for being the worst group.

Actually, I have worked for many very good ETL’s - however, our assigned HR ETL’s have all been very terrible. Except 1 very good and 1 not entirely terrible.
My tenure has seen more ETL’s than I can remember But the HR ones won for being the worst group.

It depends on your building sometimes too. Our ETL-HR group in my building was always pretty good (until recently) when the direction to stay in your lane came down. Now they just stay in their offices and wonder why everyone else is stressed to shit. The best HR's had a pulse on their store, able to step into any workcenter throughout the week and help out and feel out the team. Now they are very expensive seat warmers.

Don’t just office dwell. Try to get involved in simple sales floor things once in a while like doing a ship batch or following up with TM’s who are active on the floor. My old ETL-HR is so incompetent with anything sales floor its a joke amongst the management team, but she at least gives a shit and tries. That’s why everyone likes her. She’s great with her HR stuff and genuinely tries to branch out a bit.

Back