Archived What is Target's policy on guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw a picture on the Open Carry Texas website http://www.opencarrytexas.org/1_10_Photo-Gallery.html that raises the question of what Target's policy is on carrying guns into their stores.

The picture, in the first group of pictures in the gallery, shows a guest with an assault rifle slung over his shoulder looking into a "coffin" freezer in a Target.

If I saw that in my store I'd be out the door and on the way home. Don't want to wait around to see if he's a "good guy with a gun" or a "bad guy with a gun."

Dunno though.. company logo is a bullseye.. seems like all those targets might be awful tempting to some trigger happy person..ill admit sometimes even ill use a PDA or temp gun and aim for the various bullseyes around the store (not any on people though)

My store is a constant game of MC9200 tag around the salesfloor.

Anyway being in a state with pretty liberal (not politically liberal) gun laws, I see more than the occasional pistol, although most people aren't nutty enough to walk around with a rifle in the store.

I do believe that official Spot policy for US is that we cannot carry while on the job, even if we are properly credentialed.

This is good for me, because I don't fire warning shots.

I'm sure the rules are going to be that customers are under state law.
As far as I know employees aren't allowed to carry on the job.
Off the clock you are the same as any guest.

Our STL confronted a guest once and said it was only ok for law enforcement. Never found out if he was right though.

What's the policy on knives, crossbows, bats, spears, shovels, swords, etc...? If you ban one, got to ban all of them.

What's the policy on knives, crossbows, bats, spears, shovels, swords, etc...? If you ban one, got to ban all of them.

You'd be surprised, there isn't a multibillion dollar spear industry trying to make sure everyone has one in their house so it's easier to make laws about them.
You can bet that if an Olympic trained javelin thrower went nuts and walked into a movie theater one night with a dozen or so roman pilum. after that horrible situation, the politicians would ban spears so fast it your head wouldn't stop spinning.

Last edited:
I really dislike the open carry groups. They harm their cause more than help it because they do it in a way that plays right into what the anti-gun people believes about gun owners. They don't exercise any amount of common sense or tact and just go around shoving their "We like guns!!" down everybody's throat. Want to carry a long rifle around because it's legal? Fine, do it safely: Slung across the back, muzzle down, and FUCKING UNLOADED. Retards like this pair in a Chipotle piss me off:

michael-bloomberg-wants-to-ban-guns-in-chipotle.jpg

Seeing this makes me want to butt stroke them with their own weapons. They aren't casually exercising their right to legally open carry a rifle, they are specifically intimidating others and calling it free speech.

Even in Iraq during the height of the war, you kept your weapon unloaded in safe areas. Al-Asad/Camp Fallujah/Baghdad Green Zone? Only loaded when on sentry duty or about to leave the wire. You got fried if you walked around with a loaded weapon otherwise.

I would just love to see how those two would react to being dumped out in the Bush for a couple of months and have to use those stupid things to actually hunt for food.
I suspect they would be very hungry.

In my state it has to be posted on the entrance if guns are not allowed. No sign means you are free to conceal and carry. My store has no sign on it. :)

They aren't guns, they are weapons. Only people kill, weapons only enable killing. However when it comes to guns, if the other guy has a gun and you don't, you're pretty much screwed. If I was in public and someone went on a shooting rampage, I'd be praying that someone nearby has a conceal and carry.

They aren't guns, they are weapons. Only people kill, weapons only enable killing. However when it comes to guns, if the other guy has a gun and you don't, you're pretty much screwed. If I was in public and someone went on a shooting rampage, I'd be praying that someone nearby has a conceal and carry.

Most people will fumble, freeze and panic in crisis situations, including those who concealed carry. Very few of them are trained in what to do in crisis situations. The very last place I would want to have been in that Aurora theater is next to one of our concealed carry countrymen. Whether one is a good shot has very little bearing on how effective a concealed carry person will be in such a situation.

Yes, you are correct, guns in and off themselves do not go around killing people. Neither do nuclear weapons. Interestingly, the same folks who regularly parrot the good old, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people!" gem are among the first ones to demand that nuclear weapons be taken away from particular countries and their citizens, denying them the same right to self-defense that we demand. If they had a bit of intellectual consistency, they would merely demand that the leaders of those countries be removed, not the "inanimate objects" belonging to the people.

I support concealed carry but I don't support stupid people waving guns around.
When Gabby Gifford was shot a man with a concealed carry license came on the scene moments after it happened.
Being a trained and intelligent gun owner he did exactly what he was supposed to, kept his weapon holstered.
You have to know where and when to draw.
Most of these idiots wouldn't even know to check for back stop.

Had an interesting conversation about this with our ETL-AP and other ETLs. I attached the official policy out of the new handbook.

"Possession or use of any firearms, weapons, explosives or any other dangerous devices on Target property or at Target events, except as permitted by law."

I told the ETLs that my position was, being a licensed concealed carry permit holder, I could legally concealed carry while on the clock and not be in violation of policy, under the "as permitted by law" clause. The ETLs agreed and said that if Target were to fire me over concealed carrying on the clock, I would more than likely win if I pursued legal action due to how the policy is written.

However, they strongly urged me not to concealed carry on the clock.

Usually I would leave my pistol in my vehicle but I would occasionally carry it in my waistband while working the salesfloor, especially on Black Friday and during the holidays, if I was wearing proper length attire. Nobody ever noticed/said anything. I didn't advertise it obviously. Wouldn't do it while I was working in the backroom, though, due to the rougher environment. Didnt want to hit it on something or have someone see when lifting above my head.

Attachments

• 2013-09-23 10.28.14.jpg
    2013-09-23 10.28.14.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
I don't see how a backroom team member could hold a gun along with all the stuff they already carry. I think in high risk areas, maybe there should be an off duty cop in the building as security. 99 percent aren't going to cause trouble if they see a cop. It's fear but it works. They know that the cop can either arrest them or kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back