Archived What is the policy on time off request at your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuki

Yuki
GE told me today that time off request get approved based on how many vacation hours you have. For example (he said) let's say your vacation hours are 12. You could only request up to that many hours. Like if you average 5 hour shifts you be able to only request 2 days off until you accumulate more vacation time. Here's the kicker this is even if you aren't requesting paid time off.

He's a new GE in in our store. He's been here less than 6 months. I've been here for almost 3 years and I've never had this problem. EVER. He told me it should've always been this way maybe our store does it different. I have never gotten my time off request denied before but I usually put it in a month/months ahead of time.

Please help me this all sounds really funny but I'm not sure of the actually policy for time off besides first come, first serve.

This falls under asants but generally no a store can't deny you unpaid time off simply because you don't have paid time off. A regular tm doesnt qualify for time off until they have worked 1000 hours.

Officially a store can reject time off based on store needs but there are things you can do too to boost your chance of approval

A) request in advance, the earlier the better.

B) do not request a day off then cross your fingers hoping you will get it off. Talk to your etl so they can approve it. If they do mytime will block the day so you can't be scheduled.

C) put a reason with your request. Lie if you have to. No one is going to turn down your request because you are putting your puppy down or going to visit your parents.

Last edited:
To earn vacation time, you need to work 1000 hours, as regular tm and do everything as hrzone stated.

Also, tell your tl or etl about your request for time off when you do it, too.

Please your fixed typo, @HRZone.

This falls under asants but generally no a store can't deny you unpaid time off simply because you don't have paid time off. A regular tm doesnt qualify for time off until they have worked 1000 hours.

Officially a store can reject time off based on store needs but there are things you can do too to boost your chance of approval

A) request in advance, the earlier the better.

B) do not request a day off then cross your fingers hoping you will get it off. Talk to your etl so they can approve it. If they do mytime will block the day so you can't be scheduled.

C) put a reason with your request. Lie if you have to. No one is going to turn down your request because you are putting your puppy down or going to visit your parents.
This is what I usually do. My request are put it months in advance and I put the reason too.

GE told me today that time off request get approved based on how many vacation hours you have. For example (he said) let's say your vacation hours are 12. You could only request up to that many hours. Like if you average 5 hour shifts you be able to only request 2 days off until you accumulate more vacation time. Here's the kicker this is even if you aren't requesting paid time off.

He's a new GE in in our store. He's been here less than 6 months. I've been here for almost 3 years and I've never had this problem. EVER. He told me it should've always been this way maybe our store does it different. I have never gotten my time off request denied before but I usually put it in a month/months ahead of time.

Please help me this all sounds really funny but I'm not sure of the actually policy for time off besides first come, first serve.

He is so wrong its not funny. He is mistaking getting paid for how long you can request off. You can request off as long as you want really, getting paid for those days, you only get paid for how much you have earned. You want to see his ass get cowed in a hurry, repeat his logic to your ETLHR she/he will stop that shit cold.. Cause it assumes you even earn vacation time - meaning that if he has employees that don't earn vacation they can never ever have a day off.

Edit to add.
His logic would apply in a 9-5 job where you only get specific days off a year and you are only allowed to take off days you have earned off, but that is a set number of days per year. Let me guess he's new to retail?

Last edited:
As others have said the etl is full of crap. They cant deny you time off because you don't have vacation time.If us tms were salaried that might would be the case. When, I am requesting time off I always try to do it a month in advance. ( our store policy is three weeks). I always tell my srtl and or log etl that I submitted a time off request. I will check on the status of the status of my request about a week from the day I submitted it . If it hasn't been approved I follow up with my srtl. I remind him that its still pending.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if he's new to retail but I know he's not good at his job. I've heard a bunch of complaints about him coming from other ETLs.

I'm going to talk to my HR-TL but no only is she barely in but she usually pushes concerns back to the GE. So fingers crossed.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if he's new to retail but I know he's not good at his job. I've heard a bunch of complaints about him coming from other ETLs.

As rock lobster said. The etl ge is usually the weak link. Not always, i have trained at stores with a good salesfloor/GE but stored with just a GE usually have a red card cheerleader with no management experience

I've never heard of it being based off of your available vacation hours, but then again, I've never requested vacation when I didn't have any available.

I always, always put a reason with my time off requests. Up until now, they've always been unpaid time off and I've never been denied.

I rarely have a month when I don't request at least five days off. I have a second job that pays more than double what I make at target. My time off requests always get approved. On the rare occasion that all of the requests get auto denied, I find somebody to cover for me. If I was getting vacation pay for all the time off that I take, I'd be getting 10 weeks vacation a year at least.

I'm going to talk to my HR-TL but no only is she barely in but she usually pushes concerns back to the GE. So fingers crossed.

they still have to have policy correct. Trust me on this.. When our new GE tried to make all of us on a break or lunch help a guest he got his ass chewed something fierce for that bullshit.. And basically went around and had to apologize to a bunch of us who told him "Uh no that is working off the clock."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back