Archived What makes a great GSTL and what makes a terrible GSTL who everyone dreads to work with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
imo just based on my gstl only always tell the team where they going to disappear & when they might possibly come back.. Every Front End TM...

Last edited by a moderator:
The "Its not my job" mentality makes you a horrible GSTL. Yes you have GSAs and Cashiers who could do the work but if its something you wouldn't do then dont expect your team to do it either. Cashiers appreciate hands on work. Helping them be successful at the lanes. Cart attendants knowing their role and why its important to hustle but offering to help them be successful. Taking your GSTM side when they deny a return. Often I might return something they denied, I always explain its store policy and next time you could be denied again but that the GSTM was not wrong.

Terrible
Saying:
“I’m a team lead I can’t get in trouble”
“Can I get one for guest first? *responder comes* I need you to cover ____ break/lunch”
*hands equipment and keys to TM* “I’ll be back”

Doing:
Not stacking AT ALL or properly
Having people hit compliance
Calling LOD for reasons or situations that can be handled themselves
Not speedweaving

Great for Guests:
  • Being on top of calling for guests first when needed.
  • apologetic when there is an issue
  • helping them resolve issues quickly and effectively (i.e. They have a missed coupon? Hop on an open lane yourself and fix it for them. Don't send them to service desk)
Great for Cashiers:
  • Sending everyone on their breaks and lunches appropriately. Nothing will make you more hated than sending someone to lunch late and then they're written up for meal compliance.
  • Help them bag/remove hangers to get their guests through faster
  • Being very responsive to blinkies
  • Recognition for great service and redcards
  • Helping them with their schedule. If they have questions, comments, concerns, etc. see what you can handle yourself first instead of having them wait for your ETL.
Great for your ETL:
  • Manage slow times effectively so that cashiers are always working and not standing around waiting for guests. Have them push reshops, clean, zone, and push.
  • Performance Management!! Absolutely do not go to your ETL and tell them that someone needs to be moved out of the workcenter because they're bad if you don't have a backup plan or you haven't attempted to help them improve yet. You want everyone to become and asset to the company. My biggest pet peeve are GSTLs that tell me a TM needs to be moved out of Guest Services without any attempt to improve. If you're going to move someone out you need to have a backup ready. Learn how to write and deliver counselings. Your HR needs to review the paperwork before you deliver so use that as the chance to loop in your ETL. A quick "Hey boss [TM] had a walked order this morning so I'm going to have a seek-to-understand and then write a PDD." That's all we need. Take every opportunity to cross train your team in other workcenters. Teach some cashiers how to cover service desk. Teach some how to cover Cafe or Cart attendant. Teach some how to work on the salesfloor so that they can help push reshops, grab an item for a guest, etc.
  • Managing your ENTIRE team, not just cashiers. You own cashiers, service desk, cart/brand attendants, and possibly Cafe/Starbucks. Check-in with them to make sure their tasks are getting done. Manage their breaks and lunches as well. (This is ASANTS but I've found that when left on their own, the team will not properly plan ahead to make sure coverage is there. They'll wait too long to go to lunch and will leave 1 person alone during rushes). Make sure brand attendants are doing proper bathroom checks. Make sure Starbucks/Cafe are keeping their lobby cleaned and stocked. Make sure they're filling out the cleaning/temp logs.
  • ASANTS but see if you can take over part or all of the scheduling. This depends more on what your STL/DTL wants. I know some have ETLs doing the schedule. Others put it all on the HR team. Other's are fine with TLs writing it.
  • Try to resolve issues as much as possible before looking to involve your ETL. This is not to say that you should try to hide problems from your ETL. Rather you have many tools at your disposal to solve most issues that arise. A guest wants to complain about a TM? You can handle that. A guest is upset something is out of stock? Apologize and offer to check other stores/order it online for them. A guest wants to speak to a manger? You are a manager. Let them know. You only need to get your ETL/an LOD if they specifically ask for the store manager (don't give them your STL's name unless he's the LOD that day).
  • Follow-up, follow-up, follow-up! When your ETL gives you a task to do you need to make a game plan to get it done. Let them know and then get it done. Inform them when the task is completed or why it didn't get done. Don't wait for them to come back to find that you haven't done anything. The worse thing is for your ETL to ask for an update and all you can say is "sorry I forgot" and "sorry we were busy". No! Write everything down that you need to get done and loop them if you need help getting it done. "Hey boss I know you wanted me to step off to work on the schedule but we're pretty backed-up at the lanes. Is it ok if I work on it later or can another TL watch the front for me?" You're holding yourself accountable, you're looping in your ETL, and you've given them options.
  • Finally, take the initiative. Your ETL shouldn't have to come through and tell you that CL9 candies are out, the service desk looks a mess, RFID scan didn't get done (yes we have to do that now for the baby registry kits), etc. You should know your business and be on the lookout for opportunities. My favorite GSTL will check the schedule for the rest of the day as soon as they come in. If they see areas of light coverage they'll immediately loop in the LOD to see who we can flex over/call-in to help. They'll also loop me or the LOD in right away if service desk needs more equipment like another zebra for OPU (yes I've had some GSTLs that won't bother doing that and will leave the team try to manage without a zebra). You need to constantly be looking for solutions to any problems. Don't give up. The worse thing you can do as a GSTL is to give up.
Hope this helps

Great for Guests:
  • helping them resolve issues quickly and effectively (i.e. They have a missed coupon? Hop on an open lane yourself and fix it for them. Don't send them to service desk)
Great for Cashiers:
  • Sending everyone on their breaks and lunches appropriately. Nothing will make you more hated than sending someone to lunch late and then they're written up for meal compliance.
  • Helping them with their schedule. If they have questions, comments, concerns, etc. see what you can handle yourself first instead of having them wait for your ETL.
Great for your ETL:
  • Manage slow times effectively so that cashiers are always working and not standing around waiting for guests. Have them push reshops, clean, zone, and push.
  • Performance Management!! Absolutely do not go to your ETL and tell them that someone needs to be moved out of the workcenter because they're bad if you don't have a backup plan or you haven't attempted to help them improve yet. You want everyone to become and asset to the company. My biggest pet peeve are GSTLs that tell me a TM needs to be moved out of Guest Services without any attempt to improve. If you're going to move someone out you need to have a backup ready. Learn how to write and deliver counselings. Your HR needs to review the paperwork before you deliver so use that as the chance to loop in your ETL. A quick "Hey boss [TM] had a walked order this morning so I'm going to have a seek-to-understand and then write a PDD." That's all we need. Take every opportunity to cross train your team in other workcenters. Teach some cashiers how to cover service desk. Teach some how to cover Cafe or Cart attendant. Teach some how to work on the salesfloor so that they can help push reshops, grab an item for a guest, etc.
  • Managing your ENTIRE team, not just cashiers. You own cashiers, service desk, cart/brand attendants, and possibly Cafe/Starbucks. Check-in with them to make sure their tasks are getting done. Manage their breaks and lunches as well. (This is ASANTS but I've found that when left on their own, the team will not properly plan ahead to make sure coverage is there. They'll wait too long to go to lunch and will leave 1 person alone during rushes). Make sure brand attendants are doing proper bathroom checks. Make sure Starbucks/Cafe are keeping their lobby cleaned and stocked. Make sure they're filling out the cleaning/temp logs.
  • ASANTS but see if you can take over part or all of the scheduling. This depends more on what your STL/DTL wants. I know some have ETLs doing the schedule. Others put it all on the HR team. Other's are fine with TLs writing it.
  • Try to resolve issues as much as possible before looking to involve your ETL. This is not to say that you should try to hide problems from your ETL. Rather you have many tools at your disposal to solve most issues that arise. A guest wants to complain about a TM? You can handle that. A guest is upset something is out of stock? Apologize and offer to check other stores/order it online for them. A guest wants to speak to a manger? You are a manager. Let them know. You only need to get your ETL/an LOD if they specifically ask for the store manager (don't give them your STL's name unless he's the LOD that day).
  • Follow-up, follow-up, follow-up! When your ETL gives you a task to do you need to make a game plan to get it done. Let them know and then get it done. Inform them when the task is completed or why it didn't get done. Don't wait for them to come back to find that you haven't done anything. The worse thing is for your ETL to ask for an update and all you can say is "sorry I forgot" and "sorry we were busy". No! Write everything down that you need to get done and loop them if you need help getting it done. "Hey boss I know you wanted me to step off to work on the schedule but we're pretty backed-up at the lanes. Is it ok if I work on it later or can another TL watch the front for me?" You're holding yourself accountable, you're looping in your ETL, and you've given them options.
  • Finally, take the initiative. Your ETL shouldn't have to come through and tell you that CL9 candies are out, the service desk looks a mess, RFID scan didn't get done (yes we have to do that now for the baby registry kits), etc. You should know your business and be on the lookout for opportunities. My favorite GSTL will check the schedule for the rest of the day as soon as they come in. If they see areas of light coverage they'll immediately loop in the LOD to see who we can flex over/call-in to help. They'll also loop me or the LOD in right away if service desk needs more equipment like another zebra for OPU (yes I've had some GSTLs that won't bother doing that and will leave the team try to manage without a zebra). You need to constantly be looking for solutions to any problems. Don't give up. The worse thing you can do as a GSTL is to give up.
Hope this helps
These are all great Ideas , thanks for sharing.

Just from a cashier, sco, service desk tms perspective:

I really appreciate my GSTLs for getting the chance to know their team. Not that I need recognition all the time, but a little “good job” or even a sarcastic comment always makes me feel nice every once in awhile. Knowing that they respect me and feel that I’m doing a good job, pushes me to work hard to not disapoint them. Also, I always appreciate them standing behind me at the service desk. Even if they give in to the guest, they generally let the guest know I was following policy correctly. Just little things that I think go a long way in the eyes of a lot of TMs.

my gstl flashed me her boobs but im not even gonna talk to anybody about it bc anybody with a higher status at my target could care less what regular team members think lol

YAY! Thank you so much for posting! The perspective of an ETL --> It's really helpful. Thank you.
Great for Guests:
Great for Cashiers:
Great for your ETL:
Hope this helps

this was before modernization, but just letting cashiers know more helped a lot. hey i'm going to be here, talk to this person if you need me. when i first started i got yelled at a lot because i flashed a light and a gsa was in the backroom. they just appreciated being in the know. hey your break is going to be around your 4th, when suzy gets back?

also never undermining a cashier. they called you over cause we told them not to allow it? if i have to i say they did everything right and this is our policy. for this one time i'll make an exception.

My GSTL is hands on, and present. She gets shit done.
She's of those people that makes sure you understand the who, what, when, where, why, and how (is Gamora), of what you're doing. She's empowering, kind, supportive, and understanding, but she also knows how to challenge and push her cashiers, GSAs, and GSTMs. Sometimes getting a compliment out of her is like pulling teeth out, but, it is what it is.

She's really the only GSTL experience I've had... but I've had bad management.
Yells, but especially for no reason. Mind games. Sleeping with staff. Not explaining things. Being late. Being a NCNS. Excessive breaks. SPENDING AN ENTIRE SHIFT ON THE PHONE WITH YOUR TRAIN WRECK GIRLFRIEND. Cough.

No reason at all or communication. Leaving for not a break period but for 20-30 mins. Leaves lanes completely.

Our GSTL/GSAs do this ALL of the time. I honestly don't know where they go or what they're doing. I don't need to know either. What I do need to know is how to get a hold of them quickly because putting on my blinker doesn't work. It's poor guest service to have a guest waiting 3, 4, 5 minutes or longer because your leadership is AWOL.

Our GSTLs don't normally stand out at the front of the lanes anymore, and don't speed weave. However, when you have only 2 lanes open, there isn't really any speed weaving to do.

Just read through this and what?!? Your GSTLs actually do something??

My GSTLs do way less than any GSA and just hang out up front. God forbid you ask a question or have a concern...

Our GSTL/GSAs do this ALL of the time. I honestly don't know where they go or what they're doing. I don't need to know either. What I do need to know is how to get a hold of them quickly because putting on my blinker doesn't work. It's poor guest service to have a guest waiting 3, 4, 5 minutes or longer because your leadership is AWOL.

Our GSTLs don't normally stand out at the front of the lanes anymore, and don't speed weave. However, when you have only 2 lanes open, there isn't really any speed weaving to do.
GSTL and I used to sit in the office all day and loaf back in the day before I started hating them... all the ETLs knew and would join us and we never were reprimanded for it until the very end when my ETL ge wanted to find a reason to fuck with me.

I was one lazy, lazy fucker but so was the gstl. (In fact all the GSAs too).

Just read through this and what?!? Your GSTLs actually do something??

My GSTLs do way less than any GSA and just hang out up front. God forbid you ask a question or have a concern...
I had a gstl who “delegated” all of her responsibilities to me and stood around blowing bubbles or wanted to cashier all the time and make the GSAs run the front. Like what was she being paid for? We had cashiers that did more. She was fired after about 9 months so I’m thrilled she’s gone. Even being short handed now we still get more done without her!

I had a gstl who “delegated” all of her responsibilities to me and stood around blowing bubbles or wanted to cashier all the time and make the GSAs run the front. Like what was she being paid for? We had cashiers that did more. She was fired after about 9 months so I’m thrilled she’s gone. Even being short handed now we still get more done without her!
Sounds like my former GSTL when I was a GSA. Lazy fuck. Guess who’s GSTL now ? Me.

“Blowing bubbles” is literally what our GSTLs do....I read your post and could’ve died laughing because my 2 GSTL’s actually just had a bubble-blowing contest tonight with the bubblegum I pulled from the lanes because it expired 6 months ago...

Howdy all. So I worked as a front end lead for a number of years. We have the largest number of tm's in the store to manage. Most of the time off the lanes is writing and giving TM reviews. Even with 4 of us sharing the load it's still time consuming especially when each tm is unique and their review has to be custom written and scored just for them. Their strengths, weaknesses, and working towards addressing those weaknesses while giving positive reinforcement. Along with looking ahead at goals that we would like you to work towards for the next hear until your next review. Then depending on your review score your raise is calculated and entered in the system. And that's just one aspect of being a gstl! Honestly your gstl is not obligated to tell you where they are going and what they are doing. But one of them should always be accessible if need be and carry a walkie at all times. Just remember to have fun smooze with your guest you are checking out and don't forget to offer them the benefits of a target debit/credit account that they can be approved in a few short minutes for their purchase that day! I hope you are all prosperous meeting and beating this years sales goals. Go front end team members the best team at Target!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back