Archived What's our price adjustment policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is in the title, can anyone tell me what the policy is on price adjustments for people who buy something and then it goes on sale a few weeks later?

BP says 90 days but every store i've heard of follows the 14 day rule so really you could vibe it if you wanted to. Right now anything can be price adjusted until dec 24th if it's purchased between nov 1st-dec 24th.
They also need to have the original receipt.

Redandkhaki nailed it. It's the holidays, so they have until the 24th of December...otherwise 14 days.

BP says 90 days but every store i've heard of follows the 14 day rule so really you could vibe it if you wanted to. Right now anything can be price adjusted until dec 24th if it's purchased between nov 1st-dec 24th.
They also need to have the original receipt.

It doesn't have to be a Target lower price either.

It doesn't have to be a Target lower price either.

As I understood when I worked there is that the competitor ad match was the same 14 days assuming that it is the current ad, same item/size etc.

Not sure about how the online stuff works though...

Everyone's right about the Dec 24th thing, but the actual policy for the rest of the year is if it goes on sale the following week, we adjust, otherwise its a no go. I think it was a poorly communicated policy change, because no one at my store believed me until I printed it out, but it's true.

As I understood when I worked there is that the competitor ad match was the same 14 days assuming that it is the current ad, same item/size etc.

Not sure about how the online stuff works though...

What? I thought that was only when bought at the same time? Now I'm confused.

Wait...when you do a price adjustment...you scan the receipt, hit price adjustment and then enter the dpci....and it will tell you if there is a lower price to be had...it doesn't give you an option for another store. So you'd have to just adjust the price (because it will ask you) and then they will wonder later why you adjusted it. You would have to do a return on the product and then resell it as a price match, which I don't think is completely kosher.

Last edited:
... but the actual policy for the rest of the year is if it goes on sale the following week, we adjust, otherwise its a no go...

If it goes on sale in the next week or the week after. You get 14 days, which means two weekly ads.

Also, you can get that price adjustment at any time within the time period that the register would allow a return on the item, as long as the price you're adjusting to was valid within that 14-day period. This means you don't have to come in for your adjustment during the week the item is on sale. Obviously it's easiest to just do it then, but if for some reason you can't, you are allowed to keep a copy of the ad and bring it in to show as proof that you were eligible for the price adjustment. The register will ask what the price should be adjusted to (and I think it also asks if the guest has brought in the ad for proof, but my memory is a little hazy on that part--I think I did it a grand total of ONE time).

Last edited:
What? I thought that was only when bought at the same time? Now I'm confused.

Wait...when you do a price adjustment...you scan the receipt, hit price adjustment and then enter the dpci....and it will tell you if there is a lower price to be had...it doesn't give you an option for another store. So you'd have to just adjust the price (because it will ask you) and then they will wonder later why you adjusted it. You would have to do a return on the product and then resell it as a price match, which I don't think is completely kosher.

From what I remember when doing the price adjustments it would ask for the new price (I believe) Keep in mind that I am drawing off of knowledge that I haven't used in 2 years. If it didn't allow me to do that I must have returned and resold with the ad-match function. I was taught to be pretty lenient with those sorts of things if they were within reason!

At my store, the original receipt is scanned. Then the item dpci is entered. If there's a legitimate price adjustment, the difference pops on the screen. Hit total and refund the $$. With this being said, if it seems reasonable, we do the return/re-sell dance. No big deal. Unless the guest is an ass about it in which case we invoke the "I'm sorry - your time for price adjustment has expired" or "I'm sorry - we don't do price adjustments on clearance items" or "I'm sorry - we don't price adjustments for azzclowns." Or something along those lines.

The danger with doing the "return/resell" dance without the item actually being there is if the guest has maxed out their card or their bank has - for whatever reason - dropped their limit below their current balance. Doing a return may leave you unable to charge it back to their account, even at a lower price. That's when you HAVE to hang onto the return slip until you're able to charge it back on to their account. That way if it rejects the card, you can void the return & the guest doesn't get an item for free.

We make it a practice to keep all receipts on our side of the counter until the transaction is complete. You know, so we can helpfully staple all the receipts together for the guest. Or prevent the scenario described above. ;)

If it goes on sale in the next week or the week after. You get 14 days, which means two weekly ads.

Also, you can get that price adjustment at any time within the time period that the register would allow a return on the item, as long as the price you're adjusting to was valid within that 14-day period. This means you don't have to come in for your adjustment during the week the item is on sale. Obviously it's easiest to just do it then, but if for some reason you can't, you are allowed to keep a copy of the ad and bring it in to show as proof that you were eligible for the price adjustment. The register will ask what the price should be adjusted to (and I think it also asks if the guest has brought in the ad for proof, but my memory is a little hazy on that part--I think I did it a grand total of ONE time).

While I appreciate you "bolding" everything to make sure I understood, I urge you to look up the price adjustment policy on workbench. I would tell you to try it, but I don't know if right now is the best time to test it out b/c on the whole extended period for price adjustments. The policy states if it goes on sale the same week, or the week after, we'll adjust. Sounds silly, but I'm guessing it was written to encompass our few "middle of the week" sales we run periodically.

While I appreciate you "bolding" everything to make sure I understood, I urge you to look up the price adjustment policy on workbench. I would tell you to try it, but I don't know if right now is the best time to test it out b/c on the whole extended period for price adjustments. The policy states if it goes on sale the same week, or the week after, we'll adjust. Sounds silly, but I'm guessing it was written to encompass our few "middle of the week" sales we run periodically.

Outside of the holiday price match, this would be it. And you have the 90 days to come in and get the adjustment if it went on sale the same week or the following week.

The policy sounded something like: If you buy an item at Target and it goes on sale the same week or the week following, you can return with your receipt (you don’t need to bring the product) and you will get back the difference in price between the price you paid and the sale price.

An old thread on the 'net shows Guest Relations would normally reply to angry guest messages with something like:

"Target is a trend retailer that wants to provide the latest merchandise
at the lowest possible price. We're able to make adjustments on sale
merchandise if we advertise a lower price either the same week or the
week following your Target purchase.

In order to receive this service, please take your original Target
sales receipt to your local Target store for an adjustment to reflect the
new Target price. We're not able to make adjustments on clearance
merchandise.

[...]

Some guests may not be able to return to the store during the same week
or the week following their purchase. In cases such as this, store
team members may make adjustments within 90 days of purchase, provided
guests have:
A copy of the ad to show the item went on sale the same week or the
week following their purchase. and a valid receipt."

Whatever you say, bud. Outside the weird holiday policies, the time frame was always 14 days. I spent more than enough time at the service desk in my decade at Target to know that. Kinda hard to check Workbench since I don't work there anymore, though.

Whatever you say, bud. Outside the weird holiday policies, the time frame was always 14 days. I spent more than enough time at the service desk in my decade at Target to know that. Kinda hard to check Workbench since I don't work there anymore, though.

Wow. Bud? ok. Sorry. I don't keep up with your employment history. My 9 years at Target, 8 of which have been at Guest Service, 4 as a GSA, 2 years as a TL, and 1 of those years as GSTL have taught me differently than what you are saying. However, like many things, I'm sure, things have changed since you left. The price adjustment policy being one of them, apparently. I never argued that the price adjustment policy was not 14 days when you worked there. I have no clue when you worked there. Alright Buddy?

Ptl has been away from spot for awhile...please allow him a break.. Best practice does change every day, in some stores.

Outside of the holiday price match, this would be it. And you have the 90 days to come in and get the adjustment if it went on sale the same week or the following week.

The policy sounded something like: If you buy an item at Target and it goes on sale the same week or the week following, you can return with your receipt (you don’t need to bring the product) and you will get back the difference in price between the price you paid and the sale price.

An old thread on the 'net shows Guest Relations would normally reply to angry guest messages with something like:

"Target is a trend retailer that wants to provide the latest merchandise
at the lowest possible price. We're able to make adjustments on sale
merchandise if we advertise a lower price either the same week or the
week following your Target purchase.

In order to receive this service, please take your original Target
sales receipt to your local Target store for an adjustment to reflect the
new Target price. We're not able to make adjustments on clearance
merchandise.

[...]

Some guests may not be able to return to the store during the same week
or the week following their purchase. In cases such as this, store
team members may make adjustments within 90 days of purchase, provided
guests have:
A copy of the ad to show the item went on sale the same week or the
week following their purchase. and a valid receipt."

Except in electronics....30 days.

In our store the price adjustment for items that go on sale after purchase is pretty much regulated by our GS registers. If you go to do a price adjustment and the time is too long the computer tells us the date that the receipt must have to be accepted.

We also do not do price adjustments for clearance items or for prices from another Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back