Archived What's the longest time period a vacation should be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've discussed with my family and we are planning a vacation to visit my home country in March of next year. I'm not really sure how long the vacation will be, but I'd imagine it would be at least two weeks, maybe a month or so. How should I go about requesting this vacation? I know that you should make time off requests as early as possible, but I'm wondering if I should use vacation time for part of the vacation or ask for unpaid time-off. I haven't had a chance to check how many hours of sick time/vacation hours I've accumulated yet.

I'm also curious if you've seen anyone in your store go on vacation for such a long time. I'm concerned that any vacation longer than a week won't be approved because so many team members have quit recently. Would talking to HR about this now be beneficial or would they forget about it because they have so many things to worry about?

You are correct about ASAP - notice is appreciated and can be worked around. I’ve seen a few tm go far away and take a month at a time.
Tricky to NOT approve someone’s vacation. If they want to take it, they could just call out.
Can not use sick time to go on vacation. Hence I have forfeited 80 hours PTO at the end of every year.
Max consecutive “vacation “ time is 10 days in a row but an understanding ETL/HR/SD could work with you for a 10 day vacay, a day you are ‘available to work’ BUT NOT scheduled and then a ten day vacation.
Most tm taking longer than 10 days are required to take a LOA for the extended time. Students take 3/4 month LOA’s in spring/fall. Problem with that is it is difficult to get on the schedule again. Many times a tm comes back and THEN is put on the schedule for 2 weeks later because all hours have been used for the schedules made.

Personally, after 4 nights I want to get home to my own bed/house. I don’t enjoy the last few days of a week long vacation. Would NEVER go away for longer.
But, could just be me.

Taking a month off in March shouldn’t be any problem, that’s a very slow time typically. Talk to HR and your Leader soon, that way they can pencil it in to the books. You could take an official LOA or HR can just keep you off the schedule for the few weeks you’re gone, that way it’s easier to put you back on the schedule.

You are correct about ASAP - notice is appreciated and can be worked around. I’ve seen a few tm go far away and take a month at a time.
Tricky to NOT approve someone’s vacation. If they want to take it, they could just call out.
Can not use sick time to go on vacation. Hence I have forfeited 80 hours PTO at the end of every year.
Max consecutive “vacation “ time is 10 days in a row but an understanding ETL/HR/SD could work with you for a 10 day vacay, a day you are ‘available to work’ BUT NOT scheduled and then a ten day vacation.
Most tm taking longer than 10 days are required to take a LOA for the extended time. Students take 3/4 month LOA’s in spring/fall. Problem with that is it is difficult to get on the schedule again. Many times a tm comes back and THEN is put on the schedule for 2 weeks later because all hours have been used for the schedules made.

Personally, after 4 nights I want to get home to my own bed/house. I don’t enjoy the last few days of a week long vacation. Would NEVER go away for longer.
But, could just be me.
The only issue with calling out is that I'll be in another country and it would be quite the hassle to get in touch with HR. I also figured a LOA was an option since it will be a long period of time off.
I will definitely talk to HR about it as soon as I check my vacation hours available and check in with them. I would like to give them a definite date that I will be back so they can put me back on the schedule right after I come back.

The only issue with calling out is that I'll be in another country and it would be quite the hassle to get in touch with HR. I also figured a LOA was an option since it will be a long period of time off.
I will definitely talk to HR about it as soon as I check my vacation hours available and check in with them. I would like to give them a definite date that I will be back so they can put me back on the schedule right after I come back.
You cannot use PTO while on LOA. You can break it up and take vacation first with the payout, and an LOA after to wrap up your remaining vacation. But maybe taking the LOA first would be better, that way when they’re writing the schedule you’ll populate on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back