Archived When to call GSA/GSTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night we were hit with a significant amount of fraud in which we were hit with false traveller's checks (myself included :scare:) and an abnormally high number of price changes in a short amount of time. After the store closed last night our LOD called everyone over who had been on a register during the closing shift. She explained to us about how we need to call the GSTL every time there is a WIC or Traveller's check transaction (which I had done because I am unfamiliar with traveller's checks - last night was the first time someone paid with those while I was on a register), and how if there is more than one price change needed we also need to call the GSTL.

How does it work at your stores? I do WIC transactions all the time without needing to call anyone up (except if there is a non-WIC item in the purchase) and it always seems like they are running around and busy making guests wait. It's like there is no need to call them up all the time unless it's something that needs immediate attention.

Uh, if you are doing your job properly, recognizing fraud should be second nature....

Wic isn't fraud typically.
Trav checks are usually fraud, we almost never got them. Scrutinize them carefully.
Price changes are not a big deal if they are small REASONABLE amounts.... Also if you price inquiry the item, and the lowest selling price is the same as their challenge, it is usually an old sign left up. Call your gstl over for large amounts (per best practice)

If anything ever appears off, call your gstl over.

We had a guest who used to head for our newbs & would challenge EVERY item for small amts.
She'd figured out the % that would keep the cashier from calling anyone over but the GSTLs/GSAs caught on pretty quick. They pulled up a copy of one of her trans & tallied the total $$ she was knocking off. When they started contesting her 'challenges', she moved on to another store.

A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

We got hit for multiple thousands of dollars in credit card fraud because someone thought it was just splendid how they were going to help the store meet our sales goals in two transactions. The naivety was astounding.

my store doesn't do WIC. I've only dealt with legit travelers checks twice - both times by tourists from japan and UK. You have to make sure they sign them in front of you or something like that.

If someone presents a traveler's check, it should have one signature on it already & the guest is supposed to sign the other in front of you ("counter signing").
If they are using more than one check (ex: 4 $20 checks for a $70 purchase), each check is tendered & imprinted separately with any change given out after the final check (traveler's checks are the ONLY checks we give change back from).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back