Archived Which is harder to use? Wave or crown...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just learned the wave and at first I sucked, but now I'm getting a lot better. Would you say the crown is easier or harder to use?

Crown is harder in that you can cause serious injury/death much more easily. In my years at Target, we had a couple "near misses"..... whole pallets coming down from the top of the steel and almost landed on someone.

I'm not certified on the Crown, but I find the WAVE pretty easy to use... I imagine the Crown is a pain in the ass to use compared to the WAVE/ more dangerous.

Personal grievance here: It's called a Stacker. Crown is the manufacturer, they make both the Stacker and the Wave equipment.

:D

Crown...... I took a bath the other day when a pallet of water fell from the steel and landed literally at my feet!

Crown....just ask the 60" TV that almost took a dive from the top of the steel......

Wave hardest to learn initially, but it is actually pretty easy once you get used to it.

The Crown is the easiest learn, but the most tricky to operate. Basically you have to know how to stack pallets on top of each other. And when you are stacking pallets on the top tiers, you have to turn it just right to get into a tight space while being conscience of the surrounding lighting/cameras. And make sure you push the pallet far enough in and then retract without bringing the whole pallet down on you.

Having to maneuver ratty hanger boxes then place it on the top tier. Its tricky.

Last edited:
Crown is harder in that you can cause serious injury/death much more easily. In my years at Target, we had a couple "near misses"..... whole pallets coming down from the top of the steel and almost landed on someone.

I'd say crown you're more likely to injure/kill someone else and wave you're more likely to kill/injure yourself.

Definitely the Crown--but "difficult to use" and "dangerous" don't necessarily go hand in hand. Even if you find the Crown super easy to use, it can still be dangerous. We once had a team member pull some boxes off of a pallet using the Wave, and he left the remaining boxes stacked somewhat precariously--but from the ground, you couldn't tell. So when the next team member came along with the Crown to pull the whole pallet, as soon as he lifted it (properly, safely, etc.--he was very good with the Crown), a box fell off and came directly toward his head. He stepped out of the way, and instead of hitting him, it hit one of the valves on a fire sprinkler riser, busting it off completely and flooding the backroom. Nothing he could or should have done differently.

The stacker, for sure. I was certified but I always made one of the more experienced backroom
TMs use it.

The wave, I was a pro. I loved that thing and I got over my fear of heights real fast.

Personal grievance here: It's called a Stacker. Crown is the manufacturer, they make both the Stacker and the Wave equipment.

:D

I see your grievance and raise you one. The "stacker" label used to annoy me. It's called a forklift. Target is the only place I've ever worked where anyone called a forklift anything other than a "forklift," and I've worked at a couple other places that used either walk-behind forklifts or rider-style forklifts. The units used by Target stores are walk-behind forklifts. "Stacker" sounds like something one of the fresh-out-of-college ETL princesses would call it.

Sorry, rant over.

I find them both easy,while the forklift has the most potential for danger we had a tm knock down an aisle in the stockroom when he rammed one of the uprights hard with the wave,there was no hiding that mistake.

The sketchiest thing about the Wave in terms of difficulty is getting the hang of turning while going in reverse. But that doesn't take long to master.

With the other one, it just boggles my mind how overnight must be using it. I try to get pallets down that they put up, and I wonder how in the holy f*** they got it up there in the first place. It should be so simple to put stuff up in the steel, yet I somehow always find myself needing to straddle a green upright, run over the bolts in the ground on the green uprights, UNstack the pallet partially with the Wave first because it's going to hit pipes otherwise, stabilize the pallet while it's still on the steel because even one single millimeter of movement makes half of it fall over, etc. I wish I could watch them use it. It must be a sight to behold.

I've been with Target for over two years now, and I just learned how to use a pallet jack a few weeks ago. Then again, when would a cashier use a pallet jack?

A pallet of bags from back room to front end, after we close or before we open. Is when a cashier use it.

The sketchiest thing about the Wave in terms of difficulty is getting the hang of turning while going in reverse. But that doesn't take long to master.

With the other one, it just boggles my mind how overnight must be using it. I try to get pallets down that they put up, and I wonder how in the holy f*** they got it up there in the first place. It should be so simple to put stuff up in the steel, yet I somehow always find myself needing to straddle a green upright, run over the bolts in the ground on the green uprights, UNstack the pallet partially with the Wave first because it's going to hit pipes otherwise, stabilize the pallet while it's still on the steel because even one single millimeter of movement makes half of it fall over, etc. I wish I could watch them use it. It must be a sight to behold.
Just take your time, look around 360 & you will be ready to go. Practice with crown & wave, when not busy. Learn to look for safe pallets up in steel, thank those tm's for being safe. Take down & fix any unstable pallets, that you deem unsafe. More practice for you & faster to pull the product for guests or during pulls.
Being Safe is a team effort. Make sure your team is certified.
Also, be careful around heaters & gas lines, with crown & wave.

Wave is by far the most fun. Myself and a couple other backroom employees draw some crazy looks from seasonal help while we're zoning pallets at the top of the steel. Always funny to look up and see a wave 15' in the air with the back gates open and no one in it. I'm sure our seasonal people have nightmares about what we do, some of them are too afraid to climb a ladder.

Crown/stacker/forklift is more impressive to master in my opinion. As stated previously, some of the pallets that get put up and you wonder how the heck to get them down - that's the work of a true artist and master of that machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back