Who recently quit at your store?

Another guest advocate texted me and told me she quit. She once again said she couldn't stand being around the front-end leadership and being scheduled at self-checkout even though she said she didn't want to be scheduled there.

Edit: I forgot another team member who was on leave of absence apparently quit and didn't come back because he's had enough of our ETL-SE warning him about attendance and being late by a few minutes for his shifts.

Last edited:
You had 4!? We only get 2 plus the TL
Yeah, we had four (I don't even know when our store started the closing expert position), a couple of them were previously in other departments, one was a former cart attendant, and the one that quit was new to Spot and only started before the holiday season last year. The one that used to be a cart attendant is looking to get out before the holiday season so we may be down to two closing experts before too long.

Just in my department we have lost a produce expert (was put on final due to too many late arrivals, so he just quit to go work with his sister), a frozen foods expert (he joined the Peace Corps), a dairy expert (he got called out for not cleaning up leaks in the milk racks), and a dry grocery expert (on LOA for a back injury).

We have been able to hire to replace them. There are only three of us left from when I moved over to that department from GM a few years ago.

Our ETL is also on an indefinite LOA due to performance. We have a caretaker ETL until she makes her decision whether to come back. I like the substitute, he is less about intimidation and more about development and encouragement to learn and grow.

ETA: and two GM team members were fired for being high on the job (they came in stinking of MJ) and one of them was also stealing Red Bull.

Last edited:
Just in my department we have lost a produce expert (was put on final due to too many late arrivals, so he just quit to go work with his sister), a frozen foods expert (he joined the Peace Corps), a dairy expert (he got called out for not cleaning up leaks in the milk racks), and a dry grocery expert (on LOA for a back injury).

We have been able to hire to replace them. There are only three of us left from when I moved over to that department from GM a few years ago.

Our ETL is also on an indefinite LOA due to performance. We have a caretaker ETL until she makes her decision whether to come back. I like the substitute, he is less about intimidation and more about development and encouragement to learn and grow.
HTA: and two GM team members were fired for being high on the job (they came in stinking of MJ) and one of them was also stealing Red Bull.
Dang how does your store function if that many people are gone at once

It finally became official that our ETL-GM is gone, and we have a new one already in place. I like the new guy. I saw the previous ETL yesterday while she said goodbye to someone I was talking to, and she didn't say a word to me. OK bye.

I think one of our best guest advocates who also worked at guest services quit while I was on vacation. She said she also worked for Shipt so perhaps she is focusing entirely on that until this pandemic goes away.

Might be doing the food delivery apps too. Things have kicked up there

A couple of long-time cashiers also quit (one of them worked at Target for 18 years according to ETL-HR) and unsurprisingly, two cart attendants quit within the past few weeks. We've been able to hire new cashiers and a couple of cart attendants to replace them.

A couple of long-time cashiers also quit (one of them worked at Target for 18 years according to ETL-HR) and unsurprisingly, two cart attendants quit within the past few weeks. We've been able to hire new cashiers and a couple of cart attendants to replace them.
One thing that's driven home loud and clear even more than at other places I've worked: you are replaceable.

Last edited:
One thing that's driven home loud and clear even more than at other places I've worked: you are replaceable.

It's funny. Certain TMs at my store are deemed irreplaceable. No matter how bad payroll is we are always given our hours. It's nice to be one of them most of the time. However, it's extremely difficult to get approval for time off. And, the one, I repeat one, time that I called in resulted in a major hassle.

Of course, it's not that I'm truly irreplaceable. Everyone in retail is. It's just it would be difficult for the store to find someone who could do what I do as well as I do it. It's both a blessing and a curse. I like the hours, but I wouldn't mind being one of the slackers every once in awhile.

Yes, they want you to feel like YOU are lucky to have them, not that they are lucky to have you... it keeps the power in the relationship on their side even when its not.
I mean, just look at the turnover at my store. There are like 4 or 5 team members still left in the front-end from when I started in October 2017. They've just hired new team members to replace the ones that quit/are termed/retire. It's an interesting relationship to look at, I've seen some team members slack and call off on important days like Thanksgiving or Saturdays in December, yet they were never termed. It seems like team members are almost never termed unless they do something to cause loss to the store, like theft. They usually end up quitting on their end, not termed.

Edit: I should say that I've seen seasonal team members under 90 days termed for bad attendance or hitting compliance, but most team members past their 90 days usually quit.

Last edited:
Back