Archived Why are some jobs exempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know all stores are different. So please post if things run differently at your store.

At my store, some jobs/job centers are exempt from doing work other work centers are expected to do.

I'll give 3 examples.

1) Backup cashiering. No one from flow or the backroom ever backups or gets called to backup. Even if I am in the fixture room, I'm expected to walk up. And I could pass 25 team members on the way. Even though they have walkies ... Exempt. And, even though we are told every day at huddle that it's everyone's job.

2) 4x4's. Same as above. All exempt.

3) Our pmt finished building the last two grills yesterday. He rolled them out to the floor and left them completely unsigned. No identification. Why couldn't he at least make 7x11's for them. I was busy with new releases all day. But heaven forbid I forget one sale sign. Again, it's because he's exempt. Not his job. Well damn, we can't sell them unsigned. He didn't even tell me. I didn't see them until I was throwing away my trash.

Disclaimer - I am not saying these teams/individuals don't work hard. What I'm saying is that when I hear a speech at huddle saying everyone is responsible for backups/guest service/etc. that is what it means. Everyone.

I know all stores are different. So please post if things run differently at your store.

At my store, some jobs/job centers are exempt from doing work other work centers are expected to do.

I'll give 3 examples.

1) Backup cashiering. No one from flow or the backroom ever backups or gets called to backup. Even if I am in the fixture room, I'm expected to walk up. And I could pass 25 team members on the way. Even though they have walkies ... Exempt. And, even though we are told every day st huddle that it's everyone's job.

2) 4x4's. Same as above. All exempt.

3) Our pmt finished building the last two grills yesterday. He rolled them out to the floor and left them completely unsigned. No identification. Why couldn't he at least make 7x11's for them. I was busy with new releases all day. But heaven forbid I forget one sale sign. Again, it's because he's exempt. Not his job. Well damn, we can't sell them unsigned. He didn't even tell me. I didn't see them until I was throwing away my trash.

Disclaimer - I am not saying these teams/individuals don't work hard. What I'm saying is that when I hear a speech at huddle saying everyone is responsible for backups/guest service/etc. that is what it means. Everyone.

I'm exempt because I don't have register access.

My PMT wouldn't even know where to go to print a sign. Like AP their hours come from district and not the store.

Flow and backroom never respond at my store either, but hardly any of them are actually trained on register nor speak much English.

I am a backroom tm...at my store the flow and br do the 4x4/ There may be a day every now and then that the flow team doesn't ( if the truck is huge and they ahd lots of call outs etc) but for the most part we are all doing it. Log. not backup cashiering ...I cant give you an honest answer to that. I could tell you what I think but then it would come off like I am siding with the log process. I do know that most of our flow team is not registered trained and for that matter backroom team as well. I do know that most salesfloor team members don't or wont backstock ( once again this is in my store) so I would guess if backroom had to backup cashier then salesfloor would have to "backup"" backstock...instead of just dumping it and running .

The PMT (man, I'm having a hard time getting used to that) is not responsible for any signing.
They partner with the Signing Ninja to let then know when the work is done so the display can get signed but that's the extent of their responsibility.

Most of flow aren't trained on register, they are there for a focused job and usually aren't trained for it.
Backroom are even worse in terms of working timed jobs.

Don't get me started on 4X4's.

I would totally backup.. If I had the time to. I have to complete CAFs in an hour, research in an hour (My IS team scans from 6 to 2:30 so there is ALWAYS research to pull) and I have to make sure all flexible fulfillment orders are done in an hour. On top of that, I have to do the daily audit, empty location report for 2 fill groups, backroom pull requests from the sales floor and what ever sales plans the LOD are too lazy to pull. I also have to keep the backroom 100% clean on backstock and a bale needs to be made at around 1p every day.

I literally can't afford to be tied to a checklane for 15 minutes at a time.

As for 4x4s, we have a dedicated team that does them (thats all they do) so if you worked at my store, you probably wouldn't even know what they are.

Our pmt also joined forces with the signing ninja to get them out...

...br would have to be on channel 1 to even hear backup calls. They are on 2 at my store.

...flow shares a couple walkies...most aren't register trained...but they do help with 4x4 if they are ahead.

At my store, back room isn't going for backup cashier because we're on a different channel, so we don't hear the calls to begin with. Especially between 11 and 6, we're busting our butts trying to get the CAFs done. Sometimes it's all we can do to get them done within the hour. Taking one guy from the back room can be detrimental to us finishing the CAFs on time.

As for 4x4s, we usually do those right after the morning huddle, which the opening back room TM does not attend. They are busy doing SDA/pfresh autofills/FFs that dropped overnight/backstock/research/OUTS/etc.. etc.. etc..

Now that totally makes sense.
Huzzah, a management team that knows what they are doing.

Now if we could get all the stores to do this.

Seriously. I love that time of year when inventory comes around and I get to go into full OCD mode. That's one of the few times I get to spend any sort of time focusing on one aisle/section of the store. I may not get it done fast, but please believe it will look 100% better once I've sent back all the massive overstock that the overnight flow team jammed onto the shelves.

Don't be shy to back-up the front end! Just do it!

The bosses wouldn't want me on the register. I'm too much of a grump. Besides, backroom has too much shit to pull off the shelf and stuff to clean up.

Uhm maybe because Backroom has goals to meet that have to be met...Where as sales floor doesn't.
I worked as backroom for a long time before switching to sales floor, Backroom is much harder work then sales floor is. If they took as much time to back up at the lanes as we do on the floor, the whole store would feel it. Don't ever forget that they're the ones who have to clean up after you when you can't do it yourself. (Throwing your trash, putting away your signage that you leave on the wrong side of the store, finishing your pulls, doing the backstock which is horribly unorganized and looks like shit) If they had to go to the registers too, every single one would quit. I guarantee you that.

Uhm maybe because Backroom has goals to meet that have to be met...Where as sales floor doesn't.

What? Of course sales floor has goals. They have to put out reshop, do pulls, and zone their entire area. That's not just busy work. It has to get finished.

Many of our flow and backroom just aren't cashier trained and can't back up even if they wanted to, after all it's not that hard to bumble though most transactions the registers aren't that cryptic to use. Simply put there aren't hours to get them trained anyways. That being said those who have changed work centers that are and rarely but sometimes do respond to back up, but pretty much last on the list of people they try to get to back up.

Dat's true about backroom goals. Caf pulls are timed. And you are post to get the price change batches done before you leave. FF is also timed too.

What? Of course sales floor has goals. They have to put out reshop, do pulls, and zone their entire area. That's not just busy work. It has to get finished.
Your store doesn't get dinged if pulls/reshop aren't finished or zones not finished. Don't finish cafs on time? Big problem for store. Brla screwed up is big problem for store, item merge and stuff not getting done is Also a big problem. Oh and did I mention backroom has to do their own 4x4s? If backroom gets behind you can't move people around To help. If sales floor gets behind literally any person in the store can go and help.

I work Hard Lines and sales floor in general, and I have to agree with backroom on this one. They usually have way too much shit to do, without getting to back up too. They are timed and have to be green with numbers, as well as them being on channel 2. Back up is called over channel 1.

We're not saying that other areas don't have a bunch to do.. I will personally attest to salesfloor having quite a workload but a lot of our deadlines are hard deadlines and there are serious repercussions to missing them. Yes, there is repercussions if you just let reshop roll over to the next day but at least you have a chance to catch up, the following morning, without your metrics go to shit. I have to have a chat with leadership every time a batch rolls whether or not I was there for it and AE2015 only increased the weight of replenishment scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back