Archived Why are some jobs exempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you do have a set of things to get done by the end of your shift. So you have to time yourself.
Opening backroom needs to pull all the autofills, which are not timed (I think)...but it needs to be done quickly so that salesfloor can start working them and bring the remainder to be backstocked. We need to backstock asap so that we actually have vehicles to use for the CAF pulls.

As others have pointed out, CAF pulls are very timed and need to be complete every hour or face the wrath of every exec in the building...but we also need time to backstock in between otherwise there will be no vehicles to use for the next round (you can tell BR is having a bad day if the market pull is on a flat or the Chem pull is shoved into a 3-tier).

At my store the CAFs drop from noon through 5pm, so there is zero time for the opening or mid backroom TMs to be backing up at the lanes. I don't work evenings so I'm not sure what other duties need to be done at night, but there is usually still backstock remaining to be done the next morning, so I assume the closer has just as much crap to deal with.

And don't forget the fact that most backroom and flow TMs are not register-trained. At my store, the TL is the only person in the backroom who is trained on that, and he does occasionally backup if there is no other option AND someone knows to flip over to channel 2 to ask him (eg: when everyone including the STL is on a lane and there are still lines).

In my store no flow or backroom tm's are register trained. When I interviwed one of the things I was told, was sf tm's do register backup, not flow. One of the reasons I chose flow.

My store is so understaffed, that the sole softlines person is usually playing operator while the hardlines person is in electronics. That leaves market, meat and produce to respond. Always.

My store is so understaffed, that the sole softlines person is usually playing operator while the hardlines person is in electronics. That leaves market, meat and produce to respond. Always.

Oh, our operator will either hand the phone to the GSTL or will just answer the calls while cashiering. Classy.

Sales Floor Team Member : "Backroom I need an item pulled from the back"
Backroom Team Member: "Sorry i am on a register right now, can you wait 10 minutes until I get off?"

This is why backroom does not do backup.
But Sales Floor can pull their own item now with a MyDevice. Still BR has to get their stuff done by a hard deadline like everyone else has been saying.

I totally get why some positions are not required to respond to backup. However, what is frustrating is the fact that the process teams outnumber the salesfloor and front end teams by far in my building, yet it's the salesfloor and front end teams alone that are held accountable for the vibe and cashier scores. How can we impact these scores when we aren't scheduled to be there? It just doesn't seem to compute to the leadership team. When your salesfloor is one person and a score of process teams who have increasing workloads and less and less hours to complete them, you either have to sacrifice the workload or sacrifice guest service. We're in this endless cycle of chasing our tails at this point. People are either getting coached for our plummeting vibe scores or getting coached for the workload not getting done. It's so clear to everyone but our ETL's, who just keep blaming the team and watching talented people quit right and left. It's madness.

But Sales Floor can pull their own item now with a MyDevice. Still BR has to get their stuff done by a hard deadline like everyone else has been saying.

Sales floor in my store can not seem to figure out how to pull stuff from backroom. They will actually call the backroom to check for stuff that has no backroom locations even when the HAVE a mydevice. I have had team members walk back to the backroom and show me the screen on the mydevice and ask if we have any in the back; I will then point to the screen that says "none in stockroom", then they ask "so we don't have any back here?"

If you knew some of the salesfloor that worked in my store, you probably wouldn't want them pulling things from locations anyway. I had to print the detail report for my TV steel the other day because I thought the electronics TM walked all the way back and just took the TV without subtracting it.

Most Flow TMs are not register trained. No register training = NO access to register.

If you knew some of the salesfloor that worked in my store, you probably wouldn't want them pulling things from locations anyway. I had to print the detail report for my TV steel the other day because I thought the electronics TM walked all the way back and just took the TV without subtracting it.

This happened at our store too, to we actually had the target mobile person come back and grab TVs for the electronics team member without even considering subtracting it. This was going on for like a week before one of us caught him and was like wtf.

^This is why I locu my elec steel every week or two. Besides condensing, the counts are nearly always off. Hell, that's why I locu entire sections/shelves.

Elec tm is pulling batches for new releases, "Hey, do you know where this location is?"
I look at it, never seen that location before. "No, write it down and I'll check it on the computer to see what's in it so I can find it."
Elec tm "I don't have time, I'll just print a label and m-delete it."

Re flow not backing up: I don't think anyone on our flow team is register trained. We don't exactly have the time to back up either. Unload a 2500 piece trailer in under an hour, stock ~2000 cases, push autofills and left over cafs, zone and scan outs in HBA, Market, Chem and Pets, all while helping guests during a 4 hour shift.

We opened without a cashier a couple weeks ago, had 4 guests waiting at 8:05. Had I been register trained I would have hopped on in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Sales Floor Team Member : "Backroom I need an item pulled from the back"
Backroom Team Member: "Sorry i am on a register right now, can you wait 10 minutes until I get off?"

This is why backroom does not do backup.

Unfortunately, this happens at my store whenever backroom goes on lunch, because most of the time there's only one opener and one closer scheduled.

@SFSFun I totally agree that backroom has to work with much more of a sense of urgency because they actually are being timed. My original point was that I disagree that the sales floor doesn't have goals (which is what one of the posters said).
Between backroom and sales floor, the sales floor has more time to get on the registers. But it does make it incredibly difficult to actually finish your zone and reshop. And even when your goals roll over into the next day, there are still consequences for not finishing. It means someone else has to take time out of their shift to do your work. There have been times where I spent so long on the registers that I didn't finish my area, and it resulted in a coaching from my ETLs.
Really, neither of us should be getting on the registers. Not when the sales floor is so understaffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back