Archived Why are you still with spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I somewhat enjoy my job.
Same here. I'd be gone otherwise. I work with cool TM and outstanding "bosses." The pay sucks, but I knew that coming in.

It's a very easy job, for the most part. All my other jobs were intense.

This stuff, I can relax...

twig.jpg

What industry are you trying to get into?
My degree is in media production (video, audio, photography). People are quick to offer unpaid internships but as soon as I suggest even minimum wage offers get rescinded.

All the temp agencies see I have 15 years of retail under my belt and decide that call centers are right for me.

I'm in college so the "flexible schedule" (lol); and i know the ins-and-outs of target so well at this point that I can handle the pressures and still do well in school.

Unless something huge happens, i can stick out target for 2 more years before finding a career.

My degree is in media production (video, audio, photography). People are quick to offer unpaid internships but as soon as I suggest even minimum wage offers get rescinded.

All the temp agencies see I have 15 years of retail under my belt and decide that call centers are right for me.
See, I have an IT degree and certifications, and I get the same offers. So I had to fall back to retail.

See, I have an IT degree and certifications, and I get the same offers. So I had to fall back to retail.

That is exactly what happened to me. I have my degree and all of the CompTIA certifications and they have not helped me in the slightest.

Have either of you considered the military? I know, personally, how hard it is to get tech related careers. I have two college buddies who graduated with general IT degrees, and opted for the military, together. It opened doors for them they never would have been able to get into without luck. Yeah, military life isn't great, but it pays decent(if you include benefits), you have it on your resume, and with a tech background, you're going to get an easy, less risky job. Air Force and Navy both treat techies very well.

I would have done it, but because of birth defects, I cannot. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

I wish I would have stayed in the Navy.

I think...

looking for a job is a job in itself. I'm too worn out, I suck at resumes, and cover letters. And the job hunt is a sea of disappointment. I don't have enough experience for a bunch of jobs, and jobs that don't require experience don't like that I have a degree. At one point, I just omitted the whole school thing. Now, I've been out of school so long and not using it so I don't put the year I graduated (when the ba is listed as a requirement) and hope they assume I'm a recent grad.

looking for a job is a job in itself. I'm too worn out, I suck at resumes, and cover letters. And the job hunt is a sea of disappointment. I don't have enough experience for a bunch of jobs, and jobs that don't require experience don't like that I have a degree. At one point, I just omitted the whole school thing. Now, I've been out of school so long and not using it so I don't put the year I graduated (when the ba is listed as a requirement) and hope they assume I'm a recent grad.
Me to a T. I used to think I was too young, now I'm too old.

They're dangling the carrot in front of me. I won't chase it for very long though unless they let me get a bite.

I live 5 minutes from my store. They couldn't fire me if they tried. I could singlehandedly delete the entire stockroom in 5 minutes with the stuff I've learned over the 15+ years I've been here. I'm told I'm the most knowledgeable person in the store usually once a week.

That and I bone my female coworkers on occasion :D

I love my co workers, 5 minute commute, flexible hours, small amount of responsibility (not lazy, burnt out from real career)...that is it.

Honestly, I love that people really work as a team at my store. There are days where I do hate it, but most days I enjoy what I do. Also, I love the discount.

Just went through a breakup and moved out on my own for the first time in 3 years. It's my second job now (2 days a week) just to earn some extra dollars

Gotta earn cash some way, lol. That and my team members. They make my job so much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back