Hiring Why can’t my dad get a job?

Hello everyone my name is Amanda and I have some questions. So my dad used to work for Target for 27 years since he was 21 years old coming out of the Army, and two years he was laid off from the company for no particular reason other than he was making more money than his higher ups who had only being working there for a short period. His position was as a District Store Manager and he was on good terms with all of his peers. When he was laid off, he was out on medical leave with a doctor’s note and all for a knee injury he had gotten from a Team Building activity and with high blood pressure due to the constant visits he’d get daily to his store, which was a two-story mall Target. Since his lay off two years ago, he has tried to apply for multiple new jobs and has even gotten calls from other companies asking for him due to his high experience. He has gone through multiple interviews that went great and said they’d love to have him but then after a week or so, they always come back with a similar response of “Oh well we went with someone else” or “That position is no longer available” and it’s starting to become a concern being that he is 50 years old now and he has been living off of his savings and retirement money all this time. We’ve come to the conclusion that he must be on a non rehire/unhireable list. Is there anyway of this being removed? Is there anyway he can get a job again?

Age discrimination is real. Times are tough right now too. A lot of retail/businesses are hurting right now and there are probably hundreds of applications for each open management position. He might need to lower his standards as far as what type of work he would be willing to do.

I would try to get help on interviewing skills. He worked at the same company for 28 years so needs some.

However what really concerns me is this statement you made.

We’ve come to the conclusion that he must be on a non rehire/unhireable list. Is there anyway of this being removed? Is there anyway he can get a job again?

Job searches are frustrating but there are plenty of groups out there that can help.

Good luck.

Your father’s experience is getting him in the door but he is blowing it in the interviews. Here are some areas you may want to go over with him:

Physical Appearance: There are some 50 year olds who appear to be in their late 30s and others who you would swear are approaching 70 years old. This not only includes how they look but how they move, their general attitude,and how they interact with others (especially those who are younger than they are). How does your father look? Does he need to lose weight? Because of his knee injury, does he walk slowly, or with a limp? Does he walk with confidence and keep up when walking with the people at the company he is interviewing with? Would a different style of haircut help him look younger? Is there a way to minimize any gray hair he has?

Answering With The Right Answers:
As @Dream Baby posted, he needs to brush up on his interviewing skills. A great resource is your local library. Some have job centers that can offer advice and help, or point you to an organization who can help him. Because of the pandemic, most libraries aren’t at full service so that may not be an option at this time. However, most are still lending books so he could borrow books on job interviewing. Both of you should read the book then go through a mock interview with you as the interviewer. Then, at the end, give him a critique of his answers and performance based on what was written in the book.

Attitude: Again, this can be reflect in how he walks and carries himself, but is most important in the interview itself. When asked why he is no longer with Target, how does he spin his answer? Is it a negative spin or does he try to put as much positive spin as possible on it? Does his answers show his experience but not a flexibility to learn, embrace, and implement new strategies? I’m sure most of the people he is interviewing with are younger than he is, so is he answering in a condescending tone toward them or showing them proper respect?

As @Ringwraith917 said, he may have to lower his expectations. Maybe apply for and accept an assistant manager position instead of a store manager position. Also, look for positions outside of retail where his skills set would be needed, welcomed, and appreciated.

As for the non rehire/unhireable list, losing a position that high does mean they won’t take him back at Target. But, there is no universal list that all companies share. The only information an outside company will get from Target is the time your father worked there and his ending salary.

May I suggest your father himself join The Break Room? At the very least, he may find it therapeutic to vent here about his time with Spot.

I hope he finds a suitable job soon.

He wasn’t a dtl he was an Stl. He wasn’t making more money then his hire up even after 27 years with target . And was he laid off? Or force to retire?
We’ve come to the conclusion that he must be on a non rehire/unhireable list. Is there anyway of this being removed
Your dad probably has the answer for that one working for 27 years with target and having an Etl Hr right next door .
Also the details In this post sounds like someone I know .

When a friend of mine quit target As a stl she was forced to sign a document stating she could never work for Target again. She questioned it and said when she’s 70 and bored she can’t even come back as a cashier to get out of the house? And they told her no. She was only 35 when she left the company.

He's blowing the interviews. If he was on a do-not-hire list of some kind, his application wouldn't be crossing anyone's desk and he wouldn't be getting interviews. He should be able to get assistance through the VA in improving his interview skills. He's going to have trouble getting work that he's overqualified for, so if he's interviewing for hourly positions he may need to downplay or not mention the depth of his experience.

A lay-off comes with the implication of return when space is available.

You father wasn't laid off, he was separated. After 27 years at Target, I promise you he knows the difference and he knows that he wasn't laid off. He signed termination papers. He most likely isn't going to get rehired at Target ever.

As for why he isn't getting the job, I'll echo the sentiment above and say he's blowing the interview. Another big factor is most likely that wage gap is preventing him from getting the job. He very well may be more qualified than the other applicants, but with his experience he is most likely asking for a salary range that reflects that. Companies in retail are always going to choose the younger, less-expensive, college-grad over the older, more-expensive, battle-hardened vet. It's just the way it is.

He's getting interviews and call-backs so getting in the door obviously isn't a problem. He's missing one of the following things:

+ Personal connection - reach out to recruiters, go to the store he wants to work out and speak to the leadership. Doesn't need to be a long conversation but make sure they know his name, and that he's interested in working there. LinkedIn is a good place to find recruiters and also DMs for your area.

+ Brush up on interview skills (said above). Don't be a robot, he should be relating real experiences he's had. Avoid putting his experience on a pedestal. Yes it's valuable but in the grand scheme of retail it really doesn't mean shit, the job is largely "follow policy."

+ Make sure his personal appearance is modern for his age, (in-style clothing, well-dressed, short hair style, well maintained beard). Don't underestimate this one, it's important. (Also mentioned above)

+ Do some research on average starting salary for big box store management in your area and start around there with Salary. Don't get ripped off but don't scare them off either.

I wish your Father the best of luck. It's tough times out there right now, he'll find something.

Last edited:
Back