Archived Why do people care so much about what they do at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You aren't changing the world or making a difference? Oh my god you did all the scans that really matters You got 30 red cards like seriously who cares? Why do you care so much that you got a perfect zone did what you do really matter? No offense to those who for some weird reason care about their crappy target job but what you doesn't matter if it only more of you realized this

What I do does matter. I realize that I'm replaceable at Target in the grand scheme of things, but my contributions do matter to the store and the company. Without the people doing the things that you say don't matter, Target turns no profit and I have no job.

No matter what you do, do it well.

You aren't changing the world or making a difference? Oh my god you did all the scans that really matters You got 30 red cards like seriously who cares? Why do you care so much that you got a perfect zone did what you do really matter? No offense to those who for some weird reason care about their crappy target job but what you doesn't matter if it only more of you realized this

Do you do a half ass job when you cook, clean your house, mow the lawn or wash your car? A job is no different. Would you care more if you weren't in retail. I don't think so. Work ethic and self motivation will take you a long way in life.

TBH, sometimes I wish I could be one of the TMs that don't care. It's exhausting to care so much about things at work. I would finish my projects sooner if I did not try do them correctly. If I left my cardboard & trash on by the bailer, in the wrong SR or on the SF. If I didn't FIFO. If I didn't go for backups, answer calls or help bring in carts. However, for what ever reason I do care and I just can't stand to do something halfheartedly. So...I guess I will continue to care and try to do things right and clean up your messes since you can't be bothered to care about the work you're doing. You do your thing and I'll do mine.

Do you do a half ass job when you cook, clean your house, mow the lawn or wash your car? A job is no different. Would you care more if you weren't in retail. I don't think so. Work ethic and self motivation will take you a long way in life.

This this this!!! When you cook, clean your house, mow the lawn, wash your car etc. those are things you are doing for yourself. Your job, whatever it may be, shouldn't be any different. Don't think of it as what you're doing for Target(though it's fine if you want to) think about what you're doing for yourself. You got all the scans done? You are fantastic at time management. Continue to improve that skill so that it may benefit you throughout your life. You got 30 red cards? You obviously have developed incredible communication and sales skills. You got a perfect zone? You have impeccable attention to detail and organizational skills. These are all skills that can help YOU! I don't think many folks here want to be at Target forever(though it's fine if you do) and by taking your job seriously regardless of what it is you can develop the necessary skills to move on to the things you really want to do. If you half ass, well, I've met those people... Usually things don't get much better for them.

Last edited:
Look I'm not going to say you should care..that's not my place and not what is being asked.. your clearly explaining frustration about not understanding why others care.. there's different levels of work ethics people have and it doesn't mean any are lazy or work-a-holics or whatever.. I was raised how you work reflects who you are as a person and determines how others view you and I'm sure others was raised same fashion from other reply I have read..but if you don't care about that stuff that's just how you are and good for you.. its like hair color (we all got different colors but doesn't make a diff. in the big picture so not worth getting upset)

I can't not care about my work when I'm at work, but I no longer bring work home with me. I leave work stuff at work. Other than this forum which I post on more for fun and to help other people out. I don't let the stress I might have while at target affect my life outside of target.

Are you a troll?

You are, aren't you.

I actually like to do things correctly, forgive me if that makes others look like slackers. That is on them.. I will take my worth ethic with me, others will be still looking for the reason they can't pick up and move on to better things.

I think the OP still has growing up to do..

I don't mind working hard. But when people are allowed to just "coast buy" and nothing be done, it makes it hard to actually care.

We can all talk about how we were raise to work hard, and shun those who don't, but when they are able to have an easier and less stressful time at work, and make the same pay, who's the real winner?

I like to take pride in everything I do. I don't do my job well because I want a pat on the back. I do it because it makes me feel better when I step back and go darn that looks good. Even though I know it will get screwed up later on. But I know at the end of the day I did my best no matter if it as at work or home.

If OP was talking about people that announce what they just did on the walkie, I agree. It's not something I do, but not really worth starting a thread. If it's about working hard, I think we all do this since we're on a web site off the clock talking about work. I will say however that the trainer at my second job seems ready to explode at any minute over how she does everyone else's work and no one does hers. I think that's where I draw the line. I'm not gonna kill myself every day to make sure every little task is finished and if people know that I do that, they will slack off. I think that is what is going on at the other job.

Konk, I beg to differ. It's OK for us to start threads on just about anything as long as we are following the forum rules. If you aren't interested in a thread topic that's OK. All these stores seem to do things their own way. At my store the LOD expects us to keep them updated on where we are with projects and especially when we finish a project. We're not bragging, just updating the LOD.

I agree with you about the people that take everything to the extreme. I work with a girl who is always so stressed out over every little thing at work she's unbearable. If you want to kill yourself or have a stroke over getting the re-shop finished knock yourself out. Just please don't have your nervous breakdown next to me in the break room or on the sales floor. As Jenna Marbles says, "Pipe the $&@# down!" lol

Yeah I agree. I usually announce what I just finished to keep the team updated and also to annoy people. I was referring to announcing that you got an ESP. I would probably do that too if I was any good at it!

Because it stops me for grabbing a baseball bat in sporting goods aisle and hit shitheads like you in the head

I like to take pride in everything I do. I don't do my job well because I want a pat on the back. I do it because it makes me feel better when I step back and go darn that looks good. Even though I know it will get screwed up later on. But I know at the end of the day I did my best no matter if it as at work or home.
This. Although a pat on the back every once in a while would be nice :p

You should be taking pride in your work.. The physical task itself, not so much... But you should take pride in being able to complete a difficult task or lengthy tasks/routines, etc.

The way I look at it: If I do a great job fixing a broken service desk process, I'm going to take pride in that because I just solved a problem. Or, if I did an awesome job setting a big RTW adjacency or cosmetics transcend (yikes), I committed time and effort to successfully finish a project. If I'm having a rough day and am just not having it I can remind myself that my job is literally to sell toilet paper to unruly customers and that it's not worth stressing over... It's all how you look at it.

Edit**
I do see your point, though. I feel like there are a few people in every store that are in too deep. Like an instocks hag in my store who is frequently seen yelling at abandons in otherwise-vacant aisles, or our two electronics team members who treat selling TV's and camera's as if it's their civic duty and god-given talent..

If you want to complain about people working hard, you might just want to make an economic argument against it.

Look with anything you do in life always "practice how you play" thats what my coach taught me. Target isn't my future and I don't work hard cause I love it. I want to start my own business, the unlikely scenario in where I lacked proper work ethic, would result in me having the same work performance at my small business once I started it. There isn't a switch you flip and decide to become a great worker, gotta pay your dues first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back