Archived Why does the FR have Operator duties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious. I'm a relatively new SL/AA team member who is often assigned to the FR as most SL TM's in my store hate the job and, understandably, the lowest on the totem poll gets the duty.

Most just don't want to be in FR because of the operator duties since a) many of the transferred calls don't get answered by electronics, market, GS, HR, etc. and bounce back and then you are talking with someone who is now annoyed because you don't have answers to their questions and can't get someone who knows on the phone and b) putting calls on hold while begging other TM's to locate items in their department for a guest on the phone is very hit and miss. Mostly miss, especially for a new TM. I say this because I've asked on the walkie for help with no response and then another more experienced SL TM hears my repeated requests and will repeat my request because they call a colleague by name, and voila, a response is received.

I will say, in my store, walkie calls to the backroom to find items and bring them to GS for pick up goes well, although takes several minutes which is challenging when multiple calls and guests are being handled. So, why is the FR instead of Guest Services or HR or ?? doing this task?

Mind you, FR also includes greeting guests, assigning them to the FR, fetching other sizes (lol), suggesting other options, folding/hanging reshop, labeling clearance items, repack, and in my store zoning men's, clearance, and a good portion of RTW.

Since I work a lot of closings in FR, the operator duties really prevent me from zoning/reshop many SL departments as I have to sprint back to the phone when it rings (why isn't the phone cordless???).

When I applied to the SL department I was told I would be working on the floor in clothing, not answering a phone. I didn't apply to be a receptionist where I had few answers for callers and no one available to take the calls. It isn't a great experience for many callers and certainly not great for TM's. I know of new SL team members who have quit because they were always scheduled for FR and hated it.

How is this the best plan for an optimal guest and TM experience, because in my opinion, the guests aren't being served and the TM's hate the assignment. There must be a better way.

It really depends on the store. Some stores have HR or guest service as the operator.

With the focus on service now at my store we now don't have the fitting room cover the phones anymore. The other softlines tms share phone duties.

If people aren't responding you need to get the LOD involved. We have a gsa who whines for backup and gets ignored. I tell her to ask the LOD for support. Funny how quickly people respond knowing the LOD can write them up.

Btw you are barking up the wrong tree demanding that hr and guest service get the phone for you. They are plenty busy and unlike you they didn't get a 50 cent raise.

Last edited:
If people aren't responding you need to get the LOD involved. We have a gsa who whines for backup and gets ignored. I tell her to ask the LOD for support. Funny how quickly people respond when they know the LOD can write them up.

Btw you are barking up the wrong tree demanding that hr and guest service get the phone for you. They are plenty busy and unlike you they didn't get a 50 cent raise.
Oooooh that .50 cents raise changes everything.

Talk to your Team Lead about any concerns, But both Stores I've been in, In two States. And most Stores I've seen, Have Fitting Room cover Phones, HR doesn't always have hours, Service Desk has a job to do, Fitting Room is supposed to cover the Phones, Hang Z-Racks, Fold, And keep people from taking in Three Shopping Carts of Clothing with them.

In my store, GS answers 70% of the calls. Thats even with the phone ringing off the hook with SNES requests. If they can't answer then FR answers. Keep in mind they have to do returns, exchanges, red card applications, sort abandon even for SL, repackage or donate merchandise, do order pick up, talk to vendors, answer GS questions so really the job isnt any different than FR. So gonna as ASANTS.

In my store new operators are either too quiet or don't repeat the call request over and over again until someone answers. Also if no one is assigned to an area (such as HBA/CHEM on the late shift) they have a hard time getting people to actually pick up the phone unless they call people out on that shit because no one is 'obligated' to answer it.

Just get a little rough n' rowdy with the hardlines/electronics/etc TM's until they learn they can't just ignore you. Or just repeat the request enough so the LOD can be like "hey who is getting that call". Lazy ass TM's will ignore ya until you force them to pick up their slack.

Also ASANTS but FR seems like the perfect place for the operator role.

In my store we got told to forward all calls to a cordless so hardlines can answer now. It was weird at first cause they didn't know how to put calls on hold with the cordless and calls kept bouncing back. But now. Honestly, it's fine. And when the calls are all about fingerlings and costumes it's really kinda great that they have the phone and can just answer those questions right away. People obviously call for softlines too. But the majority is hardlines.

When they have a sick call or are just shorthanded on that side we take the cordless sometimes. But first option for phones is hardlines now.

It honestly made a difference. I think it's helped softlines be able finish their zones too. Cause for the longest time it felt like hardlines kept having to come over to help at the end of the night. And it's not easy to just jump in to reshop and zone softlines if you aren't over there all the time. Then everyone gets all frustrated. Like "why aren't you guys done?" Or "why did they send help that can't help?" Or "I feel like I'm going in circles, can someone tell me where this dress goes?" Lol. Hardlines still finishes on time even with the phones.

But yeah. ASANTS for sure.

One of my old STL's said that the person standing in front of you is more important than the person on the phone. GSA/GSTL or GS TM is likely always with someone already.

Okay but on topic, how are we supposed to hand count every item a guest takes in? I’m trying, but it’s a Saturday! Our APS just called to remind me but it’s busy as heck back here and I’m trying to do go backs. (ASANTS, I’m on lunch right now)

ETA: we were having a visit.

Last edited:
In my store, GS answers 70% of the calls. Thats even with the phone ringing off the hook with SNES requests. If they can't answer then FR answers. Keep in mind they have to do returns, exchanges, red card applications, sort abandon even for SL, repackage or donate merchandise, do order pick up, talk to vendors, answer GS questions so really the job isnt any different than FR. So gonna as ASANTS.
Add in photo, defectives, batteries, and covering for the GSTL.

Okay but on topic, how are we supposed to hand count every item a guest takes in? I’m trying, but it’s a Saturday! Our APS just called to remind me but it’s busy as heck back here and I’m trying to do go backs. (ASANTS, I’m on lunch right now)

Our fitting room walks the guest back there counting their items while they walk. Then writes it down on a white board

OP - Others have already told you how busy GS is. For HR, on top of needing to complete our own tasks, everybody goes to us to ask us for help with their things: in-store from everyone (all positions ranging from STL all the way to TM) and sales floor guests; out-of-store from district-level leaders, leadership from sister stores, tons of applicants, donation folks, etc. We are like LOD #2 in terms of how often people need to talk to us about something.

Then, on top of all that, you can now add FR calls (which HR also does at my store) from misc people to the list of people who we assist.

But what do I know? Obviously, GS and HR doesn't do that much since we are just paygrade 30 with no job differential... SMH, HQ.

If people aren't responding you need to get the LOD involved. We have a gsa who whines for backup and gets ignored. I tell her to ask the LOD for support. Funny how quickly people respond knowing the LOD can write them up.

I apologize if my post indicated I was demanding that someone get the phone for me. I understand it's part of my job assignment, I was just asking why.

I have discussed it with my TL who will repeat my walkie call for help when he/she is hearing pleas go unanswered. He/she had also mentioned it to the LOD because everyone in my department dislikes the assignment because of the phone. It does get better for a day or two, but the phone isn't a priority at my store, I guess. And, I know that GS is often extremely busy as I get called to the front to assist when I'm on the floor. Maybe the FR could call for backup help when you've got a half a dozen guests in rooms and three calls on hold.

I'm dreading working FR in Q4, although I wouldn't be surprised if many shifts get dropped on new hires and/or seasonal folks.

I apologize if my post indicated I was demanding that someone get the phone for me. I understand it's part of my job assignment, I was just asking why.

I have discussed it with my TL who will repeat my walkie call for help when he/she is hearing pleas go unanswered. He/she had also mentioned it to the LOD because everyone in my department dislikes the assignment because of the phone. It does get better for a day or two, but the phone isn't a priority at my store, I guess. And, I know that GS is often extremely busy as I get called to the front to assist when I'm on the floor. Maybe the FR could call for backup help when you've got a half a dozen guests in rooms and three calls on hold.

I'm dreading working FR in Q4, although I wouldn't be surprised if many shifts get dropped on new hires and/or seasonal folks.

After having a few years of FRO under my belt, I offer this advice to get your fellow TEAM members to help:

Speak in a clear, authoritative voice while on the walkie. Persistence is your friend. Don’t wait for the call to ring back. Once you say, “Domestics, you have a call on 2280,” if no one acknowledges after 30-45 seconds then say it again. Or I used to say, “Team Member in Domestics?” Then when they said, “Go for Domestics.” I’d say, “You have a call on 2280.”

If a call rang back, I would say, “Team. I need someone in <Department Name> to help me assist a guest on the phone.” Always in a clear, authoritative voice.

For fourth quarter, partner with Toys/Electronics daily to see what you have in and what you do not. The majority of the calls will be for the hot new toy/gadget that we won’t have or able to hold anyway. Make a list and post it at the FR.

And if you ever attend a huddle, recognize those TMs who help you with phone calls and remind others that they have to help you too.

After having a few years of FRO under my belt, I offer this advice to get your fellow TEAM members to help:

Speak in a clear, authoritative voice while on the walkie. Persistence is your friend. Don’t wait for the call to ring back. Once you say, “Domestics, you have a call on 2280,” if no one acknowledges after 30-45 seconds then say it again. Or I used to say, “Team Member in Domestics?” Then when they said, “Go for Domestics.” I’d say, “You have a call on 2280.”

If a call rang back, I would say, “Team. I need someone in <Department Name> to help me assist a guest on the phone.” Always in a clear, authoritative voice.

For fourth quarter, partner with Toys/Electronics daily to see what you have in and what you do not. The majority of the calls will be for the hot new toy/gadget that we won’t have or able to hold anyway. Make a list and post it at the FR.

And if you ever attend a huddle, recognize those TMs who help you with phone calls and remind others that they have to help you too.

Moral of the store guys- if no one picks up " LOD can you pick up a call for Domestics? This is the 3 time they called" Every LOD in the world will find that TM to answer for you. After the billionth time they will make sure those calls get answered.

When I started, hr answered phones in my store, but they were staffed all day back then. They moved it to fr a few years ago. New stl moved it back, but now hr is only there like half the day so we cover the gaps in their schedules and their breaks (we have 3 hr tms). FR isn't staffed all day on most days either. No one answers the phone for the last hour unless hr is closing. It's difficult af on the weekends, especially when there's no... or less hr hours. I cheat tbh. I don't walk the people to their rooms or hand count their items. On weekends, we have lines and then the last few times I worked over there on weekdays, there was 3 unsorted carts from the service desk that I had to sort through, then the stuff from the guests getting added. No one ever picks up the phone because hl is so understaffed... Or they're cashiering. I try asking questions over walkie if it seems simple enough for that. I used to walk to other areas to do stuff, but an lod came over when I was gone once and it was an issue lol. I mean, I expected that, but if TMs and etls are ignoring me on the walkie, idk my other option. I have lods who don't answer either. Or they just repeat what I said "so and so in red please get that call!" And some of them say copy and never pickup. I was on hold for 20 minutes to call out once. And the operator kept saying "she copied... "

Apparently the store closest to me only has three fricking rooms (we have ten) And never has lines. Maybe a store like that has less trouble keeping up with everything+phones.

I'm no longer a regular in the fr, but when I'm there, I try not to worry too much about what I can't get done and finish as much as I can

Last edited:
I'm no longer a regular in the fr, but when I'm there, I try not to worry too much about what I can't get done and finish as much as I can

same. My store is A volume in a big city with high crime. FR has to answer phones/do rewrap and defectives/sort reshop/and take care of mens. ASANTS but at my store the closer is absolutely not allowed to leave fitting room until 8:30 and they usually take meal at that time and the opening FR isn't allowed to leave either. So mens is supposed to be done between 8:30-close. Our men's department looks like crap most of the time and nothing seems to be changing at this point. Its pretty ridiculous so I've stopped stressing about it.

Since I work a lot of closings in FR, the operator duties really prevent me from zoning/reshop many SL departments as I have to sprint back to the phone when it rings (why isn't the phone cordless???).

Maybe you should talk to your STL about getting cordless phones... our fitting room, guest service, & electronics have 2 cordless phones each.

The only weird thing about them is at our store we normally transfer our calls to 2280, 2281, etc. but if you're parking the call while on a cordless phone you have to press 2180, 2181, etc. instead but still announce that the call is on 2280. Gets a little confusing lol o_O

We use a cordless. When the system decided to freak out and not forward calls to the cordless we simply put it on the overhead.

Lots of good advice for getting departments. I'm lucky that Electronics is really good about answering and I'm starting to get them to immediately tell me they are with a guest so I can tell the guest on the phone about the anticipated delay right away. Hardlines though....sometimes I just say "hardlines" on the walkie because they will acknowledge me, and then tell whoever answered about the call. Other times I'll just radio out there's a call but then if it comes back I'll say "the call is still holding on..." as that catches the LOD's attention.

Some stuff I'll just handle myself. I learned the basics of the return policy so I'm not driving guest services nuts and I'll talk to a department on channel 2 if it's a simple "do we have..." question.

As far as those stores who don't have softlines answering - yuck! A store nearby has guest services answering and it's a nightmare to call them. One time I called asking about a shirt and the person answering the phone said "Well, the my device says we have one, so we probably don't have it" and I had to ask to be transferred to softlines so we could, you know, actually verify that.

A lot of stores have the phones at guest services as well in town, but one I called today had theirs to electronics for some reason. I’ve never called that store before so I’m not sure if that’s normal for them.

Maybe you should talk to your STL about getting cordless phones... our fitting room, guest service, & electronics have 2 cordless phones each.

The only weird thing about them is at our store we normally transfer our calls to 2280, 2281, etc. but if you're parking the call while on a cordless phone you have to press 2180, 2181, etc. instead but still announce that the call is on 2280. Gets a little confusing lol o_O

Interesting. My operator trainer told me to always park on 218# and answer on 228# for the phones with the cord. None of them know how to transfer via cordless so they couldn't teach me. I wonder if all Target stores use the same type of cordless phone. If so, I could really use your advice on the cordless. What buttons do you press to transfer or place on hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back