Why take break in the breakroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it has been addressed to me by a jerk of a team member that certain factions of the team think I am a snob who knows everything. I don't care much about what people think, but I really wish I could have a break from the flow team during break. Certain individuals manage to find places throughout the store to hide so that they can enjoy things in peace. The Head ETL in charge always tells us to stay in the breakroom because it's a safety hazard. I'm sorry, but the safety hazard sometimes is the very team itself.

There are three conversation that our team designates as being good for the shift:

Sex
Sports
Ratchet

Anything nerdy, anything hipster/NPRish is banned.

A few of us that I am cool with talk about nerdy stuff, but it's clear the break room doesn't wanna hear that.

Starting tonight, I will take a break upstairs in the HR room rather than in the Break Room. I need a break from the team.

I can imagine how annoying it can be for someone who works overnight. I'm sure the issue isn't so much safety as the potential for theft, although I think it would be easier to harass someone if you could corner them outside of the break room during a break. Typical CYA preventative measures.

As a dayside TM, I prefer the breakroom because it's rarely full when I take my breaks and I don't have to worry about getting jumped by guests if I choose to stay in the store. Furthermore, I can actually have engaging conversation with some of the people I work with.

I hope you enjoy your quiet break in the HR room. :D

Technically, you can take your 15 anywhere in the store or on store property except for work areas or in areas distracting to other TMs. Which means the Smoker benches. You can walk out to your car and take your break there. You can shop on the floor. You cannot walk to the backroom. You can't sit down at a office desk or hangout at service desk. If it appears you are working, then it can get you in trouble.

If anything, just take a iPod/cell phone in and wear ear buds to drown the annoying TMs out.

I tend to be aggressively nerdy and political.
So it was easy for me to avoid sports (which generally bores me to tears), sex (which I tread carefully on the subject of) and seriously I don't use negative terms about woman and people know not to do it around me.
It meant that the flow team thought I was weird at first but after a while they got used to me and there was respect.

So it has been addressed to me by a jerk of a team member that certain factions of the team think I am a snob who knows everything. I don't care much about what people think, but I really wish I could have a break from the flow team during break. Certain individuals manage to find places throughout the store to hide so that they can enjoy things in peace. The Head ETL in charge always tells us to stay in the breakroom because it's a safety hazard. I'm sorry, but the safety hazard sometimes is the very team itself.

There are three conversation that our team designates as being good for the shift:

Sex
Sports
Ratchet

Anything nerdy, anything hipster/NPRish is banned.

A few of us that I am cool with talk about nerdy stuff, but it's clear the break room doesn't wanna hear that.

Starting tonight, I will take a break upstairs in the HR room rather than in the Break Room. I need a break from the team.

Oh seriously stop being such a whiney prude. I can tell why they don't like you, you seem uptight and paranoid.

Like others said, listen to music or something. If its your meal break you can leave the building.

if it's overnight flow, we are not allowed out of the building till our shift is over, the doors are locked and armed otherwise

Oh seriously stop being such a whiney prude. I can tell why they don't like you, you seem uptight and paranoid.

Really?

If the general idea is that I am uptight and paranoid, then I have questions:

If I am uptight and paranoid, why do you ask me about how I go to the bathroom when it's none of your business?
If I am uptight and paranoid, why do you ask me about whether I had a menagerie a trois?
If I am uptight and paranoid, why do you ask me to help you with a smartphone you purchased without any single interest in how the damn thing works?
If I am uptight and paranoid, why do you ask me to go into isles you don't wanna go into?
If I am uptight and paranoid, why do you want to take a day away from me?
If I am uptight and paranoid, why the hell do you make any contact at all?

Answer that me that since your perception is that these kinds of things are acceptable.

(Sorry, but I have a problem with people who find that kind of thing acceptable and that's not paranoia. That is my store. That is what my store does on the regular and why most don't wanna go overnight.)

The first two could be harassment. The second could be sexual harassment. The third just sounds like they're asking for your help/advice (normal/reasonable). The fourth just sounds like a lazy tm possibly joking (normal/reasonable). The fifth sounds like they are just trying to get extra hours (annoying, but normal/reasonable). The last could just be that the person "likes" you or is just trying to make conversation with another human being in the same room that they see not talking to anyone. Some people try to include everyone.

If all these are coming from the same person, then I could see why you'd be annoyed. If this is a random collection of team members, over half of your examples seem like normal human interaction.

Report the first two if you feel harassed. You should never have to feel harassed in your workplace. That's your right.

I find it kind of hard to believe that you can't get along with anyone. It sounds like they just want to include you.

I really can't find much wrong with your examples, with the exception of the sexual remarks. Depending on the context of what they're talking about, yeah that could be inappropriate. It is your right if you feel sexually harassed that you can report it. However, I think a little bit of sexual banter never hurt anyone provided everyone is on the same page, and it isn't hurting another person.

The fact you want to go eat in the HR office by yourself makes you come off as a bit of a loner.

What is ratchet and what is NPR? Like the pop stars? public radio?
They are talking to you for a variety of reasons. One is to include you, to try and get to know you some. Another is to have a laugh, either with you or at your expense. You sound like the type of person who doesn't socialize very well. Realize that they do not share your interests, they are making an effort to include you in theirs. It will make your breaks much more enjoyable if you stop resisting and being stand-offish.

and wtf, hipster?
tldr - stop being a ****ing nerd and try to get along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back