Archived Will I be fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hired as seasonal a little over a month ago. I'm a cashier and do guest services. 40 hrs a week.

This week I had terrible cramps on Monday and I could not go in. I called and they said I was fine.

Today I had diareah and could not go in. I called and talked to the head HR lady. She asked why I couldn't come in I said stomach bug and she said "ok well I'd like to let you know you are still under your 90 days probation period and attendance is high priority" or something like that and then asked if I would still like to call out. I said yes and she said ok bye.

Twice in one week has me nervous I'm gettin canned next time I go in.

It is the busiest time though so I dono. I'm a good friendly worker I just suck at red cards.

What do you think?

Next time you're ill, go in sick & either barf all over a register or have a huge bout of diarrhea on a check lane.
They'll never question you again & the store will find out who all has taken their biohazard training.
Win-win.
j/k

Even better, try not to do that and soldier through...

Alot depends on your stores situation too. If no call no shows are more prevalent and your store is in need of cashiers they may accept the fact that you were sick. Has a lot to do with very miniscule things. Unfortunately the only person who can tell you if your going to be fired is your STL or ETLs.

When she said that comment "Are you sure you still want to call out" I would have said okay I will come in.. Once you get there I would do diareah all over the ground at guest service. They can't question you because you told them you are sick.

Coming in sick or really under the weather is a good method of being told, JUST GO HOME.

You can always say its contagious (flu, strep crud) , food poisoning, or sudden onset explosive diarrhea if you can't make it in. It will rarely be argued with.

Tough call, depends on what the team thinks of you. But people get sick and most leaders should realize that. Calling off a few days in a row is better than calling out 1 day a week for a few weeks - at least for me since being sick - it would make sense to miss a period of time rather than sporadic call-outs.

Someone mentioned claiming "food poisoning". Don't do that. It's a big joke amongst leadership at our store when people call in and claim food poisoning... it pisses the ETL-HR off to no end. We are in a college town, so the person calling in probably doesn't mean "food" poisoning. Alcohol poisoning maybe ;)

Someone mentioned claiming "food poisoning". Don't do that. It's a big joke amongst leadership at our store when people call in and claim food poisoning... it pisses the ETL-HR off to no end. We are in a college town, so the person calling in probably doesn't mean "food" poisoning. Alcohol poisoning maybe ;)
Just go to work and shit your pants mid shift they'll never doubt you again.

I have always found it oddly amusing when a etl. or hr etl has the nerve to act insulted when you call in sick....when you call and say I am not going to be coming into today for xxxx reason...then they have the nerve to say Well, we were counting on you. Your fellow team members were counting on you. Really? You didn't seem to count on me the week before when you cut the hell out of my hours.....

Whenever our previous ETL-HR was LOD, she would tell TMs calling in how much they were "disappointing" her and fellow team members, how their call-in would be counted as a "strike against your record" and then she would ask if they were under their 90 days. If you responded yes, you got another earful about how calling-in affects you much more when under 90 days and that you need to be careful because you are disappointing the team. So glad that vile woman is gone.

My viewpoint is , if I am calling out sick. I am calling to let them know that I wont be there....not to call and ask them for permission etc. However, they don't see it that way....and at most I may called out sick once every couple of years

Question. My Mom has an urgent CAT scan scheduled for tomorrow AM, they called us this afternoon to let us know and is unable to drive herself. When I call out should I be "honest" OR just "sick" ? How does SPOT look upon a situation like this ?

Next time you're ill, go in sick & either barf all over a register or have a huge bout of diarrhea on a check lane.
They'll never question you again & the store will find out who all has taken their biohazard training.
Win-win.
j/k
Had a cashier do this all over the side of the register next to hers. But at least she turned away from the guest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back