Archived Will I survive my 90 day evaluation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B26

I am about 50 days into my time with Target.

Recently, I have become worried that they will not keep me past my 90 days. Although I am always very friendly and have a pretty good average speed score (about a 94-95) I have only 4 or 5 REDcards and my store stresses them like crazy and a lot of workers there average 1-2 per day while I am averaging about 1 per week.

Almost every day when I start my GSTL's will be like "We need you tog et some redcards today" or something along those lines.

I've continued to be as fast and mistake free as possible and am pushing hard with the REDcard's but with no luck.

Do you think I will stick around much longer? I do love working at Target and I really hope so.

If you are asking nearly every guest (say everyone who buys more than $10 worth of stuff, speaks English and isn't on their phone), then I would say they it shouldn't be an issue. But that's only my best guess.

Hey Bolts26-

Just do your best with Redcards. If your GSTL or GSA or an LOD hears you asking guests for redcards, then at least they know that you are trying.
Also, as long as your speed score is high, you show-up for work, have a good attitude and try your best then I wouldn't worry. I think that you'll be fine.

across the board, Target is pushing everyone to get REDcards....so, it isn't just you.

One of our store REDcard goals is to get one card every shift....sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Just do your best.

Every once in awhile we'll have a cashier get 3 or 4 cards in just a few hours....and other times they don't. Mostly it has to do with how responsive the guests are.

At our store they're really having us push the Debit card. That seems to help a bit.......no credit check, no interest, 5% off, free shipping, TCOE......tell the guest as much as you can about the REDcard and hopefully they'll respond.

One thing that I've found helpful is giving guests the small brochure that gives the features of the REDcard and writing my name on the front and telling them to "think about it." (getting a card).

One final thought.....don't push the guest to get a card...if they aren't sure then let them know that they can sign up on another day.

sorry....didn't mean to write so much!!

good luck!

Thanks to everyone, especially pellinore, made me feel a lot better.

I think I just need to start presenting the REDcard in a new way. Being a laid bck and not "pushy" guy I will normally just ask "Have you heard about our Target REDcard?"-- most just say no before I can explain.

It suggested to say redcard only. We had some cashiers saying "would you like to get a target card?", guest says "no" real quick. Don't forget to ask about esp's too.

Last edited:
If you haven't had any formal coachings during your 90day I'm sure your ETL-HR will have a hard time letting your team lead let you go. Even though technically within the first 90 you can be let go at any time it is your team leads responsibility to both you and the store to have those coaching conversations in order to make sure you are aware of any issues and ways for you to fix them.

Is it safe to assume that if they are giving me a general cross-training plan for the next couple of weeks and have me scheduled past my 90 day mark (even though it's in the middle of the week) that I am safe as long as I don't screw up the next week?

If your TL is doing what they are supposed to be doing, they should know by day 60 if they are going to be keeping you. They are required to do the 90 day review and let you go BEFORE the 90 day mark hits. Once you have been at the company for 91 days you have made it past your 90 day "trial period." If you haven't had any formal coachings you should be fine. That is assuming that your store leadership is staying on top of development, coaching, etc...

I never got my 90 day review. They just kept giving me hours. The fact that you're getting scheduled past your 90 day mark and giving you a cross-training plan means you're fine, as far as I'm concerned. They wouldn't do that if they were going to cut you loose.
Granted, it's always nice to have the review so you can discuss your wins and your opportunities, so make sure they give it to you.

Just show up to every shift with a good attitude and you're most likely in. Being kept on as a cashier is extremely easy as long as youre not hired in seasonal (at that point its up in the air, depends on store needs).

I never got my 90 day review. They just kept giving me hours.

Same here, except my GSTL told me I was staying and gave me a letter from the ETL-HR stating I had been hired on (I was originally seasonal). I didn't get a review until my annual review in the spring.

Some tips that I give my cashier:
Ask everyone the people you don't ask are neither a yes or a no just a missed opportunity.
Ask this way instead ' will you be saving 5% today and everyday by using your target redcard.'
Ask that before you hit total usually by the time you hit total it's too late people have already made up their minds on how they're gonna pay.
Most importantly don't get discouraged understand a programmed no and spell it backwards and move on a no isn't a reflection on you don't get offended. Hope this helps!

Thanks, Guys!

Well, today I got 3 REDcards! :)

My managers know that I am very friendly, take my job seriously, and come in 10-20 minutes early for every shift and never call out. I think I am up to 7 or 8 RedCards in 1.5 months. I hope i get to stick around, especially when I listen to cashiers around me being rude as hell and just seem like they don't want to be there.

Thanks, Guys!

My managers know that I am very friendly, take my job seriously, and come in 10-20 minutes early for every shift and never call out. I think I am up to 7 or 8 RedCards in 1.5 months. I hope i get to stick around, especially when I listen to cashiers around me being rude as hell and just seem like they don't want to be there.

Woo hoo! Good for you! And don't worry, you'll pass your 90 day with flying colors.

Thanks, Guys!

3 in one day - that's pretty impressive. I'd say you're doing excellent, even when not compared to your peers.

Your next challenge: ESPs. :D

Most I've ever gotten was 3 in one shift, the last one being my last guest of the day ;)

If you try hard enough its definitely obtainable, 3 is really impressive regardless though.

Thanks everyone!

It was funny, I got the first two in the first 30 minutes of my shift and then the last one in the last 20 minutes of my shift.

I have this same question will I survive my 90 day probation. I'm in Softlines and asked my TL today about my work performance. They said, "I know what to do, I'm just not grasping the concept." They also have said, "I could improve my speed and pace. What did they mean by that? Will I get let go, if these things don't improve and how can I improve?

I have this same question will I survive my 90 day probation. I'm in Softlines and asked my TL today about my work performance. They said, "I know what to do, I'm just not grasping the concept." They also have said, "I could improve my speed and pace. What did they mean by that? Will I get let go, if these things don't improve and how can I improve?

Now stop defeating yourself. Read your learning plan again & ask questions to your trainer or tl. Like what am I doing wrong zoning or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back