COVID-19 Will Target stores be required to refuse service to non-face-covering guests?

Exactly. People seem to think retail stores are "public" places that they have a "right" to enter - wrong. Retail establishments are private companies that are allowing the public to enter, if you follow their rules, as long as those rules are not discriminatory against protected classes.

It's like folks who fight against seatbelt and helmet laws. You aren't born with the right to drive motorized vehicles on public roads any way you please - states allow you the privilege of driving if you pass their tests and follow their rules.

My store's policy is to have the cart wiper gently remind people that face masks are required and that's it. Though I've made it a personal rule that I'm not going to help anyone who isn't wearing a mask unless they stay six feet from me at all times. Unless I'm in the front lanes then I just try to get those people out of my lane as quickly as I possibly can.

During the past five days, we have offered masks to unmasked guests. I haven't seen an unmasked guest in a store over the past couple of days, though on rare occasions a "masked" guest or their child will lower it below their mouth, which literally defeats the entire purpose of wearing face coverings.

Back