WINTERSTORM SITUATION

Hello everyone! I’m currently in TX . No public transportation and no uber to work . My house is freezing I have no power and no water ...my pipes are frozen ... I had to call in once earlier this week due to road freezing... do I still have to show up to work with all this circumstances? I don’t want to get fired but it’s really almost impossible to work right now for me .
P.S. also my stores restrooms are closed ... how I suppose to work full shift without inability to use restroom...

Last edited:
I saw some posts on Reddit about some TMs being told to come in anyways because "wEaThEr Is nO ExCuSe". Yeah, no. That's not okay.
Also if they want you to come in anyways with no working bathrooms- report that shit. It's illegal and also an OSHA violation.

Tell them I can't get into work because public transportation isn't available and unless they can find something then shut up. Also tell them I could stink up joint if you would like.

Definitely call your store and let them know. If there are no working toilets, they have to rent some, and I doubt those companies are equipped to get them delivered quickly. You certainly aren't the only one in your situation, and those who can work can handle things at the store.

Meanwhile, is there anywhere around you that has power so you can warm up? Charge your phone? Grab some food? Good luck and stay safe.

So I know this is mostly for folks with disabilities but it might prove useful to others.

Winter storms are battering the South and the East Coast, but with storms having an especially hard impact on people in Texas, the National Center for College Students with Disabilities (NCCSD) wants to be sure students, staff, and faculty have the following resources (listed in no particular order). Some of these may be helpful for East Coast residents, as well.

We hope water and power are restored soon, and you all stay safe. If there are other ways we may be of assistance in finding higher education resources for students, faculty, and staff in the South or on the East Coast, please contact us at nccsd@ahead.org, (toll-free) at 844-730-8048 or through VideoPhone for Deaf Callers at 651-583-7499.

So I know this is mostly for folks with disabilities but it might prove useful to others.

Winter storms are battering the South and the East Coast, but with storms having an especially hard impact on people in Texas, the National Center for College Students with Disabilities (NCCSD) wants to be sure students, staff, and faculty have the following resources (listed in no particular order). Some of these may be helpful for East Coast residents, as well.

We hope water and power are restored soon, and you all stay safe. If there are other ways we may be of assistance in finding higher education resources for students, faculty, and staff in the South or on the East Coast, please contact us at nccsd@ahead.org, (toll-free) at 844-730-8048 or through VideoPhone for Deaf Callers at 651-583-7499.
Thank you so much for all this info. You be safe too 💐💐💐

I hope none of you in Texas are using Griddy.
This is fucking ridiculous.

“I paid $450 for one day. I was in shock,” Scott-Amos told The Daily Beast on Wednesday. “It made no sense because we have a gas heater, a gas fireplace, and we have been keeping the temperature around the house at 65 degrees. With that amount of money, and the labeled amount of usage Griddy said was used—we would have to be lighting up the whole neighborhood.”

The nightmare only got worse on Monday, when she realized her bill had increased by another $2,500. In comparison, Scott-Amos paid $33.93 last year for the entire month of February.

I know AOC is too popular in Texas but this is pretty damned cool.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is from New York, but the congresswoman is focusing on Texas this week after a storm left millions without power and caused widespread issues with drinking water. Ocasio-Cortez reacted to the dire situation in the state by creating a fundraiser, which as of Thursday had raised $1 million, she said.

"Team AOC is launching relief efforts for Texas starting today," Ocasio-Cortez tweet on Thursday, linking to the fundraising page. "Our first effort is a partnership w/ 5 Texas orgs getting on-the-ground relief to Texans ASAP. If you're able, please donate here - it'll split your contribution to all 5."

Edit: It's now 4 million.

Last edited:
Sadly Texas took themselves off the national grid so they wouldn't have to be under those kinds of controls.
They can charge whatever they want.
Which means for a while electricity was pretty cheap but now...
I was thinking general price gouging laws, like how gas stations can't hike up prices following a hurricane. Even if they aren't part of the national grid, wouldn't federal laws concerning business price increases during a disaster still apply?

I hope none of you in Texas are using Griddy.
This is fucking ridiculous.

“I paid $450 for one day. I was in shock,” Scott-Amos told The Daily Beast on Wednesday. “It made no sense because we have a gas heater, a gas fireplace, and we have been keeping the temperature around the house at 65 degrees. With that amount of money, and the labeled amount of usage Griddy said was used—we would have to be lighting up the whole neighborhood.”

The nightmare only got worse on Monday, when she realized her bill had increased by another $2,500. In comparison, Scott-Amos paid $33.93 last year for the entire month of February.

$450 for one day.. In comparison that was about the amount at the worst for my shitbox apartment in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles in the heat of summer running the AC all day and most of the night for two months.. DWP bills for two months at a time.. Texas is in for hell for the next long while. I hope heads are on pikes by the time this is over..

I was thinking general price gouging laws, like how gas stations can't hike up prices following a hurricane. Even if they aren't part of the national grid, wouldn't federal laws concerning business price increases during a disaster still apply?

Except you sign a contract with these companies to pay whatever the going rate is for electricity.
Which is fine when it is running full speed but when a situation like this comes up, the market becomes lets just say... fluid.
Rule of Acquisition Number 39 says: Don't tell customers more than they need to know.
Most of the people had no idea what they were getting themselves into with those contracts.

I know AOC is too popular in Texas but this is pretty damned cool.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is from New York, but the congresswoman is focusing on Texas this week after a storm left millions without power and caused widespread issues with drinking water. Ocasio-Cortez reacted to the dire situation in the state by creating a fundraiser, which as of Thursday had raised $1 million, she said.

"Team AOC is launching relief efforts for Texas starting today," Ocasio-Cortez tweet on Thursday, linking to the fundraising page. "Our first effort is a partnership w/ 5 Texas orgs getting on-the-ground relief to Texans ASAP. If you're able, please donate here - it'll split your contribution to all 5."

Edit: It's now 2 million.
Teddy-boy getting shown up by a New Yorker & a girl.....I love it :)

Tina Smith calling for probe of natural gas price gouging:

Has anyone in Texas started getting trucks again ? We haven’t had a truck since Saturday Feb 13, we might get one Monday.

Back