Archived Women of a Certain Age Being Termed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxCutter

Cut hard. Cut deep.
A disturbing trend is in progess at our store. Women who are about 50-years old, or more, are being termed or placed on final warning at a disturbing rate. Most have been with the company for at least 10-years, and the reasons they are being written up are discretionary ones (meaning, other TMs do or don't do the same things, and are not coached or written up for them). Has anyone noticed a similar trend at other locations?

I've seen reports about stores getting rid of long term employees to replace them with cheaper ones but it wasn't by gender just cost.
It could be that the more expensive TMs (and easiest to get rid of) are woman.
They are also the least likely to get together and file an age discrimination law suit.

I don't think this is Spot per se, it's often the ETLs seeing a sneaky way to cut labor costs and thinking they are geniuses for coming up with it completely ignoring the whole illegal part.

Not at my store, we have quite a few older employees (male and female) who rank as some of the best TMs in the store.

Like @commiecorvus was saying, I have heard about team members who have been with Spot for quite awhile being "targeted" . ...both male and female.

They probably have been around long enough that they were with the company when the raises were more than the raises of today.
Sure they're capped out but in some cases they're making more than the TL's.
We had a srtl in my store a year or so ago and was having a bad night. She vented to a fellow team member that for ....dollars an hour the job just wasn't worth the stress. When the fellow team member shared with me what the srtl claimed she was being paid...I was shocked. I make more than that myself by over an 1.00 an hour. I am a mere team member but have been with the company for quite some time . So, like commie is saying there are some long term team members who are making the same or more than some team leads etc

Its funny this topic popped up. On Monday I had an ETL say to me that someone was a certain age and it was time for her to go because she couldn't keep up. I just looked at her and said "you did not just say that?!"Truth be told she is not as fast, but she does quality work and is great with guests. I am really struggling with do I say something to the ETL-HR or talk directly to her with how out of line that was. Of course there is the integrity line to. I do think they are targeting people who make more $$$. Lets be honest there isn't really anywhere else to cut right now.

Its funny this topic popped up. On Monday I had an ETL say to me that someone was a certain age and it was time for her to go because she couldn't keep up. I just looked at her and said "you did not just say that?!"Truth be told she is not as fast, but she does quality work and is great with guests. I am really struggling with do I say something to the ETL-HR or talk directly to her with how out of line that was. Of course there is the integrity line to. I do think they are targeting people who make more $$$. Lets be honest there isn't really anywhere else to cut right now.
I have always found it amazing how etls, tls, srtls, etc ( some of them not all) feel as though they can just say whatever they want about whoever they want...some of the things I have overheard them say through the years is just beyond pathetic .

Nobody's getting termed at my store, but one older woman has consistently gotten passed over for a promotion she has clearly earned in favor of younger, more inexperienced TMs. The ONLY thing I can think of that makes her different than the TMs who are getting promoted is her age.

At my store there is a cashier that has been there since the store opened - more than 30 years ago. There is also a cart attendant who has a TM number that starts with 0, so even though he isn't really liked all that much he stays because of how long he has been there. I didn't see any attempt to terminate either one of them, my store's leadership wasn't that bad.

We had a srtl in my store a year or so ago and was having a bad night. She vented to a fellow team member that for ....dollars an hour the job just wasn't worth the stress. When the fellow team member shared with me what the srtl claimed she was being paid...I was shocked. I make more than that myself by over an 1.00 an hour. I am a mere team member but have been with the company for quite some time . So, like commie is saying there are some long term team members who are making the same or more than some team leads etc
I didnt even know this was possible 0_0
asants indeed, this would be a cold day in the pits of the non-cold level of hell at my store :eek:

At my store there is a cashier that has been there since the store opened - more than 30 years ago. There is also a cart attendant who has a TM number that starts with 0, so even though he isn't really liked all that much he stays because of how long he has been there. I didn't see any attempt to terminate either one of them, my store's leadership wasn't that bad.

They may have morals but I'm going to go with being a hair smarter.
Spot is more than willing to turn a blind eye if you get away with it but they will come down on you like a ton of bricks if you get caught.
It's just not worth it.
Keeping the handful of older people will cost a lot less than Spot's enmity and a Federal or State law suit.

I have three zeros in front of my number. Long time TL

We had a horrible STL push out a longtime TL because he said he could hire 2+ other TL's for the same price as her. I currently make $3 more an hour above what my TL makes but I work hard and I've been around forever. I'm currently the only tm who can handle the backroom alone on the weekends while the guys need 1 or 2 other people to keep up.

Wish I could say its not possible but if they want it they will make it happen ,if you cough they will say a guest complained you didnt cover your mouth putting them at risk...they will find away ....

I've seen older women injure themselves at work trying to reach crazy deadlines that Target pushes. I saw one older woman get her hours cut so bad she lost her insurance and had to quit. Then again I know of an older lady who has been with Target for 25+ years and is still a team member (she has chosen not to promote and I'm starting to believe it's a wise choice in today's cut throat target world).

I'm sure everyone knows of examples but it all boils down to the STL liking you or not. If she likes you, you can be a terrible employee making twice what most others make who trash talks other members and does whatever he/she can to avoid manual labor but if she likes you, you're in like Flynn. You can be the hardest worker in the store, coming in to fill shifts and delivering excellent guest service, extremely professional and a koolaid drinker but if she doesn't like you you'll never move beyond your position and chances are your reviews will suck.

Wait so how does payroll really work, then? I thought it went by hours, but from what y'all are saying it seems to go by the actual cost of each TM? So if you have 3 cashiers who have worked for 30+ years and are capped that hurts the store's budget more than 3 recently hired cashiers?

This year, spot using payroll $$ instead of payroll hours, this year. So, if you are a high dollar tm, you will get less hours.

They've had an hours cap for number of hours and number of dollars for a while. It just goes back and forth what they focus on more.

But we have had members here say there were lawyers at their store doing interviews regarding possible age discrimination. But I have no idea how that ever turned out.

A disturbing trend is in progess at our store. Women who are about 50-years old, or more, are being termed or placed on final warning at a disturbing rate. Most have been with the company for at least 10-years, and the reasons they are being written up are discretionary ones (meaning, other TMs do or don't do the same things, and are not coached or written up for them). Has anyone noticed a similar trend at other locations?
Funny you should mention this. Today I spoke with a co-worker, a "woman of a certain age", who said she had been coached for her attitude. Talk about 'out of the blue' - she is one of the most trusted, competent, likable, hard-working TMs in the store. I was shocked that anyone had a problem with anything about her.

If Target has really sunk so low as to try to term long-time TMs to save money they deserve to be the next Circuit City or K-Mart. It's stupid on so many levels, not to mention morally repugnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back