Archived Wondering if you guys can help me with second break info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! First post here. So basically my work has this board with all of our official information. when I first started I was told in order to get a second break you had to work 6.75 hours but this sheet clearly (in my eyes anyways) shows differently. Every time I have a shift like 12-6 I take a second break and others are annoyed by it. I AM reading this right though correct? Every LOD I've gone to about it has read it and said "Yeah, well I think it means 6.75 hours."

Am I crazy or is EVERYONE else? Does anyone else have this information posted near their time clock?

"When calculating the scheduled work day to determine the appropriate number of rest breaks, inclue the meal period. For example, if a team member is scheduled to work from 8am to 2pm, they would be entitled to two (2) 15-minute paid rest breaks as they are scheduled for a 6 hour shift, even though they will only work 5.25 hours assuming an unpaid 45-minute meal period."
KjLRFHf.jpg

You are correct. I went through this with my execs too. Keep taking your breaks. I printed copies of that info then highlighted the same part you did and left it on my HR and STL's desks.

Good to know. It's been over a year that I've been dealing with this. No one has gotten mad enough at me to write me up or anything, but it's annoying being treated like I'm slacking or lazy when I'm just trying to make sure I'm following the rules =\

Was starting to think I was crazy since literally everyone else disagreed with me on it. It looked plain as day to me! XD

They do that at my store all. The. Time. Then they pretend they weren't aware of the policy. Um...it's hanging above the schedule.

Hello! First post here. So basically my work has this board with all of our official information. when I first started I was told in order to get a second break you had to work 6.75 hours but this sheet clearly (in my eyes anyways) shows differently. Every time I have a shift like 12-6 I take a second break and others are annoyed by it. I AM reading this right though correct? Every LOD I've gone to about it has read it and said "Yeah, well I think it means 6.75 hours."

Am I crazy or is EVERYONE else? Does anyone else have this information posted near their time clock?

"When calculating the scheduled work day to determine the appropriate number of rest breaks, inclue the meal period. For example, if a team member is scheduled to work from 8am to 2pm, they would be entitled to two (2) 15-minute paid rest breaks as they are scheduled for a 6 hour shift, even though they will only work 5.25 hours assuming an unpaid 45-minute meal period.

If you are being harassed after a year about this it might be a good idea to bring this to the attention of the STL.

I wonder how many other TMs they are scaring into giving up their breaks? This time adds up & when people are getting a job done only because they are giving up their 15 minutes, that helps your ETL meet his/her time goals but is unacceptable.

There are laws about this kind of business practice for a reason. We are already unpaid & overworked - donating an extra 15 minutes is too much to ask.

You are correct, it just seems like a lot of breaks in such a short amount of time...basically a break for every 75 minutes of work.

But the rules are pretty clear and if they really don't want people taking a 2nd break, they could just make the shift 5.75 hours long instead of 6.

So if I am scheduled for exactly 6 hours do I get a second break? I've had multiple people telling me no it has to be OVER 6 hours not exactly but again that paper seems to say differently

You are correct, it just seems like a lot of breaks in such a short amount of time...basically a break for every 75 minutes of work.

But the rules are pretty clear and if they really don't want people taking a 2nd break, they could just make the shift 5.75 hours long instead of 6.

My store did exactly that, a lot of 5.75 hour shifts.

So if I am scheduled for exactly 6 hours do I get a second break? I've had multiple people telling me no it has to be OVER 6 hours not exactly but again that paper seems to say differently
It MIGHT depend what state you live in? I'm in California so that's the CA rules at least. Check near your timeclock for the sheet I took a picture of

It MIGHT depend what state you live in? I'm in California so that's the CA rules at least. Check near your timeclock for the sheet I took a picture of
Im in cali too the sheet looks exactly the same and yet they swear up and down I get no second break for 6 hours

Im in cali too the sheet looks exactly the same and yet they swear up and down I get no second break for 6 hours

Well I've been getting more picky about it and sent another email to my boss about it. I still go on my second breaks but a lot of people at work are too afraid to, so I basically told her she needs to talk to the team about taking their second break so it doesn't become an HR issue.

Now this has me thinking. I am in the Mid Atlantic and i just worked 3-930. I took a 15 and my half hour meal. Now i am wondering if i should have had a second 15. Will check the sheet by the time clock when i go in tomorrow.

Now this has me thinking. I am in the Mid Atlantic and i just worked 3-930. I took a 15 and my half hour meal. Now i am wondering if i should have had a second 15. Will check the sheet by the time clock when i go in tomorrow.

Good to hear! If they cause any trouble you can use the wording I do, just say "I'm heading on my second break!" and if they say you don't get one just say "You wouldn't want me to miss my second mandatory break would you? I wouldn't want to break the rules."

It works for me, like when I'm told to push 2 carts at once I always say "Nice try! I know that's against the rules, wouldn't want to be written up!" in a happy joking way. They always say something like "Good job! I was just testing you"

Classic B-)

This says entitled 45 minute meal break? What? Is this sheet old as fuck or something or because of a different state law?

@Gororules looks like this just applies to California. I'm in Illinois and you need to work over 6 hours for a second paid break.

It works for me, like when I'm told to push 2 carts at once I always say "Nice try! I know that's against the rules, wouldn't want to be written up!" in a happy joking way. They always say something like "Good job! I was just testing you"

Classic B-)
Here the maximum is 7 carts lol Our store doesn't care much for rules, we just get shit done and do work son. I never ask for a team lift and the LODs never say anything when they see me lift something very heavy. Only when the DTL is here on a visit I'm told to not lift a team lift alone :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Here the maximum is 7 carts lol Our store doesn't care much for rules, we just get shit done and do work son. I never ask for a team lift and the LODs never say anything when they see me lift something very heavy. Only when the DTL is here on a visit I'm told to not lift a team lift alone :rolleyes:
Be careful, you might hurt your back. Do the safe thing, ask for help. Spot might not pay you for missing work for not being safe.

In Maryland to get the second break it is over 7 hours. At 6, you just get one break and one unpaid 30 minute lunch. In fact at 5 hrs 45 minutes, you get a single 15 minute break and that is all and are told specifically not to schedule anyone for 6, it is either 5.75 or 6.5 or more. When you are scheduled at 7 hours at work it is always questionable as to whether you get the second 15 minute break as our sheet doesn't go into detail as to whether that includes the unpaid lunch or not. 90% of the time when scheduled for exactly 7 hrs (including lunch) they send me on the second break.

For the record I mean FULL carts =P We do our auto fills and then push the full carts to the line. They want us to push two at once. If you manage to push 7 full carts at once you're a god. haha

For the record I mean FULL carts =P We do our auto fills and then push the full carts to the line. They want us to push two at once. If you manage to push 7 full carts at once you're a god. haha
We used to have a TM who would use the rubber straps from food truck pallets to tow a bunch of full shopping carts across the store.

Just hook them up with the child chair straps and pull em like a train easily do 7 although I wouldn't do much more then that becomes troublesome doing turns. With 3 tiers we have a TM who uses paracord to pull more on the floor at once no-one says a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back