Archived Work Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All-

I have a question pertaining to our work schedules for sales floor team members. I remember from my previous work at target that a sales floor team member had the right to leave when there scheduled time is up. So if i'm scheduled from 5pm-10pm, can i leave right at 10pm without any repercussion? Last night was one hell of a night, my store was over $10,000 in sales with only 2 people in softlines and two people in hardlines closing. Our ETL asked us to stay over 1 hour and a half to keep zoning and working reshop. I felt like since they let some people home early why are they punishing the 4 team members who are scheduled to close? I would like any insight or comments about this subject.

Have a great day!

Mike

Our closing team is at the mercy of the LOD. We leave when the LOD calls it, which often is 15-30 minutes after the bulk of the team is scheduled to leave and has been, in the distant past, up to 1 1/2 hours after that scheduled time (2 hours after the lights go down). It's SOP and I have only seen a small handful of people (all different nights) leave the moment they were scheduled to leave when no one else was leaving at that time. Every once in a while a 6th hour will come up or someone will be approaching 40 hours, but that's the only time certain LOD's won't give you the stink eye. One in particular will ask you why you didn't take a lunch if you're approaching a 6th hour after the store closes.

I used to fall for this shit. If I'm not provided what I need to get my job done then when my shift is over I leave. If I stay it's because of my choosing, not because of unfinished work or a pissy ETL.

This is really a good example of how varied different stores can be. Ours is usually pretty good about letting people go when they're scheduled if they choose to leave, without repercussion. Almost all of our closing TM's stay late if asked though, just because the team culture of our night/weekend teams is so great..

We usually just stay late if they neee us to. Our closing sales floor teams are really great about wanting to leave the store looking as best as possible.. it's all about being a team player.. if you have prior obligations say so.. but if not, just stay until they call the zone for the night

Last edited:
We almost never stay late anymore, but back when we did - if you didn't stay late nothing would happen to you on a formal level, but it was strongly discouraged the etls and would probably come back to haunt you later if you're looking for hours.

We're never asked to stay late...which sort of sucks because that means there is no possibility to pad hours. If the zone looks bad, or strays aren't done, we recover the next day. Our comp has been up over 10% this past week, making every other Spot in our district look bad, so we know all about busy nights, and lack of TMs. But we still get it done either that night or the next day.

All of theses stores who have to have people stay late at closing, it sounds like you have process problems...there is no way you all should be doing this on a regular basis...if you are, the day and evening teams clearly aren't being managed/used/scheduled properly.

Our closers always stay late. We are way over payroll now so they are trying to get us out on time (typically 45 min - 1 hour after close.) we usually are there 2 hours after close. And, yes, we hate it! Clopening kills...

We used to stay late all the time when I started. 2-3 hours after close was typical on any given night. I remember nights we stayed until 2 or 3 am, usually around holidays. I remember taking second lunches after the store was closed. The store looked a lot better back then.

But we haven't done that years. For at least the past two years salesfloor has only been scheduled for 30 mins after close. Payroll accountability and the hours > 1 worked past close metric became super important, so we get shoved out the door by 45 mins after close at the latest. It shows, but now the morning salesfloor team has to pick up where the closing team left off.

I don't miss regularly getting off work after midnight one bit, but I do miss leaving the store perfectly zoned, all returns and pulls pushed, all backstock complete, and the backroom clean and swept every night. I miss being able to come in and work on salesplanners, ptm, cleaning, purging, and various other projects in the morning instead of zoning and pushing baskets of reshop in every department when I get there at 8. There's days where the salesfloor opener(s) are doing returns and zone until the cafs drop at 11. So much for getting any projects done. But that's how things are these days. Screw sales and what the store actually looks like...you just better make payroll by 50 hours to the good each month.

We're never asked to stay late...which sort of sucks because that means there is no possibility to pad hours. If the zone looks bad, or strays aren't done, we recover the next day. Our comp has been up over 10% this past week, making every other Spot in our district look bad, so we know all about busy nights, and lack of TMs. But we still get it done either that night or the next day.

All of theses stores who have to have people stay late at closing, it sounds like you have process problems...there is no way you all should be doing this on a regular basis...if you are, the day and evening teams clearly aren't being managed/used/scheduled properly.
We simply don't have enough hours to have enough people to do the job. Even when we have more people, the zone is never what I would consider good. Now with MyTime things are worse. Very few people in the morning, everyone who isn't on POGs going up for backup way too often during the day, and not enough closers to recover from the piled up returns and lack of zoning done during the day. We only ever get hours around the time we have visits. We've barely dodged the Corporate Visit bullet a couple times now, after having been hit with it once. My store is simply too big and too popular in the evenings from MyTime's scheduling bullshit.

we pretty much never stay late. There's an odd day here and there where they will ask you to stay late if we were really busy and the store looks bad but it's pretty rare. If a TM doesn't want to stay after their scheduled time no one really says anything and usually everyone stays unless they have something going on. I love my cashiers because they are always scheduled off right at close and they will always come to me to see if I have anything for them to finish before they leave.
There is one team member that we have that will try and sneak out the door right before close. He's always scheduled until at least 10:15 and i will stand by the tsc door right at 9:45 with a grid in my hand and wait for him. He always shows up, I always ask him what time he's off, he always lies and says 10, and i show him the grid and send him back to finish up abandon. I don't even get what goes through his head to keep playing this little game and when i coached him and told him this was not being a team player and now how our team works he looked at me like he was shocked he was getting talked to.

It can be defined as not being a TM player if you do not close. But there are previsions in your lesson plan that say you may be asked to work beyond your scheduled shift.

At one store, closing cashiers and cart attendants (technically scheduled to 10) stayed with the closing team. At another store, the cashiers and cart attendants are to leave ASAP. At my Super, cashiers got to leave at closing but cart attendants had to stay with the closing team.

It can be defined as not being a TM player if you do not close. But there are previsions in your lesson plan that say you may be asked to work beyond your scheduled shift.

At one store, closing cashiers and cart attendants (technically scheduled to 10) stayed with the closing team. At another store, the cashiers and cart attendants are to leave ASAP. At my Super, cashiers got to leave at closing but cart attendants had to stay with the closing team.

That's how ours works too. On the rare occasion that we do stay late the front end team will get sent out right at 10, with the exception of the GSTL.

What is a "cart attendant"......Havent seen one of those in a while haha

"Cart Attendant" - Otherwise known as a cashier or GSTL/GSA that has to go out and grab carts leaving salesfloor backing up for 30+ minute. On the rare occasion it could even be an ETL OR one of the PAs, because we ALL KNOW market is super easy and we just slack off over there and have time to grab carts too!

Im in a ulv. We leave when scheduled off. No one can add hours. No call ins are replaced. Everyone runs for the timeclock as soon as the lights shut off.

What is a "cart attendant"......Havent seen one of those in a while haha

"Cart Attendant" - Otherwise known as a cashier or GSTL/GSA that has to go out and grab carts leaving salesfloor backing up for 30+ minute. On the rare occasion it could even be an ETL OR one of the PAs, because we ALL KNOW market is super easy and we just slack off over there and have time to grab carts too!

I have never seen a more accurate description in my life. The physical act of getting carts is fine (even though I'd really prefer not to) but when we have two cashiers who need constant GSA presence, an elderly service desk who somehow manages to make the smallest tasks a huge struggle, and a food ave who stays oblivious to anything outside her empty cafe, spending 10 minutes in the parking lot getting carts might as well be the target apocalypse. Welcome to my store <3

I guess that's how things go when your GSTL is too much of a softie to do any type of performance management and can't handle leading her team.. The closest thing to a coaching that happens up front is when I do a quick "training" on why we can't leave CRC stickers laying around without attaching them, why we can't all just leave the checklanes because it slowed down for 20 seconds, and why it's completely okay to make a 50 cent price change..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back