Archived Worker group presses Target to boost hourly wage

Status
Not open for further replies.
the starting pay for cashiers is $9 an hour. Our minimum wage here it $8.25 and it's almost a dollar above, but it's still not enough

You start out above minimum wage at my store. Do I think we should get paid more? Yes, I do. But......my store really does treat us good. There's one ETL that's tough to work with, but luckily, they don't schedule me often with him. I'm not gonna run to walmart, because that place gives me a headache. The guests there are the worst. I do appreciate how often the higher ups praise us for our hard work. How generous they are in the community and concerned about making guests happy.

The while image of target, at least at mine, is a positive thing, so I'll take my crappy pay and continue to work hard.

the starting pay for cashiers is $9 an hour. Our minimum wage here it $8.25 and it's almost a dollar above, but it's still not enough

Gap between the two is much smaller here, min 8.15, starting pay 8.50, min becomes 8.50 here at the end of the year.

High turn over has nothing to do with skilled or unskilled labor. What is does have to do with is how poorly a company treats/pays employees and how good the job market is. High turn over is bad for a company. It costs money. All that paper work at store and coporate levels costs money. If you have employees leaving in big numbers it gets very expensive. Which is why stores with high turn over start letting workers get away with murder. It all leads to one big spiral of failure. Inexperience means more mistakes, more mistakes means more loss. And so it goes. Companies that like Cosco or Publix take a different approach that they can pay more, give full time hours, get workers invested with the company with stocks and bonuses and then they get in return a savings on all the costs the high turn over creates. The difference is Target has short term look at its business and other places a long term.

If Spot was to pay more then they will simply recoup their losses in other ways. Ie, less hours. Do I think Spot should pay more ? Of course I do.However, the extra money they would spend on payroll...would have to come from somewhere. I am pretty sure the CEO isn't going to take a pay cut or any of the other Corp officers to cover the "loss" to Spot. I would like Spot to commit to paying more AND treating their team members better AND being more consistent/fair with the hours . If they pay more but you get less hours....then you are no better off than you were to begin with.

Target is healthy financially (though that 4 billion loss in Canada will change things a bit). They can afford to cut there earnings a bit to raise pay. Plus, worker moral will go up, which will increase productivity which means more $$ for spot.

Has anyone noticed that most hour cuts are from hardlines, cashiers, and soctlines, where usually they sit in the lowest tier of $per hour? Electronics makes more money yet our hours have to stay steady due to someone needing to be in electronics. Same for GSA, and such. Usually mandatory filled positions are paid higher. So they cut the hours of the least paid employees in hope for those with higher pay to fill in gaps and earn their pay rate.

Has anyone noticed that most hour cuts are from hardlines, cashiers, and soctlines, where usually they sit in the lowest tier of $per hour? Electronics makes more money yet our hours have to stay steady due to someone needing to be in electronics. Same for GSA, and such. Usually mandatory filled positions are paid higher. So they cut the hours of the least paid employees in hope for those with higher pay to fill in gaps and earn their pay rate.
Couldn't agree more. These areas have also been frequently understaffed. Front end needs back up, sales floor goes up...they get behind in their work.....more work is left for the next day....they start off behind and it keeps continuing. So much for the slow season.

Lol clearly the company doesn't care about long-term success.. it's only about Quarterly profits and raising the stock price (like by buying back shares with profits) so they can cash out their stock options and pay less in taxes. What we see today isn't the wrongdoing of a few quarters or months--but YEARS upon YEARS in the making! It's all about getting rich while you're in charge then who cares what happens in the future since you'll be gone anyway lol .. sad, but that's how it works.

If retail is a skilled job then what's considered an unskilled job?

Even at $11 a person can't live too comfortablely around here. Although $11 in my hometown is average and people can live off that. Hell they can live off $9 an hour but you'll have to put that Disney trip on credit.

Minimum wage here is $7.25 and Target starts everyone at $8 and then $9 for overnight. Our neighboring county is raising their minimum wage to $11.50 then to $13 two years later.

Regardless, minimum wage will only ever be slightly above poverty. Inflation will keep the class structure sound and the rich will stay rich.

@Goingstrong and @Toram Jacob if what you say is true I will have much more faith in the new CEO than I have had till now.

This will truly show that he is meant to lead this company.
Making sure that the TMs get a decent living wage and the hours they need to support themselves is such a wonderful thing that I just can't be happier.
Or am I hoping for too much?

Is he doing it for the members or to keep up with the Joneses? I wouldn't judge his leadership based on this decision.

Is he doing it for the members or to keep up with the Joneses? I wouldn't judge his leadership based on this decision.

Unless he has like some massive change planned.

But I'm bitter about people who use the word change because of Obama who used it and nothing changed much

I make more than minimum, so while appreciate my fellow team members will make more with minimum raised, I don't see higher tiered work center pay being affected, which is a little frustrating

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back