Archived Working off the clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the TLs are in a group message. It’s a constant stream of texts. I have it on do not disturb, but I get at least 30 texts a day from it 🙄

Same situation as mine. Pics, ideas for encaps, notifications on upcoming visits etc. we even had a TL respond back, “can I go to sleep now” lol. He was furious about it and last I heard before I quit they were trying to get rid of them.

I’m a department manager (recently changed from salary to hourly) at another company and I prefer that my assistant managers text me no matter what time it is to keep me in the loop. I even give my number out to my team members if they really need me. I get that some people want “work life balance” but for me there is no such thing. I am living my life when I’m at work or not. I’d rather know that at all times things are going well with work and my personal life but maybe I’m just crazy.

For me a text message that takes 1 min to answer doesn’t distrupt my life at all. I’m usually on my phone often anyway.

I also have given my best TMs my number and they are welcome to let me know of any issues. It’s handy for making heads roll when the hardlines closing team is made to do some dumb shit like fill produce and dairy instead of zoning. Well known fact at my store that the walls have eyes and ears, and those eyes and ears belong to me 😂

Block their personal number. I totally disagree anyone texting or calling when the person is not on the clock. If the issue is so dire that only you can address it, you are not making enough money. This seems to be more and more accepted. Working off the clock can be grounds for termination. This can be overlooked until they need/want to play gotcha! Anytime they call or text do a punch correction. When HR is realizing that you are having 20-30 punch corrections in a week, it will stop. Work email is for communication. There are reasons you cannot access it from home,one of them working off the clock. Block, Block Block

If she protests the punch corrections, you can always throw out the "Not paying us for this time is illegal and I'm sure you wouldn't want us breaking the law!" line or similar at her. Target takes this shit really seriously because companies have been sued over it before and you'd absolutely have standing to file a complaint with your state and federal DOLs on it and the last thing they want is an investigation for not paying employees.

It's really fucking stupid, and golden child or not, blatantly risking lawsuits or labor violations is nothing to be trifled with.

I’m a department manager (recently changed from salary to hourly) at another company and I prefer that my assistant managers text me no matter what time it is to keep me in the loop. I even give my number out to my team members if they really need me. I get that some people want “work life balance” but for me there is no such thing. I am living my life when I’m at work or not. I’d rather know that at all times things are going well with work and my personal life but maybe I’m just crazy.
I also have given my best TMs my number and they are welcome to let me know of any issues. It’s handy for making heads roll when the hardlines closing team is made to do some dumb shit like fill produce and dairy instead of zoning. Well known fact at my store that the walls have eyes and ears, and those eyes and ears belong to me 😂

Telling people under you they can text you is 100% different than your boss('s boss) texting you constantly under entirely their own accord.

One of the hidden issues of bosses and team members texting is the favoritism aspect. I've seen this happen. One team member may text back and forth with the supervisor about work issues and then a little off the clock chatter. Pretty soon that person is seen as a "favorite". I honestly think your time away from the store belongs to you. If you are working without being paid you can be coached up to and including termination. I think it can show lack of time management skills too. Even though you may think that the team member doesn't mind, they might. You put them in an awkward situation. How do they ignore the boss without risking their job. This is Spot. Its not life and death. There is nothing (except scheduling issues) that can't wait until the team member and you are both on the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back