Archived Workmans Comp As We Know It Going By By?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
At least in southern states to start it looks like, because those are the most worker hostile and where the governments are most pliable.
I'm glad to see that Spot isn't on the list of companies that are pushing this abomination of a legislation through the states but I am sure they will jump on it as soon as it's available.
I wonder how those people who have decided that Walmart isn't 'all that bad' would feel about this
I am usually pretty tolerant but there are certain kinds of behavior that makes it clear to me that corporations do not deserve have any kind of political influence.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/03/arawc-walmart-campaign-against-workers-compensation

Nearly two dozen major corporations, including Walmart, Nordstrom, and Safeway, are bankrolling a quiet, multistate lobbying effort to make it harder for workers hurt on the job to access lost wages and medical care—the benefits collectively known as workers' compensation.

The companies have financed a lobbying group, the Association for Responsible Alternatives to Workers' Compensation (ARAWC), that has already helped write legislation in one state, Tennessee. Richard Evans, the group's executive director, told an insurance journal in November that the corporations ultimately want tochange workers' comp laws in all 50 states. Lowe's, Macy's, Kohl's, Sysco Food Services, and several insurance companies are also part of the year-old effort.

Laws mandating workers' comp arose at the turn of the 20th century as a bargain between employees and employers: If a worker suffered an injury on the job, the employer would pay his medical bills and part of his wages while he recovered. In exchange, the worker gave up his right to sue for negligence.

ARAWC's mission is to pass laws allowing private employers to opt out of the traditional workers' compensation plans that almost every state requires businesses to carry. Employers that opt out would still be compelled to purchase workers' comp plans. But they would be allowed to write their own rules governing when, for how long, and for which reasons an injured employee can access medical benefits and wages.

In recent years, companies have used that freedom to severely curtail long-standing benefits.

There's more to the article, it does get more depressing.

So my ETL-HR will have even more time to pretend to know what he's doing on the salesfloor.

Actually I live in a state where Target has opted out of worker's comp. We have benefits, but its reduced. So, Target will follow suit in those states, too. Sorry.

I'm not the least bit surprised.
Deeply disappointed, dejected, disgusted, disenchanted, disillusioned, discouraged, disgruntled, distressed, disconcerted, dissatisfied, and disaffected but not surprised.

Actually I live in a state where Target has opted out of worker's comp. We have benefits, but its reduced. So, Target will follow suit in those states, too. Sorry.
Ditto here, too. There's a posting (next to the labor laws & family leave act) that states that Target does NOT participate in our state's Workman's comp program, that they have their own program.
Looks like everyone else wants to take a page out of spot's playbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back