Worth trying to promote to ETL?

1. Most of our TL were regular TM when they were hired.
2. All 5 of the LOG ETL’s I’ve worked with put in longer hours than ALL the other ETL’s I’ve ever worked with.
Not sure why that is - could be because they are usually the first ones there, Early, and stay,
or could be because the position requires more work
or could be the Personality of those in that position is to ‘try to get it all done’ (which we KNOW is Impossible )
Actually, there was ONE that DIDN’T - but he didn’t last very long - nothing was ever even half done - mess built quickly and he was gone.
3. HR seems to work the fewest hours - never seems to be in. When in, always ‘about to leave’.

I'm not trying to be too mean, but when I was an ETL-LOG and ETL-GM, I would have begged to be an ETL-HR or GE. Those are the two positions that actually got EASIER in modernization. Food and GM became more difficult versions of their previous iterations, and I'd argue Speciality Sales stayed relatively flat (if they took breakout, they would have room to complain, but GM does that for them so half the work is done).

DSD and HRBPs are honestly trained to keep their teams happy. The problem is you do not really see the true sides of SDs and above, who are all out to constantly save their own jobs. Target's culture is to be competitive and always "the best" at your role. However, most leaders at Target aren't actually trained to solve problems or identify process issues. When your boss at Target asks how you are improving X (X being some identified problem by the boss), your answer should always be "I am working on performance managing the person responsible for X, and will find a replacement soon." That is how they hear success, and this is true all the way up to the top. If you are not currently responsible for X (or related to X), then the DSD and HRBP are there to keep you as happy as possible until the new identified X is related to you.

100% accurate!

why is HR or GE easier? isn't GE a lot of getting yelled at by karens and pushing red cards?

Few years ago GE was slightly annoying because of the redcard focus would drive you insane. The company doesn’t push RedCards like they used to. People who know me on here know I used to be a GSTL. We had to end the night with 50 - 70 redcards. It was crazy. Now you do not hear anything about it really. Surveys is more important but the pressure of that is spread across all ETLs kinda.

HR in most stores I’ve been in don’t have LOD shifts or if they do it’s limited. They leave or “not in today” often. Additionally physically they don’t endure the same craziness the other ETLs deal with. HR has their own headaches don’t get me wrong but I can describe it after modernization like a guidance counselor 🤷🏽‍♂️.

If I could primarily be in a office all day my life would be fine. An ETL HR that has only ever done HR will drive you crazy. They’re the person telling you things you need to do without being able to get why it can’t be done because you’re workload drowning you.

To me GE and HR are the easiest as Rock said.

Log, GmETL, and Consumables ETL and the hardest spots imo. I also agree that Softlines ETL hasn’t gotten easier or harder because the breakdown process isn’t owned by them for some odd reason whereas Consumables has been pushed to own it all end to end.

100% accurate!

Few years ago GE was slightly annoying because of the redcard focus would drive you insane. The company doesn’t push RedCards like they used to. People who know me on here know I used to be a GSTL. We had to end the night with 50 - 70 redcards. It was crazy. Now you do not hear anything about it really. Surveys is more important but the pressure of that is spread across all ETLs kinda.

HR in most stores I’ve been in don’t have LOD shifts or if they do it’s limited. They leave or “not in today” often. Additionally physically they don’t endure the same craziness the other ETLs deal with. HR has their own headaches don’t get me wrong but I can describe it after modernization like a guidance counselor 🤷🏽‍♂️.

If I could primarily be in a office all day my life would be fine. An ETL HR that has only ever done HR will drive you crazy. They’re the person telling you things you need to do without being able to get why it can’t be done because you’re workload drowning you.

Log, GmETL, and Consumables ETL and the hardest spots imo. I also agree that Softlines ETL hasn’t gotten easier or harder because the breakdown process isn’t owned by them for some odd reason whereas Consumables has been pushed to own it all end to end.
Considering in my store the we have a hr etl ge etl specialty etl and a gm etl who is in charge of logistics gm and consumables id say the gmetl is by far the hardest etl position and it isnt even close

Considering in my store the we have a hr etl ge etl specialty etl and a gm etl who is in charge of logistics gm and consumables id say the gmetl is by far the hardest etl position and it isnt even close

Yeah if you’re in a store that doesn’t have a log yep absolutely agree. My store is big and we have overnight. I’m the ETL Log overnight. However I have to also run presentation overnight and flexible fulfillment overnight. It legit feels like you’re a mini Store Director.

In your case I have been in stores like that and yep GmETL has the short end of the stick unfortunately. To be really successful though everyone should have a hand in the logistics process. You’re and am unload store right or wrong?

Yeah if you’re in a store that doesn’t have a log yep absolutely agree. My store is big and we have overnight. I’m the ETL Log overnight. However I have to also run presentation overnight and flexible fulfillment overnight. It legit feels like you’re a mini Store Director.

In your case I have been in stores like that and yep GmETL has the short end of the stick unfortunately. To be really successful though everyone should have a hand in the logistics process. You’re and am unload store right or wrong?
Yes we are 4am unload team i was overnight plano and fulfillment tl and have since moved to market tl since we lost our overnight team a week ago

100% accurate!

Recently promoted to ETL GM in a high volume that’s just under the cut off for over night, running a 4am process in a 65 million dollar store with no ETL Food or Log is super draining. Don’t get me wrong I love what I do but sometimes the 14-16 hours a day 6-7 days a week get to you. GM definitely got the short end of the stock with modernization, absorbing logistics and sales floor ETL positions into one makes sense from a planning and execution stand point but is a lot to put on one person. I think everyone should have an ETL GM and a ETL Food in my opinion.

I’ll probably sound dumb now but I thought all stores have a Etl for all the departments. My store has 9 etls
Hr , se, gm1 , gm2, market, inbound , Ap, style , beauty&tech .

I’ll probably sound dumb now but I thought all stores have a Etl for all the departments. My store has 9 etls
That is only true in super high volume stores. Hell most stores don't even have an etl for hr or ap anymore.

Base level stores under 72 are not overnight and do not earn an inbound ETL. Base level 50M-70M only get 5-6 ETLs depending on volume, theft and store model. The average pfresh store including mine has 4. The pre mod rule of thumb was an extra ETL for every 10M dollars over 50M

Recently promoted to ETL GM in a high volume that’s just under the cut off for over night, running a 4am process in a 65 million dollar store with no ETL Food or Log is super draining. Don’t get me wrong I love what I do but sometimes the 14-16 hours a day 6-7 days a week get to you. GM definitely got the short end of the stock with modernization, absorbing logistics and sales floor ETL positions into one makes sense from a planning and execution stand point but is a lot to put on one person. I think everyone should have an ETL GM and a ETL Food in my opinion.
Congrats on the promotion. You earned it. Don't forget what Rock Lobster said.

Last edited:
Base level stores under 72 are not overnight and do not earn an inbound ETL. Base level 50M-70M only get 5-6 ETLs depending on volume, theft and store model. The average pfresh store including mine has 4. The pre mod rule of thumb was an extra ETL for every 10M dollars over 50M
I’m 90mil+ and no longer overnight for over a year now

Back in the day....I rarely saw a TL get promoted to ETL. Most ETLs were recruited straight from Business schools or had previous retail management experience outside of Target. I saw maybe 1-2 TLs get promoted to ETLdirectly. Others tried to move up as Senior Team Leads but were never recognized properly.

I find it the complete opposite now. I saw so many tl-> srtl-> etl promotions in my time. Now all i see are target interns and outside people with huge experience resumes

That is only true in super high volume stores. Hell most stores don't even have an etl for hr or ap anymore.
Mine is an old school super in a mid sized town, 42 mil last year. HRETL, GM, Specialty, Food and GE are what we have. There are 5 other Targets in the county, various 1 other super and one small enough that they just have a Specialty Sales TL, no ETL.

The problem with this is the TLs are supposed to help with the push in their departments. The inbound team pushing in their areas are supposed to be looked at like their DBO pushers. Problem is most TLs don’t do that or they’re swamped with other workload too.

Like you said on paper it sounds great. Sounds like a united front but in practice if every single person isn’t on the same page then it’ll crumble super fast.

It’s possible but one ETL can get everyone on the same page alone. That’s a store culture thing. I know it’s possible because a store in my area unloaded 4 trucks during the AM...crazy.

Unnecessary stress though.

My last store had 1 ETL. They covered all of FB/GM/LOG.
(The Specialty/Apparel TL and the SE TL reported directly to the SD.)

In 2 years, we had 4 different ETLs pass through that role.

I've never been an ETL, myself, but I've held the equivalent position at a nearly $100M Walmart.
50-60 hours a week was pretty normal, with a peak of 70 around the holidays. It was about $10k more than what I now make at Target as a TL... but that's $10k a year, for an extra 10-30 hours of work per week.

And you spend all of those hours trying to do your job, do the job of your TMs, and probably some of your boss's job, all the while listening to every one of your TM's bitch and complain about how hard it is to put merchandise on a shelf and call you lazy for not doing it for them... All without them realizing that when they left the job half-done at the end of their shift, and found that it was finished the next morning when they came in, that it was you that finished it for them; because it's not optional for you. The work needs to get done.
You know that you should coach them for their performance, that's what the company says, but you also know that if they quit, training a new employee is going to make everything even harder. Plus, they might not be any better. Better the devil you know than the one you don't! So you just keep going, trying to keep every department afloat... And you're slowly withdrawing into yourself because listening to everyone's negativity just makes the day even harder. Your wife wonders why you always seem so sad and tired on your day off, but you just give her some vague answer because you can't stand to think about work any more than you have to. Why are you doing this?
You finally decide that the paycheck isn't worth the toll it's taking, and you take a 20k pay-cut to work a 40-hours-a-week job that you actually enjoy. Your days off become times of fun, instead of just recovery. You punch out at the end of the day and look forward to the next day. And you do everything you can to help support your managers, because you know that they're not lazy, they're just beaten.

Anyhoo.... Target doesn't seem nearly as bad as Walmart, though. So YMMV!

My last store had 1 ETL. They covered all of FB/GM/LOG.
(The Specialty/Apparel TL and the SE TL reported directly to the SD.)

In 2 years, we had 4 different ETLs pass through that role.

I've never been an ETL, myself, but I've held the equivalent position at a nearly $100M Walmart.
50-60 hours a week was pretty normal, with a peak of 70 around the holidays. It was about $10k more than what I now make at Target as a TL... but that's $10k a year, for an extra 10-30 hours of work per week.

And you spend all of those hours trying to do your job, do the job of your TMs, and probably some of your boss's job, all the while listening to every one of your TM's bitch and complain about how hard it is to put merchandise on a shelf and call you lazy for not doing it for them... All without them realizing that when they left the job half-done at the end of their shift, and found that it was finished the next morning when they came in, that it was you that finished it for them; because it's not optional for you. The work needs to get done.
You know that you should coach them for their performance, that's what the company says, but you also know that if they quit, training a new employee is going to make everything even harder. Plus, they might not be any better. Better the devil you know than the one you don't! So you just keep going, trying to keep every department afloat... And you're slowly withdrawing into yourself because listening to everyone's negativity just makes the day even harder. Your wife wonders why you always seem so sad and tired on your day off, but you just give her some vague answer because you can't stand to think about work any more than you have to. Why are you doing this?
You finally decide that the paycheck isn't worth the toll it's taking, and you take a 20k pay-cut to work a 40-hours-a-week job that you actually enjoy. Your days off become times of fun, instead of just recovery. You punch out at the end of the day and look forward to the next day. And you do everything you can to help support your managers, because you know that they're not lazy, they're just beaten.

Anyhoo.... Target doesn't seem nearly as bad as Walmart, though. So YMMV!
Very relatable! I lasted a year on salary at my last job, two different positions. Security wasn't too bad, I maybe put in 45-50 hours a week and I enjoyed the job, but dealing with District sucked. The second position was equivalent to plano and pricing at Target, and it sucked. 50-60 hours a week and lots of stress. No work/life balance.

Seems my district has strayed a bit from hiring externally because it hasn’t really worked out. Specially in regards to GM ETL’s.

I think what brings out the real worth on wether one takes on the role or not depends on stuff like the district your in, the volume of the stores and their history. Half of my district seems to be operationally solid and our District guy is fair and actually cares. Because of that I’m considering going into the role someday.

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s a California thing but if you promote from TL to ETL, your vacation time is paid out to you.

Back